IGNORED

My Swing (Dr Draw)

Dr Draw
Note: This thread is 3496 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 7 Months My current handicap index or average score is: 15 My typical ball flight is: slight draw The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate Sorry guys I'm trying to get this right it's not working for me so this particular post is screwed up.

I've been Playing Golf for: 7 months

My current handicap index or average score is: 15

My typical ball flight is: slight draw

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: shank or a pull hook

Alright, well I got it to work and sorry guys for the last upload that has no video, I can't find out how to delete it. Anyway, this is my swing. I've been fighting a pretty bad pull hook but it wasn't too hard to compromise with by trying to keep my head behind the ball through impact. However, when trying to pursue this technique I feel as if I am not transferring my wait to the front side enough. When this happens, anything can, however it's mostly a pretty bad duff until I really focus hard on turning my lower body before the upper. BUT, suddenly, another problem came. I am shanking the hell out of the ball! It's absolutely disgusting and frustrates me like no other. I've tried everything from backing from the ball to getting more of my weight on my heels at address to prevent all the wait going to my toes on the weight transfer throughout the downswing. Anyway, I really need someones advice on this, it's incredibly annoying. I mean, I just came back from vacation which was a cruise so I do have this awkward feeling as if I am swaying around like I'm on a boat so maybe that could be causing my weight to go on my toes which in turn causing a shank? I don't know. I'm also topping the ball because it feels like my spine is bending too much at the end of the swing it's just really awkward. Please help, thanks.

Videos:

First thing I would recommend is getting the arch out of your lower back, can cause injury and causes to sit back in your heels, which you are doing.

Second I would implement the feels described in these videos.  Right heel is coming off the ground too soon, causing issues with how you control the face.  Have to make too many last second adjustments, so it can lead to shanks or pull hooks.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

First thing I would recommend is getting the arch out of your lower back, can cause injury and causes to sit back in your heels, which you are doing.  [CONTENTEMBED=/t/56069/good-golf-posture layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]  [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/89182/] [/URL] Second I would implement the feels described in these videos.  Right heel is coming off the ground too soon, causing issues with how you control the face.  Have to make too many last second adjustments, so it can lead to shanks or pull hooks. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/89183/] [/URL]

I don't know dude, thanks for the help but I practiced and practiced everything you just told me and I'm still duffing, topping, and most of all, shanking.

First thing I would recommend is getting the arch out of your lower back, can cause injury and causes to sit back in your heels, which you are doing.  [CONTENTEMBED=/t/56069/good-golf-posture layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]  [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/89182/] [/URL] Second I would implement the feels described in these videos.  Right heel is coming off the ground too soon, causing issues with how you control the face.  Have to make too many last second adjustments, so it can lead to shanks or pull hooks. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/89183/] [/URL]

It just doesn't make sense. I know my swing isn't bad but everything that I worked on to fix earlier problems helped in the mean time but doesn't help when another problem comes. This is the worst case of the shanks and every other bad shot I've had in a long time.

He just told you thay stuff 11 hours ago. You aren't magically going to majorly improve in 11 hours. You have to keep practicing it....

Jeff

I don't know dude, thanks for the help but I practiced and practiced everything you just told me and I'm still duffing, topping, and most of all, shanking.

Does it look any different, did you change the picture?  Did you just practice by making full swings and hitting balls?  This isn't some "quick tip" I gave you, you gotta work on this.

Might be good to check this out

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Slow down and practice the Keys he told you at 25% speed (I know you'll still do it at 75% lol). Also, maybe your hands are getting high/out on the downswing (specifically at impact)?...keeping my hands closer to my body on the downswing always helps me hit closer to the sweet spot, anyway. Just trying to help, take my words with a grain of salt. Your swing looks good and I can tell you're super frustrated.

ya, shanking is very frustrating.. I know when I was having trouble shanking with my short game at some point I would get to the edge of the green in 2 and then do a whole circle around the green to finally finish with like a 6 or something.. My buddy used to just look away while I did that.. :)

Those days have past and I can laugh about it now.. So, my advice is just to work on 1/4 swings just concentrating on contact and then gradually moving up to bigger swings..  (I'm trying to give my advice here as well!)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Quote:

Does it look any different, did you change the picture?  Did you just practice by making full swings and hitting balls?  This isn't some "quick tip" I gave you, you gotta work on this.

Simple, Specific, Slow, Short, and Success - The Five "S"s of Great Practice

I mean, I knew what you were talking about with the lower back, and I implemented that into my swing, however I don't really see the point. It didn't feel different, I just felt more slouched over. I hit the ball the same way. Like I wasn't expecting to hit in the center of the face, just some minor improvements that I could notice. What I mostly have problems with is the heel on the ground. It's insanely hard for me to keep it on the ground and every time I felt like it was there, it really wasn't. The ONLY time I can see an improvement in my ball striking is when I'm doing the toe drill. I do hit the ball better, but what feeling is supposed to be implemented? I try a more full swing (about 50-60%) and boom it goes shank, top, duff, etc. I really can see a difference when doing the drill, but I don't see how it can do something to my swing. Rolling my ankles kinda makes me feel like I'll fall forward or back a little bit. I look at videos from my swing when I was hitting it a lot better and it almost looks identical, which tells me there must be something small that is making a detrimental effect on my swing.

If your swing was so good you wouldnt be duffing topping and shanking. You wouldn't be a 15.-I urge you to learn to practice properly and to record your swing with a camera.[quote name="Dr Draw" url="/t/71950/my-swing-dr-draw#post_938731"] I don't know dude, thanks for the help but I practiced and practiced everything you just told me and I'm still duffing, topping, and most of all, shanking.[/quote] [quote name="Dr Draw" url="/t/71950/my-swing-dr-draw#post_938732"] It just doesn't make sense. I know my swing isn't bad but everything that I worked on to fix earlier problems helped in the mean time but doesn't help when another problem comes. This is the worst case of the shanks and every other bad shot I've had in a long time.[/quote] The "why" and sense are in the thread-DId you read it or just look at the pictures?

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

If your swing was so good you wouldnt be duffing topping and shanking. You wouldn't be a 15.-I urge you to learn to practice properly and to record your swing with a camera.

The "why" and sense are in the thread-DId you read it or just look at the pictures?

I'm not trying to say my swing is the best in the world, lol it's obviously not. I'm just confused because I know it's not terrible. This isn't how I normally hit the ball. I got into some funk after my vacation that I can't get out of and it's driving me nuts. My swing isn't the greatest ever, I'm no Tiger Woods, but it just doesn't feel bad enough to hit the ball the way I am. I study my swing like no other man, trust me, and I am comparing my swing from a couple of weeks ago when I was hitting it great to now and not much looks different at all, yet the way the ball comes off the club is obviously saying otherwise. I am just looking for some help on how to fix this.

Here's a video of me practicing the toe up drill:

• Administrator
Here's a video of me practicing the toe up drill:

That's almost full speed.

Look at the blurring of the clubhead and whatnot on the right - you're swinging WELL to the left.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That's almost full speed. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/89218/] [/URL] Look at the blurring of the clubhead and whatnot on the right - you're swinging WELL to the left.

You're looking too far into what I'm saying if all you get from it is me calling him stupid. I'm sure he's a fantastic instructor, and I'm giving him some feedback on what he told me. I'm not a douche, and understand I'm pretty frustrated at my game right now. I never said anything mean to him, I said thanks for his help and am trying his drills that he showed me. Sorry if my pessimistic attitude towards myself offends you, but just understand anything you guys tell me I'm not going to say you're dumb and your advice is worthless, I appreciate everything anyone tells me. The shanks are a pretty annoying, especially right after you've been hitting the ball great for a while.

Maybe this will help.?? I took a lesson from Mike, and can say w/o a doubt, he's an excellent teacher. The things he had me work on I did, and do at about 35 to 50% speed of my normal swing, any more than that, and I goof up more often than not. What he says works, take it from me. Good luck

You're looking too far into what I'm saying if all you get from it is me calling him stupid. I'm sure he's a fantastic instructor, and I'm giving him some feedback on what he told me. I'm not a douche, and understand I'm pretty frustrated at my game right now. I never said anything mean to him, I said thanks for his help and am trying his drills that he showed me. Sorry if my pessimistic attitude towards myself offends you, but just understand anything you guys tell me I'm not going to say you're dumb and your advice is worthless, I appreciate everything anyone tells me. The shanks are a pretty annoying, especially right after you've been hitting the ball great for a while.

Dr Draw, I can understand being upset at your game.  I think what most people are trying to tell you is that the advice given to you so far isn't a quick fix that will quickly improve your game.  The advice/drills given to you are ones you will continually need to do over the coming weeks, and if practiced properly, you will see the changes you want.

What you are describing is very common in players with higher handicaps such as you and myself.  Our swings are inconsistent.  Before your break you were playing well, now you are not.  Next week you may play well again, and the next not so much.  However, to see steady and consistent improvement you need to continue working on the advice given to you and not expect it to happen over night.

I went to the 5SK school with David Wedzik and Erik a year ago and I am still working on the things they suggested to me with much improvement.  I was in a very similar boat as you having played the game a similar amount of time.  Just keep working on it.

Jeff

Dr Draw, I can understand being upset at your game.  I think what most people are trying to tell you is that the advice given to you so far isn't a quick fix that will quickly improve your game.  The advice/drills given to you are ones you will continually need to do over the coming weeks, and if practiced properly, you will see the changes you want. What you are describing is very common in players with higher handicaps such as you and myself.  Our swings are inconsistent.  Before your break you were playing well, now you are not.  Next week you may play well again, and the next not so much.  However, to see steady and consistent improvement you need to continue working on the advice given to you and not expect it to happen over night. I went to the 5SK school with David Wedzik and Erik a year ago and I am still working on the things they suggested to me with much improvement.  I was in a very similar boat as you having played the game a similar amount of time.  Just keep working on it.

Thanks bro. Yeah I understand the advice that he's given me won't help me overnight it's just this frustrating feeling that I can hit balls without hoping that I won't shank it and almost hit the guys further down the range. It's irritating. I can deal with hitting fat shots or thin shots within every 5 but shanks are the most annoying and discouraging miss hits in the world, and it almost feels like they are chronic lol.

Note: This thread is 3496 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!