IGNORED

Putter grips

Dables
Note: This thread is 3724 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just picked up a new (to me) putter and I hate the grip. I know many companies have their own grip styles, there's the pistol grip, and those big fat grips I see sometimes. What are the advantages of the different styles?

• Administrator

Personal preference, mostly.

I prefer a round grip. It can't mess with my aim if it's installed a degree or more "off" from being square.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm looking at a mid size round grip, my hands aren't all that big, but a normal grip just seems to small. I really like the Lampkin, but my pro shop doesn't carry them..:(

The big grips are meant to take your hands out of the stroke and eliminate the yips but they take away feel on long putts. The normal style allows your hands to move on short putts but you get better feel on long putts. Hope this helps

Sam Gray

Whats in my :ping: Ping Hoofer Carry Bag?
Driver: :ping: Ping G25 9.5*    Shaft: Graphite Design AD DI 7x
3 Wood: :callaway: Callaway X HOT Pro 3 Deep 14.5       Shaft: Diamana Blue Board 83x
Hybrid: :adams:
 Adams A12 prototype 20*  Shaft: Aldila Rip NV blue prototype 80x
3 iron--Pitching Wedge: :mizuno: MP-64 irons 1* flat      Shafts: KBS Tour Stiff 
Wedges: :cleveland: 588 Forged 54 degree 12 degree bounce and 61 degree 9 degrees bounce   
Putter: :ping: Ping Karsten 1959 Anser 2

I'm looking at a mid size round grip, my hands aren't all that big, but a normal grip just seems to small. I really like the Lampkin, but my pro shop doesn't carry them..:(

Have you tried the ultraslim from superstrokegolf?

Sam Gray

Whats in my :ping: Ping Hoofer Carry Bag?
Driver: :ping: Ping G25 9.5*    Shaft: Graphite Design AD DI 7x
3 Wood: :callaway: Callaway X HOT Pro 3 Deep 14.5       Shaft: Diamana Blue Board 83x
Hybrid: :adams:
 Adams A12 prototype 20*  Shaft: Aldila Rip NV blue prototype 80x
3 iron--Pitching Wedge: :mizuno: MP-64 irons 1* flat      Shafts: KBS Tour Stiff 
Wedges: :cleveland: 588 Forged 54 degree 12 degree bounce and 61 degree 9 degrees bounce   
Putter: :ping: Ping Karsten 1959 Anser 2

Have you tried the ultraslim from superstrokegolf?

Nope. I'm going later this week to get new grips, so I'll give them a look see. Thanks

I recommend the superstroke ultra slim!! Struggled loads with my putting and tried the bigger superstroke and felt like I was holding a baseball bat. Then I tried the ultra slim version. Slightly bigger than standard grip but just feels right and has helped me out with distance control!!

What's In My :: 9" Lightweight Stand Bag

R9 9.5 Degree Stiff Motore 65g
G10 3-Wood v2 Proforce High Launch Stiff
R7 Draw Rescue 3 + 4 Irons i15 green dot, + 1/2 inch- 5-PW 54+60 SM Tour Chrome Studio Style Newport 2 35 inch NXT Tour BallHome Course: http://www.ruffordpark.co.uk

I recommend the superstroke ultra slim!! Struggled loads with my putting and tried the bigger superstroke and felt like I was holding a baseball bat. Then I tried the ultra slim version. Slightly bigger than standard grip but just feels right and has helped me out with distance control!!

I'll 2nd this. Just put a new putter in the bag and a SS US and I may never go back to conventional pistol or paddle again!

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I have the big Winn grip on my putter and like that a lot better than the little grips I've had previously.

REALLY like the fat Super Stroke (yes, the 5.0) grip even more (keeps my hands quiet and that's my biggest thing).  But I don't think it'll fit thru my bag slots.  So the Winn is a good compromise.

Bill - 

I purchased a new putter a few weeks back and had the SuperStroke 3.0 grip put on it. I really like it a lot. I've got long skinny fingers which are great when I want to play my guitar...not so much when putting. As others have said, the new grip really seems to quiet my hands and wrists and just makes my putting stroke seem more solid. So much of it is feel, though, so try some out if you can first.

I have used all four sizes of Winn and preferred the mid over the others. I hated the giant, it was the old version that weighed 240 grams and made the head weight seem very lite. The jumbo was not bad but just a little to big for my tastes but I do have many friends that like and use this grip. The standard size was my second favorite. The mid is just a bit over sized but not so much that I had to change my grip and this is the one I currently use on my putter. I would go try a few and see that suits your game best.

Just got back from the pro shop, I opted for the Super Stroke Slim 3.0. After trying the Lampkin and the Winn, the Super Stroke felt the best to me. Now I have wait for 48 hrs before I can try it out, apparently they have a plastic sleeve, and the glue takes much longer to dry.. :-(

Just got back from the pro shop, I opted for the Super Stroke Slim 3.0. After trying the Lampkin and the Winn, the Super Stroke felt the best to me. Now I have wait for 48 hrs before I can try it out, apparently they have a plastic sleeve, and the glue takes much longer to dry..:-(

Glue??? There shouldn't be any GLUE involved. I use air to put on my putter grips so I can use them on many different putters when ever I want. If anything they should've used 2 sided tape and some kind of solvent. When I install one permanent I use 2 sided tape and lighter fluid. The lighter fluid dries very fast and can be used on any club within an hour.

-Landon

Glad you found one that you like, let us know how it ends up working for you, I have a grip I like and works well for me but as soon as I three putt twice in a round I'm looking for the next best grip.

Glue??? There shouldn't be any GLUE involved. I use air to put on my putter grips so I can use them on many different putters when ever I want. If anything they should've used 2 sided tape and some kind of solvent. When I install one permanent I use 2 sided tape and lighter fluid. The lighter fluid dries very fast and can be used on any club within an hour.

I thought he said glue..? I could be wrong, I'm not a club builder type, I  can build a house though..lol Maybe he said that because of the plastic tube in the grip, the adhesive on the tape takes longer to dry..? All I know is, I won't be using it until Sat..

I thought he said glue..? I could be wrong, I'm not a club builder type, I  can build a house though..lol Maybe he said that because of the plastic tube in the grip, the adhesive on the tape takes longer to dry..? All I know is, I won't be using it until Sat..

I'll build your clubs if you build me a house. Deal? :-D When I hear little things like that it makes me question some one's ability/knowledge as a "club builder". Hope it works for you.

-Landon

I'll build your clubs if you build me a house. Deal?

Oh....sure thing...Ummm, add about 400k on your end though.... :-D

Oh....sure thing...Ummm, add about 400k on your end though....:-D

I'm easy to please. Knock off about $200k and we can talk. ;-)

-Landon

Note: This thread is 3724 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!