IGNORED

Golflogix GPS ?

Note: This thread is 5164 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all, anyone have any experience with the Garmin GolfLogix GPS yet? I've been doing some research and that seems to be the one I'm targeting to buy later in the year.
-Mike

Driver: 450cc, 12 degree
Irons: Rifle steel shafts
Fairway Woods: R7 HybridPutter: Marilyn GPS: Garmin Golflogix GPS-8

I recently purchased a Golflogix GPS and prior to doing it I searched the internet and found very few comments and reviews on it. So for those of you that are planning to buy one or compare it with SkyCaddie or other models, I wanted to share my experience with both the product and the Golflogix company. I am a die hard Garmin fan and have a Garmin GPS for my boat as well as my car

First of all, the response I got from their customer service with respect to my questions was prompt and courteous. My emails were answered within a day and sometimes less than a day. I actually ended up talking with several different people at Golflogix depending on my questions - -

If you do your homework, you will discover that Golflogix and about 9 other companies have been recently named in a class action suit for patent infringement. The patent is basically one that covers measurement to the pin. Golflogix and most other similar devices measure to the center of the green. According to Golflogix management, the suit is frivolous and other than some lawyers making some money over it for the next few years nothing much should become of it.

The second thing I discovered after I got my unit is that it has an option to enable WAAS. I was curious why it didn’t default to WAAS and was told by Golflogix that sometimes the readings became a bit erratic in areas where there was poor WAAS reception and as a result their ‘normal’ setting was without WAAS enabled.

This worried me a bit with respect to accuracy because the official data published for GPS accuracy in general operating without WAAS is about 15 yards. That wasn’t close enough to keep me happy. With WAAS enabled, GPS receivers are capable of being within 3 yards.

Golflogix told me that even without WAAS enabled, their product performed as advertised – which is within 3 yards accuracy. Quite frankly I didn’t believe it so I ran some of my own tests.

As I expected, it was better with WAAS enabled – it typically read within +/-1 yard of the true distance. (I established the ‘true’ distance by averaging all the readings I took). I was thrilled with this type of accuracy. In one case it wandered off by 3 yards.

What blew me away was that without WAAS enabled, it typically read within +/- 2 yards of the true value. There was one isolated case where it wandered off by 4 yards.

I don’t totally understand how it is so accurate but a test is worth a thousand expert opinions and it passed with flying colors. I do understand that if the green is say 300 yards in front of you and the GPS ‘thinks’ you are 3 or 4 yards to the right or left of where you are standing, its effect on the distance to the green is insignificant. As a matter of fact, the worst case error would only occur if the GPS thought you were a few yards directly in front or directly behind where you actually were.

I would also strongly suggest getting a GPS that uses simple AA batteries; not nicad or lithium ion. AA batteries are cheap and you don’t have the hassle of keeping track of a charger and having to take your GPS in and out of your bag. And, if you did what I did – accidentally left it on overnight – all you have to do is pop new batteries in on the way to the golf course.

One major oversight of the Golflogix is that they do not have a distance of last shot read-out. They have gotten enough feedback on that and are responding by promising to have it as a free software upgrade by the end of the year. (Off the record, they told me by the end of October).

The unit reads from 999 yards to the Green to 30 yards. Under 30 yards it displays <30. Let’s face it, when you are that close you are playing by feel not by distance.

I have courses that I play at in New Hampshire, Maryland, and Florida – and every single one of them was mapped and available. For $30 a year for unlimited course access worldwide – you can’t beat it. If your course is somehow not in their database, they will map it for you with a week or so and send you an email to download it.

Another feature is Garmin ruggedness. It is waterproof and shock resistant. Some of the competitive GPS are like cell phones – better not get them to wet!

The Golflogix comes with a year warranty and 30 days money back to try it. They offer free 2 day shipping and are obviously anxious for your business.

As you can tell, I have had a very pleasant experience with the product and company so far -

Thanks TJM, great review

I noticed on their website under "future" they claim to have patents for golf shot/round statistical analysis and tracking that they claim they will bring to market eventually. Personally I think that would be an awesome feature to have a history of rounds and shots stored on the web or desktop software to analyze trends in my game.

I've heard some comments about the fact they only have 3 extra markings besides the green front/center/back. The extra markings would be for hazards I guess? Garmin seems to be trying to balance ease of use in their software and not having to press buttons all the time to get more detailed readings.

I've also read some comments in other places regarding the fact that they plan on releasing a software upgrade later in the year (free to existing users) that adds a few competitive features such as more details for those who desire it as well as shot distance.

-Mike

You are right about the statistical thing. Interestingly enough, they actually had that under product development perhaps 5 or more years ago but shelved it thinking it was ahead of its time.

There are actually two screens you can toggle back and forth - one is the front/middle/back of the green screen and the other is the 'hazards' screen. The nice thing about it is that you don't really have to push any buttons if you don't want to - it will automatically show one of the two screens depending on where you are -

Regards -

TJM

Hi TJM, and all

I dont mean to be rude, especially as its my first post :), but why would an 18 handicapper need one of these GPS devices for golf?

Im a bit sceptical about them anyway to be honest, but even if they do work, how will lthey help you more than a 150 yard marker?

Hi TJM, and all

Knowing the distance from all locations is an asset at any handicap level I would think. Pros carry very detailed yardage books that tell them the distance to everything on all 18 holes. Beyond 200 yards a higher handicapper could calculate a distance for lay up to make their 3rd shot easier for example. Also many public course are poorly marked and only have yardage markers at 2 or 3 points in the fairway.

-Mike

yeah but thats what i mean, a pro golfer can hit shots within feet/inches of his/her intended target. Its a bit different for a mid-high handicapper. Ok so you know its 250 yds to the hole on your second shot, how many mid-high handicappers will pick the right club to lay up, and hit the exact area they want consistantly enough to necessitate this kind of aid?

Hi TJM, and all

When I got my SureShot GPS unit in March of this year, my handicap was 21.1. Since then, it's come down to 18.0. Having exact yardages to the f/c/b of every green, as well as hazards makes me take more confident shots.

Driver: Sumo 10.5°
3 Wood: T40
2 Hybrid: Rescue Dual 16°
3 Hybrid: Rescue Dual 19°
4 Hybrid: Rescue Dual 22°Irons: RAC OS 5-PWWedge: CG12 52°Wedge: 56° SWPutter: RossaBall: Titliest NXT Tour

I contacted Golflogix to inquire about using one of my existing GPSs to load their software onto. They claimed that it could not be done. I understand their marketing ideas and needs to make money, but I doubt seriously that the unit hardware is any different than a normal GPS. If they don't want to market the software only that's fine, I just really hate to be lied to.

I'll bet that I could load the Golflogix software onto my GPS with no problems (I'm sure I'd lose the functionality I currently have on the GPS).

They claim that next year they will be selling a software upgrade to existing Garmin users, we'll see.

Looks like I started some interesting comments! In respone to peeping tom - There are several reasons I bought a Golf GPS -

1. Knowing the distance to hazards is very helpful
2. Knowing where the fairway begins is helpful when hitting over hazards
2. Knowing the distance to the back and front of the green is very helpful
3. Having the GPS improves pace of play because you don't have to look for markers.
4. Knowing how far you hit your last shot helps you calibrate which clubs to select.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY OF ALL:

I love gadgets!

Although I am an 18, I've had my fair share of games in the low 80s so why not take advantage of whatever is available to improve one's game...

TJM

Because golf isn't a game of perfect, it's a game of misses. Beside's, do you really have your clubs dialed in to the exact yardage?

Driver: Titleist 907D1
3W: 906F2 15
5W: Cobra SZ HS
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 21
Irons: Taylormade Rac LT2 Wedges: Vokey SM 52 + 56 Putter: Some old piece of crap

I play some courses that have those damn things in the cart. Just get a yardage sheet from the course. Much cheaper.

Nike Sweet 16

Callaway Steelhead Plus 19*

Srixon I-701 3-P

Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 52* & 58*

Cleveland VP Milled No. 3

I picked up one of the GolfLogix GPS units on eBay. Brand new unit but well under suggested retail. The SureShot looks like it has lots of good features but I wanted something waterproof (got caught in the sprinklers just the other day) and Garmin was simply a GPS brand I trusted with a large selection of professionally mapped courses.

I tested the GolfLogix out on a 9 hole course today that I hadn't played since last year. Lots of odd shaped holes including an island hole and several doglegs that are more L shaped than curved. I shot a 42! I'm currently happy anytime I'm at 45 or under on 9 holes. For me, knowing the distance to the doglegs, end of the fairway on those doglegs and to the back of the green were most important. It gave me a lot of confidence going at the greens and in choosing the right club. I'm certain that using it improved my score with better decision making resulting in more GIRs. Now if it would only fix my bad shots... Overall, big thumbs up on my day one results with the GolfLogix.

WITB:

Driver: HiBore XL 10.5° Fit-On M Gold Fujikura Stiff
Fairway Woods: Big Bertha 3W Fujikura Stiff
FW-Hybrid: Insight XTD 5w 18° Aldila DVS StiffHybrid: Idea Pro 3i 20° Aldila VS Proto Blue By You StiffIrons: Big Bertha 4-PWWedges: CG10 50.08 GW, CG10 56.16 SWPutter: White...

I played 18 holes on another course today and am still very happy with it. I had played this course several times before and was surprised how far off some of the course markers were. It definitely changed my club selections several times. I also have to give the customer support an A+ as they added two courses for me within less than a week of making the request.

I'm providing the feedback since I could not find another post that reviewed the GolfLogix.
WITB:

Driver: HiBore XL 10.5° Fit-On M Gold Fujikura Stiff
Fairway Woods: Big Bertha 3W Fujikura Stiff
FW-Hybrid: Insight XTD 5w 18° Aldila DVS StiffHybrid: Idea Pro 3i 20° Aldila VS Proto Blue By You StiffIrons: Big Bertha 4-PWWedges: CG10 50.08 GW, CG10 56.16 SWPutter: White...

I was reading this thread and was ready to move on when I decided to respond to a few of the naysayers.....

to the poster who asked - are your clubs really dialed into the exact yardage? For me (I use GolfLogix), I would say no - not exact, but I do know how far I hit each club and utilizing a GPS I can quickly make a selection. GPS is not exact, it is +/- a couple of yards and that works for me. If someone wants exact, then that is what the rangefinders can do.

For those who dont see why anyone would use these (outside of the cost consideration) then I would ask you: do you ever look at yardage markers for reference or do you just guess and fire?

As far as those that question the cost or why someone would use one....why do you buy the clubs and balls that you do? Those are expensive - why not just get a cheap set from Wal-Mart or something?...because it helps you with YOUR game. Those that have GPS feel it can help them with THEIR game...so "acknowledge and move on" is what I say.

Here is my review I had posted on another site for someone trying to compare a few GPS units (SkyCaddie and IGolf)

I just purchased the GolfLogix unit from Garmin - here is why I chose the Garmin:

1) I had the one of the very first versions of the SkyCaddie used in conjunction with my Palm Pilot. They had already released a version of the SkyCaddie that looks like - and I believe is now known as - the SG1. I needed some technical support help last year and found they only had 2 guys in their technical department that supported the palm pilot version anymore. They were able to help me fix it, however, the same problem happened again this year. When I called for support this time I was told they were no longer supporting that product and I was out of luck. When reviewing the options on the market today, I was discouraged to see all of the Customer Service issues with the SkyCaddie from other users, as well as my first hand experience. I understand that products do reach a certain point in their lifecycle where the companies no longer have the resources to support their legacy products, but I would like to think they had an upgrade plan or something to offer their early customer base (i.e. - custome loyalty discount).

2) I considered the IGolf based on their pricing and the ability to do some of the "self mapping", that being said, I was concerned about company longevity and support (I did not do a ot of research on their company though). Also, they have not mapped a course I like to play when I travel to visit family - so that played a small part in my decision. With Garmin, I feel very confident they will be around for a long time and GPS is their business.

There are some things missing from the Garmin I would prefer....self mapping, a few more layup points, scorecard, and last shot distance - also it was pricier then the others although I had a 15% discount so that helped. On the positive side - it is a Garmin, it takes AA batteries (which is a big thing for me), auto advance to the next hazard/hole without interaction, unlimited courses for $29/year as opposed to SkyCaddie price structure, and waterproof casing. Also, Garmin's website lists some screen shots of some "futures" that current customers will be able to upgrade to at no cost(hopefully they stick to this). I have played three rounds with the Garmin and I am still evaluating but so far I have been very pleased. The distances seem pretty accurate on the course I have played (same course both times).

I did speak with the Manager at my local "major" golf store and he said of the GPS units either the GolfLogix or SG2 would be my best bet, however he did say that the SkyCaddie's were the most returned product - it could also be because they sell those the most - who knows.

Hope that helps.

Note: This thread is 5164 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!