• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iHack

Simulator accuracy.

20 posts in this topic

How accurate are the golfsmith, golfgalaxy simulators in terms of swing speed launch angle and ball speed? I liked the numbers I saw but am interested in what ya'll think of the accuracy of them.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Depends on the location. I've seen a few different simulators at different Golf Galaxy's

The golf smith I go to is pretty accurate. They have a pretty good set up.

There is not positive answer for this, just depends on the location.

Awards and Achievements

I've been to two different golf simulators in the local area and one was pretty bad.   The software was slow, the flight didn't seem true, the distances were questionable and it was not an enjoyable experience.

The one that I used last year and this year is significantly different.   It is quick to record data and seems to be accurate for distance and ball flight.

Awards and Achievements

I once had a simulator tell me my 8 iron went 230 yards...i like to pretend they are very accurate

How accurate are the golfsmith, golfgalaxy simulators in terms of swing speed launch angle and ball speed? I liked the numbers I saw but am interested in what ya'll think of the accuracy of them.

Generally speaking, I've found most simulators are pretty accurate on measurable factors (e.g. swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, etc.) However you can change several settings that will drastically change projections, like ball flight, carry, and roll. So while you might be able to rely on ball speed, don't assume that you're actually hitting that driver 320. ;-)

Awards and Achievements

My buddy and I went to a local golf shop, flight scope I believe was the simulator they had. He was looking at new clubs. Well it said he was hitting his 7 iron 190-200 yards. Without hitting any other clubs he bought the whole set. I thought this is a genius technique to sell clubs! Lol

Awards and Achievements

My buddy and I went to a local golf shop, flight scope I believe was the simulator they had. He was looking at new clubs. Well it said he was hitting his 7 iron 190-200 yards. Without hitting any other clubs he bought the whole set. I thought this is a genius technique to sell clubs! Lol

And Dishonest. What happens when he gets to the range, or course, and hits that 7i 150, or 160..?

Awards and Achievements

Quote:

Originally Posted by jclark

And Dishonest. What happens when he gets to the range, or course, and hits that 7i 150, or 160..?

On the other hand, lefties don't end up buying anything. That same 7i would read 130 yards on the simulator.

Awards and Achievements

He did get the range and hit that same 7 iron 150-155. He claimed it was his swing not the simulator

Awards and Achievements

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer 4

He did get the range and hit that same 7 iron 150-155. He claimed it was his swing not the simulator

A sucker is born every day.

Awards and Achievements

A sucker is born every day.

Every second!

Awards and Achievements

A local Golf Galaxy fitter told me that his shop sets their simulators a little conservative, so golfers don't get an inflated view of how far they hit the ball. I find I'm a half- to full-club longer on shots hit outdoors, than in the shop.

Yea I figured the swing speed and spin rate would be pretty reliable, as far as shot shape and distance idk. I Don't put much stock in those numbers if anything ill look at carry but even that doesn't make sense, it claimed a 109mph swing with a 9* launch angle carried 275 and rolled out to 302. I think that defys physics with such a low launch. It would look like a forever carrying line drive :-\

Yea I figured the swing speed and spin rate would be pretty reliable, as far as shot shape and distance idk. I Don't put much stock in those numbers if anything ill look at carry but even that doesn't make sense, it claimed a 109mph swing with a 9* launch angle carried 275 and rolled out to 302. I think that defys physics with such a low launch. It would look like a forever carrying line drive :-\

Actually that sounds about right, assuming the spin is down below 2500 RPMs and roll being about 10% of carry the decent angle was very good. Although the launch was a little low, it really wasn't that bad.

Actually that sounds about right, assuming the spin is down below 2500 RPMs and roll being about 10% of carry the decent angle was very good. Although the launch was a little low, it really wasn't that bad.

It was the sldr we talked about with 12* face. Now I just need to rob a bank to afford it.

It was the sldr we talked about with 12* face. Now I just need to rob a bank to afford it.

Well then the spin was real low, that driver ( as we spoke about offline) has low launch with very little spin, its crazy! That's why the new 14 degree is coming out. Yes a 14 degree driver in case other shave not heard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iHack

Well then the spin was real low, that driver ( as we spoke about offline) has low launch with very little spin, its crazy! That's why the new 14 degree is coming out. Yes a 14 degree driver in case other shave not heard.

How much further do you think a person could hit if the driver went from a 9.5 degree to a 14 degree loft? Given the same launch condition with both drivers.

Awards and Achievements

How much further do you think a person could hit if the driver went from a 9.5 degree to a 14 degree loft? Given the same launch condition with both drivers.

Note, that it would be impossible to have the same launch conditions. Higher loft naturally decreases the overall ball speed off the clubhead because the strike is more oblique to the clubface angle. Meaning it reduces smash factor.

Since the SLDR is a very low spin, and a higher loft will basically get the person to a more optimal launch profile.

Les say you have a ball speed of 165 mph, launch angle of 12 degrees, and a backspin of 3000, that would net somewhere around 280 yards of carry

Lets say you have the same 165 mph, launch angle of 15 degrees, and backspin of 2500, that would net around 288 yards of carry.

So basically the SLDR because it is such low spin, you can increase loft with out adding much spin to it, increasing launch angle and hitting it farther.

But, you can also do the same thing with a higher launch golf shaft. That would add loft with out changing the clubhead loft due to how the shaft loads into the ball.

Awards and Achievements