• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wingback

dynamic transition

11 posts in this topic

hi all, great tip that's working a treat for me at the moment, ensure the takeaway is wide and slow, now the key move, just before the completion of the backswing nudge the legs forward, this does a few positive things for the swing, it prevents the dreaded over the top move, it transfers the weight and it creates great lag, timing the move will take a bit of work, it has to be done rhythmically.The best way to mentally visualise the whole swing thought is either the cracking of a whip or the casting of a fishing line.Hope this helps at least somebody.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

1) Wide takeaway is a feel, and may or may not happen. Too wide can cause too much lateral movement, which is not a good thing.

2) Do you know you are nudging the leg forward, or is it just a feel? Cause if it is just a feel, it could be just a sequencing feel, and not really happening. Might want to take a look on camera on that. Maybe a video of the golf swing with a nudge and one with out. See if there is actually a difference in the golf swing motion.

3) Lag isn't really that big of a deal. If you have a good swing lag happens pretty much automatically.

4) cracking of a whip is a feel action, not actually a reliable thing for people to just try.

Basically general visuals are "feels" that may or may not work for everyone. If it works for you that is fine. Everyone has to develop their own feels. The best way is using a mirror or video camera, knowing the range of positions the club needs to be in the golf swing and going form there.

Awards and Achievements

1) Wide takeaway is a feel, and may or may not happen. Too wide can cause too much lateral movement, which is not a good thing.

I have to second that from experience... I used to want to do the same thing and basically what ended up happening is at A3 I had an angle of like 140* instead of the 90* that you would usually see with tour pro's..

Because of this thought I just wasn't hinging my wrists fast enough, because the people giving you these tips make you think that it is a good thing to delay the hinge as long as possible so that you get more power.

What I ended up with was basically a slight lateral move, but even worst a huge over swing because of the extreme delay I had in the wrist hinge..

That's my experience with this tip anyway!  Maybe, I just took it to extreme when I tried to implement, but then again implementing tips like this with out supervision makes the results unpredictable at best!

Awards and Achievements

the width helps because if your narrow the club will cast from the top of the backswing, I think having a mental image of the swing ie cracking the whip is important, im sure it may help people understand how the swing should work, far too many golfers cast from the top robbing the motion of power and accuracy, picturing how the shaft should flex is also a great way of making people understand the downswing action.

the width helps because if your narrow the club will cast from the top of the backswing, I think having a mental image of the swing ie cracking the whip is important, im sure it may help people understand how the swing should work, far too many golfers cast from the top robbing the motion of power and accuracy, picturing how the shaft should flex is also a great way of making people understand the downswing action.

That isn't necessarily true. I would bet  most amateurs don't lack width. They lack proper depth with the hands. Meaning that their hands are not deep enough inside due to improper hip rotation. What you are describing can cause improper hip rotation, poor hand depth, can cause the club to get inside the hands, and cause later body movement away from the target.

The whole whip things isn't important because the swing doesn't work that way. The amount of lag is totally based on individual ability. Someone like Sadlowski from the long drive competition has absurd lag. Another example is Sergio. Yet you have other golfers who don't nearly have that amount of lag. So cracking a whip isn't applicable to everyone. Hence it is a feel move just for your own game, not a general tip that would work for everyone else. Given the swing does work from the ground up. Yet how a player gets that movement is all on how they individually feel the swing happen. Best way is through video, golf instruction or mirror work.

For example, I have to feel like my arms drop before my hips move. This is totally opposite of what you are describing. I know my arms don't actually do this, but this is what I need to do to get the club on a better downswing path, and sequence. My body clears way to fast for me. To obtain my hands in the proper position at impact they need to get there faster.

Once again, that is what works for you. It isn't what works for everyone. This doesn't mean its wrong, just mean it isn't a requirement for everyone. Everyone visualizes and feels the swing differently. You are describing feels, not actualities.

Awards and Achievements

yes totally agree just posted to give some golfers a tip that may work for them, thanks for your feed back anyway all your comments I take on board.

hi all, great tip that's working a treat for me at the moment, ensure the takeaway is wide and slow, now the key move, just before the completion of the backswing nudge the legs forward, this does a few positive things for the swing, it prevents the dreaded over the top move, it transfers the weight and it creates great lag, timing the move will take a bit of work, it has to be done rhythmically.The best way to mentally visualise the whole swing thought is either the cracking of a whip or the casting of a fishing line.Hope this helps at least somebody.

If this lower body move is what you are talking about I thought most people do it (or at least try).

yeah that's the one, im sure most people understand that the legs should start the downswing, I just thought that telling them to start the action a fraction before the the backswing completes will ensure that the swing remains fluid and prevent the hands and right shoulder snatching from the top.

yeah that's the one, im sure most people understand that the legs should start the downswing, I just thought that telling them to start the action a fraction before the the backswing completes will ensure that the swing remains fluid and prevent the hands and right shoulder snatching from the top.

I agree with you. :beer:

cheers ms256 for your feedback

hope that cold snaps not as bad this time for you americans

For example, I have to feel like my arms drop before my hips move. This is totally opposite of what you are describing. I know my arms don't actually do this, but this is what I need to do to get the club on a better downswing path, and sequence. My body clears way to fast for me. To obtain my hands in the proper position at impact they need to get there faster.

I have the same feeling as you.  From the top I need to move my right forearm and shoulder at the ball together with the hip slide.  From the video, I have no casting or losing the angle of the right wrist and the hip is moving forward.  This has bother me for somethime since all has claimed moving the hip is the first move, using the ground...  but I need to do both (arm and hip together) otherwise  sometimes my arm not move at fast to impact resulting open face to the right.  If you move the shoulder diagonally to the ball the hip has to move forward.  So, can both come down together as the first move?