IGNORED

Right Thumb Position on Grip

cipher
Note: This thread is 3594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does right thumb position matter much?  I usually have it towards the aft side but and wondering if the second position which seems to be more common would be better.  I have been trying to stay aware of what you and Dave were talking about with making sure the left hand grip stays strong.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

This was originally a PM, but I think discussion of this can help people, so I've moved it here, into the public, as I don't think @cipher will mind.

It's a good question.

For me, and this will change a little (only a little) depending on your pattern, but the ideal position for the right thumb tends to be just forward of center. So, more the right-hand image than the left-hand image here:

You can see how the right thumb moves up the aft side of the line on the left, and the fore side of the line on the right. Why is this typically the better position? Because it helps support the club a bit more at the top of your backswing. With the thumb on the aft side of the shaft, depending on the type of player you are, you'll either push against it causing a steepening of the shaft, or you'll want to feel pressure against it and support the club more and you'll lay the shaft off. I will stress again that everyone's a bit different here, and I'm only speaking to a generality, or what would be considered a "neutral" or "average" right thumb.

It's interesting to note the left thumb as well. In the left image, you can see that it's not covered by the heel pad. In fact, in the left image, it's almost a putter grip with both thumbs going down the middle of the shaft (blue arrow). I'd prefer to see that a bit more on the aft side of the shaft, so it fits in the "pocket" of space between your thumbs.

Here are a few pictures of that:

The "thumb track" or the valley formed when you cup your hand is shown in the first two pictures.

Essentially, then, from a right-hander's perspective looking down at their grip:

Your left thumb will be slightly / .

Your right thumb will be slightly \.

The shaft will be splitting the middle: | .

Again, that's the generality. Can you play golf differently? Sure. I've broken par keeping my right thumb literally floating off the club entirely on anything outside of 50 yards (it was injured). These are just the generalities. The primary functions of the thumbs are to support the club at the top of the backswing, and to allow the golfer to sense force and direct force in the proper direction.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Great post Erik, I also believe it is best to have the thumb slightly off center (right image) also. I had some trouble with this in my early years of golf, I had it more down the shaft and for me it felt as if it caused my to cast the club more.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Wow, great answer Erik.  Thanks!  I often felt I have a tendency to shut the club face too much at times with the thumb more towards the aft side of the shaft and hit occasional low hooks.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Erik, thanks for making this public!!  My last couple of lessons from Evolvr have me working on a slightly weaker grip.  In trying to make this change, I've started being conscious of my right thumb location where prior it was never something I thought about.  (I couldn't actually tell you where my thumb lay on my "old" stronger grip)

Now I know where to put it!!

Thanks for the informative post. Always wondered about that.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Good post Erik.

This is a pic I usually post when there is a grip question, just reiterates Erik's post.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Your left thumb will be slightly /.

Your right thumb will be slightly \.

The shaft will be splitting the middle: |.

Excellent way to explain it.  I oftentimes find my right thumb creeping to the center of the grip.  As a result the face seems more liable to close at impact which is obviously bad.  Letting your thumbs "split the difference" will be a good swing thought for me, instead of telling myself "keep that right thumb off the club!"

Interesting discussion for me as I've swapped and changed grip so many times over the years trying to figure out what works best for me. Started out 'neutral', gravitated toward 'strong', started hooking everything so went back to 'neutral' bit by bit and recently found a position which feels like it fits my swing:

Ideally I'd like to have the left hand a little stronger but the wide shoulders and short arms mean pushing it much beyond what I use now becomes a real strain on my left wrist (which I used to suffer with tendinitis on). The right hand sits most comfortably when it's in the position shown but I've also had that stronger as per the OP's right hand in the past; it just doesn't "knit" as well for me. Also allows me to feel the right index finger pressure point better.

Would be interested in whether there's a specific type of swing flaw that might occur if I play this grip from here on out though?

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

That's incredibly weak.-Right hand well on top of the club.-It may "work" for you but i would guess it is covering up for some other issues.-Thats a pretty nonstandard grip outside the normal ranges.[quote name="MiniBlueDragon" url="/t/71954/right-thumb-position-on-grip#post_941432"]Interesting discussion for me as I've swapped and changed grip so many times over the years trying to figure out what works best for me. Started out 'neutral', gravitated toward 'strong', started hooking everything so went back to 'neutral' bit by bit and recently found a position which feels like it fits my swing: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/89896/] [/URL] Ideally I'd like to have the left hand a little stronger but the wide shoulders and short arms mean pushing it much beyond what I use now becomes a real strain on my left wrist (which I used to suffer with tendinitis on). The right hand sits most comfortably when it's in the position shown but I've also had that stronger as per the OP's right hand in the past; it just doesn't "knit" as well for me. Also allows me to feel the right index finger pressure point better. Would be interested in whether there's a specific type of swing flaw that might occur if I play this grip from here on out though? [/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Everyone I've seen who has their right thumb in the center of the shaft has a slice trajectory. I don't know if that's just a coincidence or if it has something to do with what Eric said above.

Duh what an idiot. I took several photos and uploaded the wrong one, sorry guys. This is my normal grip:

Slightly better than the other one I posted. That's as far "strong" as my left wrist will go without strain so I'm not sure if there's a specific type of shot problem I can expect when using it?

Mods please feel free to remove the previous post as it does nothing but confuse. :/

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Duh what an idiot. I took several photos and uploaded the wrong one, sorry guys. This is my normal grip: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/89897/] [/URL] Slightly better than the other one I posted. That's as far "strong" as my left wrist will go without strain so I'm not sure if there's a specific type of shot problem I can expect when using it? Mods please feel free to remove the previous post as it does nothing but confuse. :/

That's what my "current" grip looks like.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Great Post!

I use this grip with the exception (which you probably wouldn't see in a pic) of that my right thumb is "relaxed" and kinda just sitting there. Reason for this....if I "grip" the club with my right thumb I tend to squeeze the ball to the right. It just opens the club face up for me at impact, so I just relax that right thumb. Now on the other hand I do grip that right thumb if I want to hit a little more than a baby fade. It works for me.....

Driver      -  K15 10.5 w/ Ping TFC149D Shaft in stiff

4 Wood   -  Rapture V2 17.5* Aldila S-75

Hybrid    -   Super Hybrid SS 19* w/ Matrix Program

Irons      -   i20's 3-W, UW, SW & LW w/ KBS Tour Stiff +1/2" White Dot

Putter    -   White Ice #9 33"

Ball       -   B330-S & B330-RXS

D2 Feel

Bragging about a 200 yard 7 iron is not golf.

Everyone's talking about the right thumb aspect.  Just a nod to the thumb slot aspect too.  The instructor in one of the few lessons I've taken told me about that, and it's something that's really helped me at various points over the years.  I've found that if I don't keep my left (top) thumb in the slot in the right palm my grip can get a little fingery and the club can get wobbly at the top, causing various problems.  Also, keeping the top thumb in the slot helps with consistency of face control for me too, as a certain amount of "push" has more consistent effects on the club and face when the hands are more securely together and solidly attached to each other and the grip.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

How timely is it to discover this thread eh? I was just introduced to this grip yesterday by my clubs pro in a lesson on wedges and almost instantly this had to effect of flattening out my swing so I wasnt leaving a canyon sized divot in the ground. Really felt weird, almost like I was holding a wooden cavemans club! When I got home there was a thankyou card from the ground staff waiting for me :) Regards Mailman

Mailman

• 4 weeks later...
As of late I am having tremendous difficulty with my grip. I use an interlocking grip and have been struggling with my thumbs on my grip. I am a righty and my left thumb is causing me all sorts of issues. I am fighting a push slice and have tried to adjust my grip to solve it. When I try to make my left hand stronger my left thumb feels uncomfortable. Any ideas how to fix my grip problems?

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

As of late I am having tremendous difficulty with my grip. I use an interlocking grip and have been struggling with my thumbs on my grip. I am a righty and my left thumb is causing me all sorts of issues. I am fighting a push slice and have tried to adjust my grip to solve it. When I try to make my left hand stronger my left thumb feels uncomfortable. Any ideas how to fix my grip problems?

Are you using a short, or long thumb..?  I use a long thumb, and find that my right thumb lays on top of my left, no discomfort or weird feeling. OTH, if you use a short thumb, I could see where it would feel uncomfortable. Also, if I try a short thumb I tend to hit pushes...so maybe....????

Note: This thread is 3594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!