IGNORED

My Swing (Mackingchicken)

mackingchicken
Note: This thread is 3664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The weight should be in left heel? In the vids http://purestrike5sk.com/videos.php#video_playback looking at the examination of pressure there weight finishes on the left heel and along the outside of the left foot?

It may finish there but the left foot should be planted on the downswing.  Notice how the foot isn't rolling forward.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So is it more of an ankle roll then the foot moving around?

No moving the footsey's..again watch video's of the pro's, and try to copy them.

Depends on the golfer. Most have their ankle slightly rolled. Some stand straight up and down. Some like Bubba will twist his whole leg to the left so he doesn't hurt his knee from the torque he puts on it from his swing. Even Tiger started to twist his foot a bit last year to help his knee. This was a post impact move. As long as you get 90%+ of your weight forward at impact, you are fine. Most of the time the feeling will be maintaining flex in the front leg long. If you have the proper hip turn, just holding that flex will allow the hips to slide laterally, and your weight will get forward. If not then it might be something you really need to work on.

No moving the footsey's..again watch video's of the pro's, and try to copy them.

Trying to copy someone Blindly is not a smart thing to do. Would you copy Furyk?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Depends on the golfer. Most have their ankle slightly rolled. Some stand straight up and down. Some like Bubba will twist his whole leg to the left so he doesn't hurt his knee from the torque he puts on it from his swing. Even Tiger started to twist his foot a bit last year to help his knee. This was a post impact move. As long as you get 90%+ of your weight forward at impact, you are fine. Most of the time the feeling will be maintaining flex in the front leg long. If you have the proper hip turn, just holding that flex will allow the hips to slide laterally, and your weight will get forward. If not then it might be something you really need to work on.

Trying to copy someone Blindly is not a smart thing to do. Would you copy Furyk?

I wouldn't copy his swing, but I might copy his "foot work".

No, why are you so focused on rolling?  I said in my last post, " Notice how the foot isn't rolling forward."  If you were to squish a bug under your left foot, would your foot or ankle roll forward?

I'll post this again, check out how the left knee gets past the left ankle, left foot is planted.

will slowing down my backswing help? Not only to trasnfer weight but to also get on plane?

Probably not, sounds like a quick tip you might read in a golf magazine.  It would be better to build an efficient motion.  Focus on Keys #1 and #2, from what I can tell in the video Key#2 is the priority.  I would also recommend posting a better video in terms of camera angle and including a face on view.

Mike McLoughlin

Probably not, sounds like a quick tip you might read in a golf magazine.  It would be better to build an efficient motion.  Focus on Keys #1 and #2, from what I can tell in the video Key#2 is the priority.  I would also recommend posting a better video in terms of camera angle and including a face on view.

Nah didnt read it anywhere, just slowed it down during some practice swings and felt in more control (knew where the club face was, felt like I could control swing path a bit more). I watch some pro's and some good golfers at the range and a lot of them seem to have a considerably slower backswing then power it through on the downswing. Look's more controlled to me?

Just wondering if its me imagining things or is it a possible good idea?

Nah didnt read it anywhere, just slowed it down during some practice swings and felt in more control (knew where the club face was, felt like I could control swing path a bit more). I watch some pro's and some good golfers at the range and a lot of them seem to have a considerably slower backswing then power it through on the downswing. Look's more controlled to me?

Just wondering if its me imagining things or is it a possible good idea?

Yeah not saying you did read it just saying you might be looking for an answer without correctly assessing the problem.   It may look slower to you because the body and arms are sequenced properly, so then it's not about "swinging slower" but figuring out what you need to do to improve your sequencing.  Probably fall under Key #1.

Mike McLoughlin

Had my first lesson today! was the hitting the ball really well before it (straight and far) with a slow takeaway and really feeling like i was squishing my left foot. Had the lesson and we worked on my takeaway and stance, he got me in the reverse K and worked on just naturally lifting the club without so much wrist hinge, I was hitting everything pretty straight even though it wasnt a full winded swing, just trying to do what he told me.

Felt super weird in new set up and my whole swing feels a bit weird now..

Next time I go to the range am I expecting to feel weird and unnatural?

Next time I go to the range am I expecting to feel weird and unnatural?

If you want to keep making it change yes, you should welcome it.  Feeling "normal" just means you're doing the same stuff.

Mike McLoughlin

What are people's thoughts on the reverse K set up, he more mentioned as setting up like its an impact position. So right shoulder down and arms a little bit tilted towards target.

He also wanted me to get rid of my takeaway wrist hinge? Does this all seem correct?

What are people's thoughts on the reverse K set up, he more mentioned as setting up like its an impact position. So right shoulder down and arms a little bit tilted towards target. He also wanted me to get rid of my takeaway wrist hinge? Does this all seem correct?

I don't know how good your instructor is, but if he's trying to get you to work on something and you're improving, shouldn't you just stick with his program? There's a chance you might be undermining his work if you're doing something else independently, which can hinder his ability to help you, and ultimately your ability to improve.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I don't know how good your instructor is, but if he's trying to get you to work on something and you're improving, shouldn't you just stick with his program? There's a chance you might be undermining his work if you're doing something else independently, which can hinder his ability to help you, and ultimately your ability to improve.

Great advice, Bill. OP will only confuse himself further by constantly seeking more advice when what he is being taught seems to be working.

As for the K position. I feel it is more beneficial for the driver set up. Get the weight forward, but keep the head back more, and push the hands a bit more forward. It helps promote an upward attack angle, and slightly more outward swing path. I wouldn't do it for the irons. Though majority of professional golfers do have some tilt in their spine, and shoulders away from the target for the irons. It is due to the fact that the right hand is lower on the club.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Just a few things he said seems to go against alot of advice, so the internet is hindering his ability to teach haha. Its hard for someone who doesnt know to pick the right from the wrong.

So I guess the best alternative would be to constantly question what your pro says, even if you are paying him money and you are getting better. Read all the magazines, check out all the internet blogs, ask all your friends and relations for tips (regardless how good a golfer they may be).

Sounds like a sure way to slow down your improvement.

• Upvote 1

Just a few things he said seems to go against alot of advice, so the internet is hindering his ability to teach haha. Its hard for someone who doesnt know to pick the right from the wrong.

The internet (and golf magazines, TV, etc.) is full of information. Some of it is right, a lot of it is wrong, and one expert's advice contradicts another's. By your own admission, you don't know how to filter that information, which is expected as you're new to the game, but you're going to fill your head with all sorts of stuff that's going to get in the way of your improvement.

If you're paying someone to teach you, and his methods work, please do yourself (and him) a favor and just work with it. Empty your cup.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!