IGNORED

LPGA fan thread

Web Junky
Note: This thread is 3145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Was anyone really shocked with the Creamer pick ? I agree she makes the LPGA more watchable. Wish she was playing better

No not at all. They also mentioned she had the best record in the Solheim Cup which doesn't surprise me. I would have voted for Creamer, Gulbis, or Korda from a watchable standpoint.

• 3 weeks later...

In Bee Park is going for the true (for some) career grand slam this week.   She has won 4 of the 5 major tourneys and her winning this week will end any controversy regarding her winning career grand slam or not.    Something to watch for this week.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't consider Evian a true major.

I don't care what label they put on it.  It does not have the tradition and the pedigree of other majors.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I don't consider Evian a true major. I don't care what label they put on it.  It does not have the tradition and the pedigree of other majors.

I guess that means you wouldn't acknowledge the John Deer PGA tournament if it was declared a major by the PGA tour? :) ...I agree it does seem silly to just suddenly declare a tournament a major just because one sponsor threw money at the LPGA tour. Adding a "5th major" diminishes the significance of winning a major for their tour.

Inbee's results this year (2015 calendar):

13, 5, 7, 1, 5, 11, 2, 18, 1, 16, 5, 11, 1, MC, 3, 8, 44, 1, 9 (http://www.lpga.com/players/inbee-park/82866/results)

First 13 events in top 20. Then 4/6.

17 of 19 tournaments in the Top 20.  Pretty insane really.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Pretty fun event this week. Beautiful scenery, great leader board, and Michelle Wie playing well again. I will be tuned in for the final round tomorrow, hope Lexi can bring it home.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I am torn as I do not consider Evian a major yet would love to see Lydia be the youngest major winner.

Don

It may not have the "tradition" but it is the highest paying tournament on the LPGA tour. That has to make it a major.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

It may not have the "tradition" but it is the highest paying tournament on the LPGA tour. That has to make it a major.

That logic makes no sense. Basically you are advocating you can buy a"major" status.

Don

That logic makes no sense. Basically you are advocating you can buy a"major" status.

From what I understand is that's exactly what happened. Evian was willing to up their sponsorship fee and sign a long term contract in exchange for "major championship status"

Pretty fun event this week. Beautiful scenery, great leader board, and Michelle Wie playing well again. I will be tuned in for the final round tomorrow, hope Lexi can bring it home.

I watched more of the event last year than this year, but I think the Evian has potential to be something compelling in ladies golf. The landscape really is gorgeous. Having it held on continental Europe is unique, and gives it a different feel.

I don't know why, but on TV, the Evian tournament already feels more important than what used to be the Nabisco (and Dinah Shore's name on it), but now is the ANA tournament (I think). Just my simple gut take on it after just a few hours of viewing over the last few years as they broadcast the ladies majors, and there's no basis in that other than my emotional response to the telecasts- not necessarily a well-formed opinion from a student of LPGA history/tradition (which I am not!).

Congrats to Lydia who stepped on the gas pedal, yet made it look easy. Reports of her demise were premature.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

From what I understand is that's exactly what happened. Evian was willing to up their sponsorship fee and sign a long term contract in exchange for "major championship status"

And considering the purses in the LPGA tournaments compared to the PGA tournaments, money talks.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Congrats to Lydia Ko to become the youngest winner of a LPGA major.

That was a pretty effortless and relaxed looking final round (63).

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 3145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!