IGNORED

John Daly...on the charge?

mailman
Note: This thread is 3734 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Seems long John Daly is doing well at the moment, shooting 5 under today in Qatar (and being competitive in Dubai last week). What a pity this guy isnt consistent eh. Oh what could have been? :) Regards Mailman

Mailman

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oh wow, didn't realize Qatar was starting today. Well done Daly. For anyone else that doesn't know...Qatar has a nice field including

Ernie Els, Henrik Stenson, Jason Dufner, Martin Kaymer, Miguel Jimenez, and Sergio Garcia...just to name a few.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Daly got off to a roaring start with three birdies and I think he only had one bogey all day long and on the 18th he chipped in to take him to 5 under. The thing is...I reckon he was his generations Duffner with his lack of reaction to the chip in :)

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

If Daly continues to royally eff up the weekend like he's been doing than I suggest he step back and take a look and try and figure out what's going on (he's probably already trying). I swear he's always contending going into the weekend and than he just falls of completely. Does he just end up getting exhausted?

Either way I'm still glad he's playing well and making cuts.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

As long as he keeps getting sponsors invites we will be seeing this guy playing golf for a few more years yet :) Lets hope he still has it within him to win! Regards Mailman

Mailman

Good luck to him, he's always been a somewhat mercurial but entertaining golfer to watch.

Hope he keeps it together over the next few years and ends up on the Champions' Tour a few years from now. Heck, they should just stick him in the Hall of Fame to make sure of it. After all, he has one more major than Couples and two more than Monty.

Doha update . The UN of flags at this tourney with fewer than 10 USA guys and Daly the best of them at -8, with leader at -13.  Uihlein at -5, Dufner -3.    Jimenez MC. Watching the TV on this and see many very large players, matching Daly in gut size. But the leader Cabrera-Bello has arms like Rambo and looks mighty fit.

He came in T77 in Hawaii. Last season he was recouping from shoulder surgery, so hopefully his mechanics are working well and he can just keep making cuts. I think that is the goal this season, make cuts and make progress. Daly is a bit of an enigma...success, talent, and squandered talent. Well, squandered in that he only has 5 career wins (two of them majors), 34 top 10's out of 495 tournament since 1987 ($10M in career earnings...yes, I have the PGA app on my phone).

Why do they call golf "golf"?  Because all the other four letter words were taken.

Poor John is dead.  Shot 77 the 3rd day.  His posted stats are hard to believe.  NO fairways hit in 3 rounds. NO GIR for 3 rounds.  47/54 scrambles.

Leader at minus 12, and Sergio at minus 9, so he is the most experienced player near the top.

Yeah, bit of a pity that...I was following him this morning and after 9 holes he was still even par. Must have had a horror back 9 eh? But are you sure those stats are right? Is it possible to get to 8 under (after 2 rounds) and have not hit and FIRs or GIRs? Regards Mailman

Mailman

Leader at minus 12, and Sergio at minus 9, so he is the most experienced player near the top.

Apart from the guy at -10 who has won 8 times on tour including a major and turned pro when Sergio was 6.

And would that be Carlsson, Coetzee, Lawrie, Ilonen, or Zanotti?  Are we looking at the same leaderboard?

And those stats for Daly are as  posted on the Eu PGA tour website.  I fully agree they seem incredible.

I think there is something seriously wrong with those stats as he had 6 birdies and a bogey in that first round. To have not hit any GIRs and be 5 under is impossible no? I only mention this because pretty much the only time you saw him on tv was when he did something awesome, like chipping in on the 18th to take him to five under??? Regards Mailman

Mailman

And the leaders are set to tee off shortly. (Sergio just teed off) I fancy Mikko Ilonen to finish strongly (pun intended, he's from Finland) :) My mate who only backs one golfer per tour per week has his money on Cabrera Bello this week... After having a 100/1 winner last week. I may be getting a tip from him next week if his form continues :) Anyway, it's Mikko for me, a good young European golfer and I wouldn't write him out of a Ryder Cup place.

Note: This thread is 3734 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!