IGNORED

Question on Key #4

Note: This thread is 3753 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I have been reviewing all the Keys today (since I probably need help on ALL of them) and the one that I personally feel would make a big difference in my swing / consistency is Key #4...once again, not to say I don't need to work on the other keys buy after watching the below video a few times, thinking about my own swing and watching some of my old swings on video - I realize that I almost always get in the "bad" position Erik demonstrates in the below. As is also noted in the video its "possible" to play from this position but you have to make a lot of compensations which I would think partly leads to my inconsistency.

It's funny because I always wondered when looking at my swing on video why I look so "crunched" together, I guess is the way to describe it..

Anyways I am going to work on this at the range this week but have a question. When working on swing mechanics I always try to break it down to one or two simple thoughts so I don't make  it more complicated than it already is.

Do you think focusing on keeping the elbows close together and putting pressure under armpit area (both armpits?) on back swing are ample swing thoughts when working on this? OR do I need to be thinking / worrying about more than just that? (once again I am talking only about when working on this specific key). THANKS!

Do you think focusing on keeping the elbows close together and putting pressure under armpit area (both armpits?) on back swing are ample swing thoughts when working on this?

Some may have that work as a feel others may feel more passive arms and the body doing the work.  Whatever the feel may be you need to find the one for you that gets the result.  Is this your priority at the moment?  Looking at some of your posts you are taking it all in and thinking about a lot of things.  What is your priority?  Don't worry about anything else until you have your priority piece resolved.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I struggle with this exact thing. For me I like to feel like my body turns with out my right arm breaking down. I know it will because the club goes up, but I don't want to feel it happen. This is a complete opposite feeling, so it is strange, but it works for me. Another sensation might be keeping the back of my right hand facing towards the proper swing path longer.

What I would do is, get a mirror or video camera and just work on developing your own feel. Once you get one, work on it slowly and methodically till it becomes habit.

As for practice, I will take an long sleeve shirt and wrap it around my back, putting the sleeves under my arms and make swings that way. This is more of helping me get my rotation better because I really focus on not dragging my hands back and in to create artificial depth. What might help is, keep that V formed with your arms and hands, and just rotate your body, just to get the feel of not getting your hands stuck behind you to fast.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

You don't seem to have a My Swing thread, so all I can say is this…

It's unlikely that Key #4 is your priority Key given your handicap. The reason for working on Keys #1, #2, and #3 first is that changes to those can affect Keys #4 and #5 so if you get Key #4 down and then have to work on #1-3 you'll often have to re-do #4 again.

Record your swing and start a My Swing thread. Best advice I can give you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You don't seem to have a My Swing thread, so all I can say is this…

It's unlikely that Key #4 is your priority Key given your handicap. The reason for working on Keys #1, #2, and #3 first is that changes to those can affect Keys #4 and #5 so if you get Key #4 down and then have to work on #1-3 you'll often have to re-do #4 again.

Record your swing and start a My Swing thread. Best advice I can give you.

I am just waiting for my iphone case to come in the mail (the one that attaches to alignment rod). As soon as I have that, I will be recording and posting my swing ASAP. I meant to order it last week but got sidetracked.

Gotcha, understood about the Keys. When I post my swing hopefully you can give some input. I will probably use the same recorded swings to join Evolvr and see where that takes me. I am at the point where I have spent so much money on lessons that another $50-$150 wont kill me. Just tired of spending $ and not seeing results when I am confident im capable of at least playing "respectable" golf.

I struggle with this exact thing. For me I like to feel like my body turns with out my right arm breaking down. I know it will because the club goes up, but I don't want to feel it happen. This is a complete opposite feeling, so it is strange, but it works for me. Another sensation might be keeping the back of my right hand facing towards the proper swing path longer.

What I would do is, get a mirror or video camera and just work on developing your own feel. Once you get one, work on it slowly and methodically till it becomes habit.

As for practice, I will take an long sleeve shirt and wrap it around my back, putting the sleeves under my arms and make swings that way. This is more of helping me get my rotation better because I really focus on not dragging my hands back and in to create artificial depth. What might help is, keep that V formed with your arms and hands, and just rotate your body, just to get the feel of not getting your hands stuck behind you to fast.

Appreciate the input. I like the sound of that long sleeve shirt drill!

Some may have that work as a feel others may feel more passive arms and the body doing the work.  Whatever the feel may be you need to find the one for you that gets the result.  Is this your priority at the moment?  Looking at some of your posts you are taking it all in and thinking about a lot of things.  What is your priority?  Don't worry about anything else until you have your priority piece resolved.

Lol great point. I swear I am not as nutty as I might seem given the variation in my posts lol!...It's just im just stuck in a frustrating place and seeking help from anyone who is willing to help ;)  Regardless, I really think my #1 priority needs to first be developing more consistency with my irons (all irons), then curing the driver / wood slice, then pitching and chipping, then putting. I really think I would gain a lot of confidence in my game if I cut down the amount of total mishits with an iron in my hand, per round. Thanks for writing.

Lol great point. I swear I am not as nutty as I might seem given the variation in my posts lol!...It's just im just stuck in a frustrating place and seeking help from anyone who is willing to help ;)  Regardless, I really think my #1 priority needs to first be developing more consistency with my irons (all irons), then curing the driver / wood slice, then pitching and chipping, then putting. I really think I would gain a lot of confidence in my game if I cut down the amount of total mishits with an iron in my hand, per round. Thanks for writing.

Sounds great.  I am just trying to help you not have too many thoughts going on.  We all do it.  Evolvr is great BTW.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Note: This thread is 3753 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!