IGNORED

Golf pro fitting or golf simulator

Jason Gourley
Note: This thread is 3748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum so I apologise in advance if I have asked this in the wrong section. I have never ever been fitted for a driver. It's the only club I struggle with all the time. I have no confidence in hitting my driver. I use a r11s with a project X 6.0 shaft. I've screwed the driver to every known loft and angle but I still can't hit it. My question is this....... Should I go get fitted for a driver by a pro or should I buy the optishot golf sim and use that to view club face angle at impact and try and fix my driving that way? Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated :-D Thanks guys, Jason

When you say that you can't hit the driver, what do you mean? Mishits, or solid shots that you can't control? It could be that the driver doesn't fit you, or that you have an issue in your swing that you need to get ironed out.

P.S. Welcome to TST!

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks! When I hit my driver it usually will block out to the right and that's a good shot lol other times I will pull hook it. My irons are fine. They are 1 degree up and my 3 wood is also very good. It just seems to be my driver. I did have a taylormade burner 10.5 degree with a standard stiff shaft and I could hit that really well. Reason I changed that driver was because it went way too high. Hitting into the wind it was like hitting a pitching wedge lol

When you say that you can't hit the driver, what do you mean? Mishits, or solid shots that you can't control? It could be that the driver doesn't fit you, or that you have an issue in your swing that you need to get ironed out.

P.S. Welcome to TST!

Also, when you say your hcp index is 0-9, what does that mean.  There's a world of difference between a scratch golfer and a 9 hcp.

Again, that will give some insight as to what "can't hit it" really means.....

And yeah, welcome!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Thanks!

When I hit my driver it usually will block out to the right and that's a good shot lol other times I will pull hook it. My irons are fine. They are 1 degree up and my 3 wood is also very good. It just seems to be my driver. I did have a taylormade burner 10.5 degree with a standard stiff shaft and I could hit that really well. Reason I changed that driver was because it went way too high. Hitting into the wind it was like hitting a pitching wedge lol

Without seeing your swing, it sounds like it may be a shaft issue. If you were hitting the stiff shaft well, the Project X 6.0 might be a bit stiff, especially in the tip, and it's tough to square the face up. To compensate, you may really try to shut the face down, causing the pull hook. I would suggest you start a "Member Swing" thread . Just make sure you read the rules about swing threads to make sure you get the most out of it. There are some really good teachers here that may be able to tell you if you have an obvious swing flaw that's preventing you from hitting the driver well. If I were you, I would do that and get fitted for a shaft.

Tyler Martin

[QUOTE]Without seeing your swing, it sounds like it may be a shaft issue. If you were hitting the stiff shaft well, the Project X 6.0 might be a bit stiff, especially in the tip, and it's tough to square the face up. To compensate, you may really try to shut the face down, causing the pull hook. I would suggest you start a "Member Swing" thread. Just make sure you read the rules about swing threads to make sure you get the most out of it. There are some really good teachers here that may be able to tell you if you have an obvious swing flaw that's preventing you from hitting the driver well. If I were you, I would do that and get fitted for a shaft. [/QUOTE] Thank you very much, that sounds like great advise! You are right I do try and shut the face down to stop the push. I'll have a read over the rules about the swing thread and see how I get on. Thanks again for the help!

Just wanted to give you all an update, I went to my local golf pro and he put me on track man. It turns out that my spin rate and launch angle was really bad and he told me that I needed a new shaft. He fitted me for a number of shafts and club heads and he got my spin rate down to around 2500 - 3100 rpm and my launch angle to around 12 degrees! I have never in my life hit a driver as well consistently! He has to order in the shaft and the driver head is the titleist 913 d2 or d3 I can't remember. The shaft I can't remember the name but it's stiff flex and 72 grams :-) Thank you geauxforbroke for the advice really appreciate it.

Just wanted to give you all an update,

I went to my local golf pro and he put me on track man. It turns out that my spin rate and launch angle was really bad and he told me that I needed a new shaft. He fitted me for a number of shafts and club heads and he got my spin rate down to around 2500 - 3100 rpm and my launch angle to around 12 degrees! I have never in my life hit a driver as well consistently! He has to order in the shaft and the driver head is the titleist 913 d2 or d3 I can't remember. The shaft I can't remember the name but it's stiff flex and 72 grams

Thank you geauxforbroke for the advice really appreciate it.

Good to hear you had a positive experience.

Tyler Martin

Note: This thread is 3748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!