IGNORED

Hello, my first post & I have golfers elbow !

yellowboy
Note: This thread is 3718 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi from PA. this is my first post.

I was on another golf forum, but it took weeks to get a response if you got one at all. It was a morgue compared to here.  I found this one Saturday and got more information on golfers elbow than I got from my doctors !

I heard of tennis/golf elbow before but never realized how painful it could be. Never is on someone else !

It started in August, I had to quit October 1. I have not played since then, was diagnosed in November, got a shot that only lasted 5 weeks but was not told to do any stretching or exercises.. I then went to an ortho MD, who gave me a brace and some exercises to do. I am doing them and some others I found on here.

I can't play here now in PA anyway, but was planning a trip to NC in early March and hoping I do not have to cancel.

Ray

I was on another golf forum, but it took weeks to get a response if you got one at all. It was a morgue compared to here.  I found this one Saturday and got more information on golfers elbow than I got from my doctors !

I heard of tennis/golf elbow before but never realized how painful it could be. Never is on someone else !

It started in August, I had to quit October 1. I have not played since then, was diagnosed in November, got a shot that only lasted 5 weeks but was not told to do any stretching or exercises.. I then went to an ortho MD, who gave me a brace and some exercises to do. I am doing them and some others I found on here.

I can't play here now in PA anyway, but was planning a trip to NC in early March and hoping I do not have to cancel.

Ray

My father had the same issue for several years, then it suddenly went away. I don't know if the tendons stretched, or if he made swing changes that helped. Hope you find something that works.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ray

Hey Ray - where in PA? My fam. is in Scranton.  I am actually in Raleigh NC myself...I never understood how guys like you can live in a place like Northeast PA and maintain a decent handicap! Maybe the layoff actually helps?? But, what the heck do you do during the winter!? I think I would go nuts if I could not play for a few months ;)

I had it about a year ago.  I was stupid and played through it with a ton of Aleve and ice.....I don't recommend that, but even so, I was good in about 8 weeks.  Rest, ice, and anti-inflammatories is generally all you'll need, and you should be getting plenty of rest up there right now!  Shots are hit and miss.

The stretching exercises will help along the way, and help prevent a recurrence.  I'm now a fanatic about stretching those tendons before a round.  No problems since.

I'm not a Dr and I don't play one on this forum, but I predict you'll be 100% before your trip.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.  Stick around! :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I've tried various methods -- rest, aleve, etc.

Actually, a gyro ball helped a bit last month when I experience golfer's elbow last month. I could feel the afflicted parts in the wrist, elbows and forearms. It seemed to have helped as I don't have the elbow pain any longer.

If it doesn't alleviate the pain at least it will exercise the wrist and forearms.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords;=gyroball

Your mileage may vary.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Ray you did not indicate if you were righty or lefty and which elbow is aggravated, which is what it is. Swinging too hard, too frequently and likely with your elbow slightly bent at impact** is the cause, the result is inflaming your elbow in the joint and possibly where the muscle is attached or both.

That said do you exercises religiously as prescribed, this sort of injury and inflammation will take some time, at some point you will be convinced that its gone- don't believe it for a second and continue with your exercises- assuming that its helping. It can come right back.

Good luck

** one cause of tennis elbow is also by a bent elbow at impact

I have had it before and it can be very painful. For future reference, if you feel it coming on next time stop golfing immediately and take a week or two off. I did this last year and allowed it to heal before it ever got bad. I was out about 10 days instead of several weeks. Probably could have played earlier than that but didn't want to risk aggravating it again.

I am a righty and it's my left elbow.

Strange, but when I saw the ortho MD he said I could do anything I wanted subject to my pain tolerance. I am not heeding his advice there. He also said he would give me a shot before I go down south in March if I wanted to play !

I am doing the stretches/strengthening.

I am not playing golf in PA, but with another 4-6 inches of snow due today I am not really giving it full rest !

I use to play a ton of tennis, and after a couple years my right elbow started hurting pretty bad. Went to the Doc and was told I had bone spurs. He said the only way to correct it was surgery, and a 6 week layup. I'm right handed and was a contractor/carpenter, so that was out of the question. When I retired, the pain went away and hasn't returned. Did you get X rays on the elbow..?

Just thought I'd throw this out there..

yes , got an X ray it shows "normal" which I am told means tendon issues that don't show on an x ray.

Is this site slow today, or maybe the inet in general or my computer ?

yes , got an X ray it shows "normal" which I am told means tendon issues that don't show on an x ray.

Is this site slow today, or maybe the inet in general or my computer ?

o.k., well good luck with your elbow.

Not slow for me at all..Might try clearing your cookies on the PC.

I'm not sure why, but I've never heard of anyone getting golf elbow in the opposite hand. Every case I've ever seen or heard of has been on the dominate side, ie, right arm elbow for right handed players.

In my case, funny thing, it doesn't bother me one bit while I'm playing. No pain or discomfort at all, but, the next day I can certainly feel it. I play through it and never had any problems. Now I have a buddy who is about the same but weird, he gets a not on the side of his elbow, about the size of a golf ball (no exaggeration) and doesn't feel a thing. Ugly as all get out, but no pain.

The symptoms can be managed with advil and ice, the cure is abstinence. You have to rest it.

Not much more you can do.

I have found that I avoid or minimize the problem by staying away from the range. I can pretty much say that those times that I've had the problem I had recently been spending a lot of time at the range hitting balls off mats.

@yellowboy ,

Head the advice of the posters above, rest, ice, stretching, strengthening, compression wraps, etc. But most of all, be patient.  It can take a while.  I had a bit of it last year.  I wore a compression wrap whenever I was at the range. I did not use one during a round, but kept it in my bag in case.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3718 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!