IGNORED

Does moderate drinking help loosen up your muscle to play better golf?

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 3736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't think anyone wants to go to a golf course and drink to the point where they can't reasonably play golf.

True but some end up totally wasted regardless of their initial intention of playing a round of golf.   I've played with a more than few whom we had to be weary of their behavior after they got totally drunk.  For example, one guy started drinking from 1st tee, offering his liquor bottle to others (us and the group behind) from 3rd hole, and was out of control by back 9.   He also started smoking joint at hole #10.    As I have alluded earlier, I seen guys who had to relieve themselves in the course on every few holes.

In any case, from the responses, I am concluding that most believe moderate drinking can help relax but it's not likely to improve anyone's score.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

. . .

In any case, from the responses, I am concluding that most believe moderate drinking can help relax but it's not likely to improve anyone's score.

Not likely to improve one's mechanics, but score is another thing. It might very well improve that! :beer:

I'll only hit the 3 wood off the tee when drinking. I don't drink and drive. ;)

Yes, drinking and driving is highly discouraged.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Am surprised by the amount of drinking ye guys do. It is virtually unheard of over here in Ireland. Maybe it's the weather, maybe it's because we're too hungover from the night before :) But I've only played 2 rounds were a group member was drinking and they were drinking alone. When I'm on a golf course, I'm there to play golf. I'll go to the pub if I want a drink.
  • Upvote 1

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/71963/does-moderate-drinking-help-loosen-up-your-muscle-to-play-better-golf/36#post_939407"]   Is this at the nice winery course you normally play?. . . I might have to change my mind about going to your course in the spring. . .:-\ [/QUOTE] Nah, it's a cheap course I used to frequent a few years ago ...

Good, I should still be good for spring, then.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

When I'm on a golf course, I'm there to play golf. I'll go to the pub if I want a drink.

I am with you on that.   I never drank during round.   I drank before a round :-) , twice recently, with lunch in between rounds (my morning round was piss poor, got mad, ate lunch and drank, and went back again for more humiliation fun).

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Good, I should still be good for spring, then.

Want to bet a beer a hole :-D ?   Well, I see that you need to establish an handicap first.   No sandbagging ....

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/71963/does-moderate-drinking-help-loosen-up-your-muscle-to-play-better-golf/54#post_939542"] Good, I should still be good for spring, then.[/QUOTE] Want to bet a beer a hole :-D ?   Well, I see that you need to establish an handicap first.   No sandbagging ....

Do you mean drink a beer per hole lost, or owe a beer per hole for after the round?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I have nothing against golfers that drink..........  so long as they don't get so drunk that they get stupid/drunk and hold up play and/or damage the course during the process.

With that said, being physically impaired in no way will improve a golfers performance.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I'll only hit the 3 wood off the tee when drinking. I don't drink and drive. ;)

You are a good man!

All kidding aside, I've played in a few corporate outings when I left in a hurry afterward to get on the road before the drunks!  I played in an annual outing when hard drinks were served at every tee!  The thought of watching all those golfers get in their cars afterwards to drive home was a scary thought!  I know for a fact that many were near falling-down drunk....

What's in Paul's Bag:

You are a good man!

All kidding aside, I've played in a few corporate outings when I left in a hurry afterward to get on the road before the drunks!  I played in an annual outing when hard drinks were served at every tee!  The thought of watching all those golfers get in their cars afterwards to drive home was a scary thought!  I know for a fact that many were near falling-down drunk....

And If there were an accident, the servers and course could be held accountable. Serving someone at every tee is just Stoopid, and the people taking those drinks aren't much better.

It's shocking to hear all these stories. Thankfully over here (Ireland) there is almost zero tolerance for it now. One drink limit and you're looking at a very very long time off the road if caught. It's fairly heavily policed and over the last 10-20 years it has almost eliminated drink driving. We are failing to live up to our national stereotype (thankfully) Drinking on a course is frowned upon. Drink driving is nearly a thing off the past.

How could anyone do anything better after drinking..??  I think it's been proven that you certainly can't drive better.

In golf motor skills are paramount, alcohol defeats that.

I bowl better after copious amount of alcohol...and I mean every time. I proved it again last Sunday. My highest score? 268, I was plastered.

I can also skateboard better with moderate amounts of alcohol. In skateboarding if you do not completely commit to a trick, there's a very good chance you won't land it, alcohol helps that. Liquid courage.

Golf? Alcohol has NEVER helped. Never. I still have fun, but I turn into an even bigger hack than I already am.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

I don't drink a heck of a lot when playing but my buddy does...and with good reason, until he has a couple cans of "easy swing" he's not worth much at all. Can't explain it...can guess, but won't....just a fact.

I can actually see where a couple beers could potentially help someone that allows their head to get in the way of their game, like RandomGolfer said. Just relax and swing.

With that said, I think in general it would have a negative effect. Also, I feel that it may have a relationship with handicap as well. I think a high handicap player is more likely to play better with a couple beers than a low capper.

I wouldn't equate playing a game to brain surgery.

I will rephrase for you............

Will a drunk stealing a wedge left lying next to a green have a better chance of escaping and running away from pursuers if he is under the influence?..........or sober?

HEH

:-P

;-)

What's in Paul's Bag:

I've never bought a drink while playing but I've had others in the group buy a round a couple times and it seemed to make me play worse each time.  I don't drink much anyway and am normally very relaxed while playing so all it did was make it hard for me to focus when hitting the ball (bad) and then not really care if I hit a bad shot (double bad).

Note: This thread is 3736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!