IGNORED

Does moderate drinking help loosen up your muscle to play better golf?

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 3740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you liquor guys carry that trend throughout the summer as well? I'm a big bourbon whiskey guy during the cold weather months, but liquor during the heat of the summer does not appeal to me at all. I'm strictly a beer guy once it's warm enough to be wearing short sleeves. Just wondering if everyone is like me or if I'm the odd one?

I prefer beer, when it's hot or otherwise, but the flask of bourbon is always in the bag. Typically the only time I touch it is to snap myself out of a funk, but it pretty much always has the desired effect

If the weather is at all hot, I need water on the front and some sports drink (non-alcoholic) on the back so I don't start getting leg cramps. (I use up potassium faster than most).

I love a beer after the round is over, but I really don't drink alcohol during the round - don't need water flushed out of my system..

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I see a lot of folks drinking and playing golf.   Does anyone find drinking helpful in relaxing one's muscle and help play better?

Complete BS.........................

Will a brain surgeon perform better with a buzz?   I think not...........

• Upvote 1

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Yeah,,,pretty much what Buckeye said!!!

Either way you have to factor in tolerance when your talking about drinking. A couple drinks to relax a heavy drinker may get a light drinker pretty buzzed and not thinking clearly. If you can't relax or play well on the golf course without a drink then you might want to "find a meeting" if you know what I mean!

Personally, I enjoy a couple cold drafts on the 19th hole after I have played.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

I wouldn't equate playing a game to brain surgery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

I wouldn't equate playing a game to brain surgery.

Actually, I saw a documentary that showed doctors performing all kinds of surgeries under the influence ...

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Actually, I saw a documentary that showed doctors performing all kinds of surgeries under the influence ...

Okay. But I still wouldn't equate playing golf to surgery. It's like comparing a banana to an Uzi.

If you're among the 98% of players who are out to enjoy a day with a few friends and aren't worried about the Walker Cup, a local Club event or any OTHER form of competitive playing- enjoy that beer or 3. It's probably closer to 99.9%, but anyway... Have your fun, and I'll join right in. But to paraphrase the words of Wil Wheaton: "Don't be a dick" about it. I'll laugh to myself when I hook up with someone who won't have a beer "because it affects my game...". Buddy, I see your game- have a beer.:-P

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Okay. But I still wouldn't equate playing golf to surgery. It's like comparing a banana to an Uzi.

Agreed.   golf != brain surgery.   golf is definitely more fun but both take years of training to be good at. :-)

I thought this thread would have more humorous replies.   People aren't drinking enough beers before posting .... ;-)

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I'll laugh to myself when I hook up with someone who won't have a beer "because it affects my game...". Buddy, I see your game- have a beer.

Oh, was that you laughing at me?  I should have said ... "my club does not allow sneaking in a case of beer and buying beers from cart can drain my golf budget."    Seriously, I see players bringing 24 - 30 can case.    No wonder there are guys urinating all over the course despite having restrooms strategically located.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayG

I'll laugh to myself when I hook up with someone who won't have a beer "because it affects my game...". Buddy, I see your game- have a beer.

Oh, was that you laughing at me?  I should have said ... "my club does not allow sneaking in a case of beer and buying beers from cart can drain my golf budget."    Seriously, I see players bringing 24 - 30 can case.    No wonder there are guys urinating all over the course despite having restrooms strategically located.

Is this at the nice winery course you normally play?. . . I might have to change my mind about going to your course in the spring. . . :-\

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Is this at the nice winery course you normally play?. . . I might have to change my mind about going to your course in the spring. . .

Nah, it's a cheap course I used to frequent a few years ago ...

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I'm new to golf, but a very experienced drinker and early in my golf career have found that for me 1 beer per 9 holes puts me in the optimum buzz zone. Anything more and the snowmen start piling up.

1 beer per 9 holes??? I'd rather not drink and play serious or take the snowmen than do 1 beer. That's just teasing me. If I'm going out for a late afternoon weekend round with the buddies, it is never a formal competition. It is more just time outside enjoying the day. I'd say I probably drink about 4 beers per 9 holes on these rounds (a lot of these are just 9 hole rounds, if we play a back nine I dial it back a bit) because if I'm drinking, I want to feel the buzz. I'm not drinking to relax my hands so I can putt better or whatever crazy ideas are out there, I'm drinking because it's refreshing, I enjoy the buzz, and it's a great time with my friends. With that said, I would not condone this behavior if you have to drive home. I live right next to the course and drive my golf cart a short distance to get onto the 9th hole and then head up to the clubhouse.

1 beer per 9 holes??? I'd rather not drink and play serious or take the snowmen than do 1 beer. That's just teasing me. If I'm going out for a late afternoon weekend round with the buddies, it is never a formal competition. It is more just time outside enjoying the day. I'd say I probably drink about 4 beers per 9 holes on these rounds (a lot of these are just 9 hole rounds, if we play a back nine I dial it back a bit) because if I'm drinking, I want to feel the buzz. I'm not drinking to relax my hands so I can putt better or whatever crazy ideas are out there, I'm drinking because it's refreshing, I enjoy the buzz, and it's a great time with my friends. With that said, I would not condone this behavior if you have to drive home. I live right next to the course and drive my golf cart a short distance to get onto the 9th hole and then head up to the clubhouse.

I understand where you're coming from. I've played rounds where I had a beer every 2 or 3 holes. I'm just stating from my experience that I seem to relax and play better with 2 beers on an 18 hole round. The times I started drinking more I tended to shoot worse. Now looking back you could say what came first the chicken or the egg, but I'm just stating my personal performance when it comes to playing while drinking moderately. Also, I don't live within walking distance of any of the courses I play so I'm not gonna have much more than I already do and drive anyway. 1 or 2 beers is totally relaxing for me and I'm able to enjoy it without feeling "teased."

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

I understand where you're coming from. I've played rounds where I had a beer every 2 or 3 holes. I'm just stating from my experience that I seem to relax and play better with 2 beers on an 18 hole round. The times I started drinking more I tended to shoot worse. Now looking back you could say what came first the chicken or the egg,

chicken vs egg discussion might be pertinent

I play better with a couple drinks.  I also play better when it's just a relaxed round with friends

usually, in a relaxed round with friends, we have a few drinks....so which is it?

I also play better by myself, I'm most relaxed then.  Yet I don't drink then.

so it's probably not the drinks, but sometimes the cocktails are part of the package of the good rounds

Bill - 

I understand where you're coming from. I've played rounds where I had a beer every 2 or 3 holes. I'm just stating from my experience that I seem to relax and play better with 2 beers on an 18 hole round. The times I started drinking more I tended to shoot worse. Now looking back you could say what came first the chicken or the egg, but I'm just stating my personal performance when it comes to playing while drinking moderately.

Also, I don't live within walking distance of any of the courses I play so I'm not gonna have much more than I already do and drive anyway. 1 or 2 beers is totally relaxing for me and I'm able to enjoy it without feeling "teased."

Yea, and I don't blame you. I'm fortunate to live close and also fortunate to get to play a lot of golf. A normal Saturday for me during the summer begins with about an 8:00 or 8:30 morning round where we all meet up and it's a dog fight. Everyone that tees off in our group is there to shoot low and to win. We chat like any good friends will do, but it's a serious round and everyone is trying to win. Occasionally a small wager is made, but it's typically just bragging rights.

Then that afternoon a lot of times we meet up again a few hours before dark. These are our relaxed drinking rounds. Sometimes they are 18 holes and sometimes just 9, but they are always a great time. Then we usually go back to the house and watch some baseball or something. I undoubtedly play worse when I drink though so on the rare occasions we have serious afternoon rounds, I don't bring the slightest amount of alcohol.

Everyone should do what is enjoyable to them. Like someone else said, I've seen guys pack an entire case into a cooler for their round. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, assuming they are respecting the course, other players, and aren't going to endanger anyone by driving themselves home. Golf is meant to be an enjoyable game, and that means different things to different people.

Like someone else said, I've seen guys pack an entire case into a cooler for their round. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, assuming they are respecting the course, other players, and aren't going to endanger anyone by driving themselves home. Golf is meant to be an enjoyable game, and that means different things to different people.

If one is drinking a 24 pack case of beer (or even split the case with his partner), they are not going to be in a position to play 18 holes without doing harm to themselves or annoying others.   I say they are playing way beyond relaxed, and DUI albeit a slow moving cart.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

If one is drinking a 24 pack case of beer (or even split the case with his partner), they are not going to be in a position to play 18 holes without doing harm to themselves or annoying others.   I say they are playing way beyond relaxed, and DUI albeit a slow moving cart.

They are split between multiple people I'm sure and probably rarely finished but regardless, it's none of my concern. I personally choose not to play with groups that I feel overdo it, but how they choose to play golf is not for me to decide. If they become an annoyance or behave poorly, then it becomes an issue for every one on the course, but knock on wood I have never seen anyone get to the point that they are bothering people outside of their group. Besides, if their sole purpose is to get drunk I doubt they would come to a golf course. Seems as if someone's house or a bar would be a better setting. I don't think anyone wants to go to a golf course and drink to the point where they can't reasonably play golf.

Note: This thread is 3740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!