IGNORED

What clubs to add to my bag?

jgk9426
Note: This thread is 3740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks for reading my thread, I've golfed off and on a few years now but really ramped it up last summer. I was using some really old sticks for awhile, so upgraded w a purchase of the adams tight lies set. I really like the feel of these irons, and I hit the driver pretty well. I usually shoot in the mid to high 90s, my goal by the end of the upcoming golf season is to break 90. My driver could use some work, but a good drive for me is probably around 215 yards. I feel like putting is one of my strong suits that I could really hang my hat on if I devoted some serious practice time. For some reason I feel like I have a pretty good feel for green speed and break, without taking 5 minutes before my putt lining it up. Here's a link to my current setup; http://www.adamsgolf.com/products/sets/tight_lies_2013.php# I have the basic tight lies set (the blue set, one hybrid, 6-sw). Was thinking of adding a wedge but most threads on the forum seem to go against this idea. A hybrid could be a good option, but also seriously considering upgrading my putter. I have a pga store closeby and was gonna go and try out different putters until one feels the best. Any thoughts are appreciated!

... I usually shoot in the mid to high 90s, my goal by the end of the upcoming golf season is to break 90.

My driver could use some work, but a good drive for me is probably around 215 yards. I feel like putting is one of my strong suits that I could really hang my hat on if I devoted some serious practice time. ...

I have the basic tight lies set (the blue set, one hybrid, 6-sw).

Was thinking of adding a wedge but most threads on the forum seem to go against this idea. ...

You give us bits and pieces about your game, but I have some questions.

1. How long have you been playing?
  2. Have you had any lessons, or are you self-taught? Lessons might help more than buying new clubs
  3. In warm weather, how often do you play? Do you practice very often? Do you want to increase how often you play?
  4. What do you want additional clubs to deliver for you? Your current 11-club Adams set seems to be a good mix for a beginner and occasional player.

Not sure which threads you read which discourage wedges...

As for adding clubs, a Gap Wedge might be useful.  Your current wedges:

• PW 45* 35.75" Uniflex shaft (between R and S)
  • SW 56* 35.25" Uniflex

• Consider an Adams Puglielli GW 52* w/ 35.5" DG Spinner shaft. This wedge has a head that looks a lot like the head of your current 56* SW. (You might bend it to 51* so it better splits the distance between your current PW and SW. You should test out the Puglielli to see how far it goes - in comparison to the other wedges - before you bend it.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think everyone can benefit from a gap wedge nowadays to fill the spot between pw & sw!! You say you have a 6 to sw setup and 1 hybrid? You might also find you need a long club, 4 or 5 wood maybe or even a long hybrid, you would need to figure your distances of the hybrid and 6 iron and then test some long clubs to cover distances beyond these?

Gaz Lee

Thank you both for the responses. And I may have phrased my wedge comment incorrectly...a lot of what I read basically said for a higher handicap player it might be more beneficial to add a hybrid opposed to a wedge that is a difficult club to hit, and not used as often. A putter is used every hole so finding the perfect fit for you could help your scores tremendously compared to an additional wedge. I've played off and on since I was probably 13. Hadn't played for probably 5 years until this past summer where I was really into it. I'm 25 btw. All summer I was hitting balls at the range or course after work atleast once a week, sometimes twice, and playing once on the weekends. So I would consider that a good amount. I plan on continuing that once the weather warms up. I've never received a lesson (well once when I was 14 lol). I know lessons would probably be the best idea. And the money for the club is funded from a Christmas gift card (thanks ma). Beginning of the summer I was hovering around 105 for 18 holes, and by seasons end I was shooting low mid 90s. So I've definitely seen improvement in my game. I mentioned before a clean drive would be about 220 or so. I guess a gap would exist between 5wood and 5hybrid. A longer hybrid could be a good choice. And again, also thinking of grabbing a new putter instead. Thanks guys

Thank you both for the responses. And I may have phrased my wedge comment incorrectly...a lot of what I read basically said for a higher handicap player it might be more beneficial to add a hybrid opposed to a wedge that is a difficult club to hit, and not used as often. ...

I see your point now. These thread remarks probably discouraged high HDCPers from getting a 60* LW, which is difficult for a lot of people to hit. (On the PGA Tour, a good number of players have 58* as their highest lofted wedge).

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!