IGNORED

My Swing (Dr Draw)

Dr Draw
Note: This thread is 3501 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Draw View Post

Is this better?

How are you hitting it? Better?

Just by going off the swing I would say you need to do it more. Make slower swings as well, you don't always have to post a full speed swing, prove to yourself you can change the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

So I would make slow swings, like 50% speed , with you feeling like you don't rotate your left forearm to help the shaft "stand up" on the backswing.

Quote:

Work on It

The best advice in the world is wasted if you don't apply it.

So, once you've found your priority, work on it.

What do we mean by that? Well, we don't mean to just take the tip to the range or your next round of golf and "try it out" while making full swings or keeping score.

What does "work on it" really mean? Basically, it means that you should apply the 5 "S"s of Effective Practice: Simple, Specific, Slow, Short, and Success - The Five "S"s of Great Practice (this is unrelated to 5SK).

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...
How are you hitting it? Better? Just by going off the swing I would say you need to do it more. Make slower swings as well, you don't always have to post a full speed swing, prove to yourself you can change the picture.  [CONTENTEMBED=/t/73197/so-you-joined-tst-and-posted-a-member-swing-thread layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]

Sorry for the late reply, but I was getting solid contact, however I was hooking the ball really bad. One thing I have been noticing in my swing is that weird head jerk around impact that I see with no other golfers other than myself, and I don't like it. On the front view of my swing, my head goes backwards a lot and gets way to far behind the ball on the down swing, and this causes so many inconsistencies. Do you know what could be causing my head jerk movement?

On the front view of my swing, my head goes backwards a lot and gets way to far behind the ball on the down swing, and this causes so many inconsistencies. Do you know what could be causing my head jerk movement?

Could be trying to swing outward without enough weight forward.

Make sure the left foot is turned out and "press" into your left foot on the downswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Could be trying to swing outward without enough weight forward.

Make sure the left foot is turned out and "press" into your left foot on the downswing.

Yeah, that's probably it. I do transfer my weight forward on the downswing, but probably not enough. I was unaware that about 90% of the weight should be on the front at impact! That's crazy! I was putting like 60-70% in which I'd be able to hit the ball solid probably 1/5 times, but pretty inconsistently. How can I do this though without feeling like I'll fall forward and be off balance in the downswing?

Yeah, that's probably it. I do transfer my weight forward on the downswing, but probably not enough. I was unaware that about 90% of the weight should be on the front at impact! That's crazy! I was putting like 60-70% in which I'd be able to hit the ball solid probably 1/5 times, but pretty inconsistently. How can I do this though without feeling like I'll fall forward and be off balance in the downswing?

That's why I shared the video ;-) Using the ground is important, you press into the ground then thrust. That is an important part to the head being steady and not falling forward. Another good one to check out [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/ZvFgIS9udIk[/VIDEO]

Mike McLoughlin

That's why I shared the video

Using the ground is important, you press into the ground then thrust. That is an important part to the head being steady and not falling forward.

Another good one to check out

This is a video I took today in my backyard... As you can tell by my reaction and the ball flight, I thinned this one pretty bad and this has been my consistent misshit. More specifically on the toe of the club and on the bottom. Lately I've been working on is my follow through and at impact when you're supposed to flip the left arm and have your hand facing the target to square the face up, and it worked fine for a day, but then I've just been starting to thin the ball really badly and also occasionally hit a fat one. Sorry I'm jumping around issues lol this is the most recent and destroyed my round of golf today.

I may be out of line here, but swing as full speed will do no good if you can't make good contact. While I have only been here since 10/13, and have taken a lesson from Mike, I can assure Mike knows golf. What I did was to make corrections that Mike gave me was to ...1..slow Way down, as in about 30% of your normal speed, and do the piece over, and over again, if you have a mirror, even better to watch yourself to see that your doing the piece exactly right.

Also, even when I go to the range, my full swing from my take away is a count of, 1001, and I make contact at 1004, that's my normal swing now, so for practice, I do a count of 1001 to 1006 from start to finish, and you can go even slower to ingrain the move, which I highly suggest. If you saw me hit balls even in Nov. compared to now, it's as different as night and day. So, take advantage of what Mike, Erik and others say, it's Free..but most importantly it's Good advice. Anyhow, good luck, hope your swing gets you some low scores.

This is a video I took today in my backyard... As you can tell by my reaction and the ball flight, I thinned this one pretty bad and this has been my consistent misshit. More specifically on the toe of the club and on the bottom. Lately I've been working on is my follow through and at impact when you're supposed to flip the left arm and have your hand facing the target to square the face up, and it worked fine for a day, but then I've just been starting to thin the ball really badly and also occasionally hit a fat one. Sorry I'm jumping around issues lol this is the most recent and destroyed my round of golf today.

That right knee has to lose some flex on the backswing. It actually gains flex and then over flexes on the downswing, going to cause serious contact issues.

Mike McLoughlin

• 4 weeks later...

That right knee has to lose some flex on the backswing. It actually gains flex and then over flexes on the downswing, going to cause serious contact issues.

This is a swing I recorded today before I went to shoot 9 holes... The backswing to me looks alright and on a better plane, but one thing I've noticed is that whenever I try to get a more on plane backswing, my downswing become more so over the top-ish... It looks like I'm really cutting through the ball from out to in and I don't extend really well. Do you know what could be causing this?

Yeah when the right knee stays as flexed as it does, the arms don't have any room to swing outward. Turn both those feet out and make some swings at 50% speed and record them. The sequencing on the backswing to the start of the downswing has to change.

Mike McLoughlin

Yeah when the right knee stays as flexed as it does, the arms don't have any room to swing outward. Turn both those feet out and make some swings at 50% speed and record them. The sequencing on the backswing to the start of the downswing has to change.

I'm not sure what you mean... because if you're talking about on the backswing, I heard that the right knee needs to keep a little flex on the backswing so it has something to push off of in the weight transfer in the downswing.

I'm not sure what you mean... because if you're talking about on the backswing, I heard that the right knee needs to keep a little flex on the backswing so it has something to push off of in the weight transfer in the downswing.

Check this out!!!

Basically, you do not push off your back foot.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

Your right leg muscles don't activate much on the backswing. They're pretty passive. They've done studies wherein they hooked players to machines that can sense nerve and muscle activity, and the right leg doesn't push.

The core is responsible for sliding the hips forward, primarily. The right leg contributes very very little.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Check out that thread. I think it would benefit you to decrease some flex in your rear leg as you increase flex in your lead knee. Like I said, turn both feet out 25 degrees and make some slow swings where you show some "daylight" between the knees at the top of the backswing.

Good video on feet flare

Mike McLoughlin

Check out that thread. I think it would benefit you to decrease some flex in your rear leg as you increase flex in your lead knee. Like I said, turn both feet out 25 degrees and make some slow swings where you show some "daylight" between the knees at the top of the backswing.

Good video on feet flare

Will do. By the way about the feet flare thing I've been doing that it's just the camera angle that probably makes it look like I'm not flaring them out. Sometimes when I flare the right foot out too much it feels a little bit too unbalanced like most of my weight is caving in on the inside of my feet so I try to keep the left a little more flared than the right. Do you think it's a good idea?

Will do. By the way about the feet flare thing I've been doing that it's just the camera angle that probably makes it look like I'm not flaring them out. Sometimes when I flare the right foot out too much it feels a little bit too unbalanced like most of my weight is caving in on the inside of my feet so I try to keep the left a little more flared than the right. Do you think it's a good idea?

Yes I think having the left a bit more flared it perfectly fine. You definitely don't want to have the knee/weight caving in. If anything you want to have the knees rotated outward a bit, will make the motion I'm talking about with the knees A LOT easier. I think you'll also like what it can do for you on the downswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Yes I think having the left a bit more flared it perfectly fine. You definitely don't want to have the knee/weight caving in. If anything you want to have the knees rotated outward a bit, will make the motion I'm talking about with the knees A LOT easier. I think you'll also like what it can do for you on the downswing.

Been working on this and I don't really understand what you guys mean to not keep my right leg so flexed. I've been looking at the swings of Tiger, Rory, etc. and they don't really straighten their right leg either around the top of the backswing. When you say stop getting my leg so flexed, do you mean particularly on the downswing? Because it does kick towards the ball a lot. However whenever I try to do the forward motion, I thin the ball really badly.

Note: This thread is 3501 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!