IGNORED

Does moderate drinking help loosen up your muscle to play better golf?

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 3740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The responses I see are consistent with what many of my playing partners have observed about themselves. The definition of "moderate" is probably the most important factor. I think the only real danger is "over-cooking" oneself as @MS256 mentioned in an earlier post.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/alcohol-full-story/

This article seems to indicate that muscles and bones are affected negatively, while the nervous system has a slight positive effect. http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/10/1/71

Another article seems to indicate that it does, in fact, enhance archery performance: http://www.acsm.org/docs/current-comments/alcoholandathleticperformance.pdf .

The reason why it works for archery is that the release in archery is the act of relaxing the finger muscles the same way every shot. However, it is banned as a PED by Fita (Like a "USGA" for archery) and the Olympic committee.

I am not sure what it would improve physically in a golf swing, other than make the golfer happy and relaxed.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am no longer welcome at Glenview Golf Course in Cincinnati after a beer golf outing back in 1984!

Seriously, I don't like to drink much when I play. I will have a beer or two if I am playing a friendly game with a friend of mine.  But usually my game goes south and I get tired near the end of the round.  I don't drink during my league competition.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Are you kidding? A few drinks makes you better at everything! Shoot better pool, throw better darts, better bowler... even better at finding a nice looking girl at a party at 3am (thanks to beer goggles). I don't think a can of swing oil or two makes THAT much difference in your actual game. It may make you FEEL like you're swinging better, and that may take some of the doubt away so you are a bit more relaxed (not necessarily relaxed FROM the alcohol) in your approach to the game. But there is a fine line between swing oil and a catastrophe. As for "Moderate" drinking? that's a different story- it would be different amounts for different people.

For couple of Sundays after a poor morning round, we had lunch with a glass of wine and went out to play another round.   For the 1st 9 holes, we fared better than the morning round.   Most likely, it was mere coincidence.  However, I noticed, I lost some tension in my body and swings were a bit freer.   I understand it's a fine line between modest drinking and getting drunk (piss poor golfing result).   I was wondering if others have any anecdotal reasons to believe a beer or two help them loose up.   Golf is a mental game.  So, it may have placebo effect if one believes firmly a drink or two helps ;-) .

Adding "drinking" to 5SK ... it'd be the easiest "step" to master :beer: .

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

For couple of Sundays after a poor morning round, we had lunch with a glass of wine and went out to play another round.   For the 1st 9 holes, we fared better than the morning round.   Most likely, it was mere coincidence.  However, I noticed, I lost some tension in my body and swings were a bit freer.   I understand it's a fine line between modest drinking and getting drunk (piss poor golfing result).   I was wondering if others have any anecdotal reasons to believe a beer or two help them loose up.   Golf is a mental game.  So, it may have placebo effect if one believes firmly a drink or two helps .

Adding "drinking" to 5SK ... it'd be the easiest "step" to master  .

Where you play, I would be highly disappointed if you did not drink a glass of wine before the back 9. Clearly, you were a happy and relaxed golfer on the back 9.
;-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

The key here is moderation .  I've been in a few groups where the golfers should have been cited for a DUI.

• Upvote 2

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Quote:

Where you play, I would be highly disappointed if you did not drink a glass of wine before the back 9. Clearly, you were a happy and relaxed golfer on the back 9.
;-)

Need to stash emergency drinks in my bag .... cart girls stop making rounds after 4:00 pm. :-D

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Need to stash emergency drinks in my bag .... cart girls stop making rounds after 4:00 pm.

There's always a hip flask in my bag with either bourbon or scotch in case it all goes to sh*t on the back 9.

Tyler Martin

Any amount that you can actually feel is going to negatively affect your game IMO. Anything less than that is likely not going to have an impact at all.

I just seperate rounds depending on how important it is for me to play well. For example, all morning rounds are sober rounds in which I'm trying to go low. Some afternoon rounds, though not all, are much more laid back and we will drink along the way. If I'm going to drink during the round though, I'm drinking more than 1 or 2 beers per side so I don't mind losing a couple strokes along the way.

I see a lot of folks drinking and playing golf.   Does anyone find drinking helpful in relaxing one's muscle and help play better?

I don't know about the physical muscle… but a teeny bit may help the mental muscle… I am known to nurse a bourbon throughout a back 9 … just enough to not care too much.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Do you liquor guys carry that trend throughout the summer as well? I'm a big bourbon whiskey guy during the cold weather months, but liquor during the heat of the summer does not appeal to me at all. I'm strictly a beer guy once it's warm enough to be wearing short sleeves. Just wondering if everyone is like me or if I'm the odd one?

The key here is moderation.  I've been in a few groups where the golfers should have been cited for a DUI.

People can do that even without DUI.  I've got my cart stuck on cart path divider and 4 of us had to lifted it up and put it back on path.  Just saw a lady drive her cart over a large bush.  I had to get it down for her.  She was reaching for a dropped scorecard and veered off the path.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Do you liquor guys carry that trend throughout the summer as well? I'm a big bourbon whiskey guy during the cold weather months, but liquor during the heat of the summer does not appeal to me at all. I'm strictly a beer guy once it's warm enough to be wearing short sleeves. Just wondering if everyone is like me or if I'm the odd one?

On the rocks…. nursing it.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

On the rocks…. nursing it.

Yep. On a hot day, I would much rather have liquor on the rocks than beer. Beer sits too heavy in my stomach when it's hot. If straight liquor on the rocks doesn't suit you, 7 and 7 is also a good option on a hot day.

Tyler Martin

I drink beer on the course (I'm usually a wine drinker) for the lower alcohol content and, well, it's more refreshing.  I'm not a lightweight, but anything stronger than beer would eventually lead to a buzz, which I don't think I could deal with out there.  To address the original question, I think it depends on the individual.  I've played without drinking, and my game didn't change.

Well, start drinking makes sense when a round cannot be salvaged.   It will help forget about the round, and post a high score (pad more sand in that bag for future tournaments ;-) ).

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

4 beers is my normal round, 5,6,or 7 and I am either already guaranteed to win $$$ for the day or the day can not be salvaged (or the cart girl starting showing up every other hole to pad her daily take)

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I'm new to golf, but a very experienced drinker and early in my golf career have found that for me 1 beer per 9 holes puts me in the optimum buzz zone. Anything more and the snowmen start piling up.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Note: This thread is 3740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!