IGNORED

Will A 64* wedge fit in my set okay

Note: This thread is 3747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a 54 and 58 wedge in my set currently and want a higher lofted wedge for flop shots i just don't know if the distances will fit. What are you preferences?

Bag::ogio: Chamber cart bag

Driver: :tmade: TaylorMade Burner 

3 Wood::adams: Adams Speedline Super S

Hybrid::adams: Adams Idea a3OS Boxer 

Irons: :tmade: TaylorMade Burner Plus 

Wedges::callaway: Forged wedges

Putter::ping: Scottsdale

Learn how to hit them with the 58, that is all you need.
  • Upvote 1

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You should be able to hit flops with a 58*, Hell if  I can do it I think anyone should.

• Upvote 1

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

what do you mean if you can aha your an 5.4 handicap if what you said is true.

Bag::ogio: Chamber cart bag

Driver: :tmade: TaylorMade Burner 

3 Wood::adams: Adams Speedline Super S

Hybrid::adams: Adams Idea a3OS Boxer 

Irons: :tmade: TaylorMade Burner Plus 

Wedges::callaway: Forged wedges

Putter::ping: Scottsdale

what do you mean if you can aha your an 5.4 handicap if what you said is true.

If you learn the proper technique hdcp has nothing to do with it. Sure I score lower but it doesn't mean someone with a higher index can't learn a flop shot.

• Upvote 1

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

• Administrator

I can hit flop shots with an 8-iron. I second what was said about learning the technique. It's going to matter more than buying a club that should see pretty limited use.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Flop shots are mostly a product of the lie, it's very hard to hit one unless you have a ball sitting up or an uphill or above your feet lie, or a bit of both. Using a 64 isn't necessary either way, in fact I've hit good ones with as much as a PW in some cases. Learn the technique and you'll start hitting them all the time, then when you finally wise up and hardly ever use them your handicap will drop 5 strokes.

It wouldn't be productive for me to use one, I get more use from longer clubs and I don't believe I'd ever get a good chance to hit it over a 60˚. Use one if you want but it wouldn't be a very versatile club and I'd imagine you might miss what you're kicking out. If you play a lot of courses where it'd be useful I could see it being worth learning but for me it's not a club I'd consider.

For me, a 64 wedge is a club I have to buy, then practice with a lot and get really good with before my game improves at all from having it. I find it to be more pragmatic to use the money to buy balls and spend the time and effort learning to hit one or all of the clubs I already have. Especially since, you know, I still have a handicap. No need to go seek out an obstacle for me to hurdle when there are so many lined up already.

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

I'm with these guys, here. The 58 is all you'd need. I use my 56 for my go-to wedge and I hit it various trajectories.
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

64 degree are a very risky club, I toyed with a ram Tom Watson one and honestly it put my game backwards I've a 60 degree and u do notice the difference of the 2 degrees compared with a 58, the 64 was like hitting it with a knife very easy to thin and very easy to go straight under it

Rather than fill up the bag with a club that you might possibly use once every 5-10 rounds (an 18 worrying about hitting flop shots? really?) add another hybrid.  Chances are you have many more 200 yard approaches than flop shots during the course of a round.

To the op! What most people are saying is true, it's more about technique than the club! However, if, like me, you don't have the time, patience or facility to learn this technique properly and you just want a higher lofted club to get over green side bunkers and stick to the green, then yeah! Go get one! I did! my sw is 56, and i can open the face a bit, but I lose accuracy when I open the face, and I prefer to play than practice, (this is exactly why we are high cappers!) so I got a 62* and it does the job I bought it for, with some great results, especially today when I lobbed it over a large bunker onto an elavated green landing 8 inch from the hole!! They're great fun to use and nice to have if there's room in the bag! But I must say, 64* seems extreme, I'd say 62 is more than enough!

Gaz Lee

The other day I had some extra time on the range and I was the only person there. I was attempting to hit a flop shot with every club in my bag. The woods weren't hard because I cheated and used a tee. I was actually able to hit a pretty good flop shot with my 4 iron. It took me a while to get it but it is definitely doable. I have a 60* in my bag and honestly feel like that is more than enough loft to pull off any shot. I actually use my 56* around the green and rarely use the 60.

Sam Gray

Whats in my :ping: Ping Hoofer Carry Bag?
Driver: :ping: Ping G25 9.5*    Shaft: Graphite Design AD DI 7x
3 Wood: :callaway: Callaway X HOT Pro 3 Deep 14.5       Shaft: Diamana Blue Board 83x
Hybrid: :adams:
 Adams A12 prototype 20*  Shaft: Aldila Rip NV blue prototype 80x
3 iron--Pitching Wedge: :mizuno: MP-64 irons 1* flat      Shafts: KBS Tour Stiff 
Wedges: :cleveland: 588 Forged 54 degree 12 degree bounce and 61 degree 9 degrees bounce   
Putter: :ping: Ping Karsten 1959 Anser 2

I have no use for a 64. Sure, there may be 2 or 3 situations a year where it would be useful, but the rest of the time I would never use it. Very difficult club to control IMO. For those 2 or 3 situations, I can lay open another wedge and get the same result. Prior to last season the highest lofted wedge I had was a 52, but I could hit flop shots easily when necessary.

Note: This thread is 3747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!