IGNORED

Deloft wedge or not?

Note: This thread is 3710 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a set of Callaway c-grind wedges in 54*-15 and 58*-10. I picked them up used for a great price and that is why I have them. I have no idea what kind of wedges I should have. In the past I have used a PW and a 60*. Obviously I had a huge gap between them (about 50 yards). I got rid of the 60*.

I kind of want to bend my 54* to 52* to make my gap better between my PW and 58*. Is this a good or bad idea. Is my 54* designed for the sand, or will my 58* work for the sand? Would 13* of bounce be too much for hitting from fairly tight fairway lies, rendering my 54/52* wedge useless.

Would appreciate some advice.

I have a set of Callaway c-grind wedges in 54*-15 and 58*-10. I picked them up used for a great price and that is why I have them. I have no idea what kind of wedges I should have. In the past I have used a PW and a 60*. Obviously I had a huge gap between them (about 50 yards). I got rid of the 60*.

I kind of want to bend my 54* to 52* to make my gap better between my PW and 58*. Is this a good or bad idea. Is my 54* designed for the sand, or will my 58* work for the sand? Would 13* of bounce be too much for hitting from fairly tight fairway lies, rendering my 54/52* wedge useless.

Would appreciate some advice.

52*12* will be fine, I use a 56*14* from the fairway all the time. 58* will work in the sand, lot's of people use a 58* or even a 60* for bunkers. The question is whether or not these configurations will work for YOU. Lots of variables in wedge play so a little experimentation is good.

Don't fear bounce, bounce is good for you.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Now I'm not saying ernest above is wrong, but I'm the opposite, I don't like bounce, or not a lot of it, my old sw had huge bounce and was useless to me of a fairway/tight lie, so when I wedged up this year I got mid bounce, 8* on the sw and 6* on my lw, this allows me to hit the ball cleanly on turf without worrying about blading the ball, and I can still use both in a bunker! Although rarely my lw, Many people like bounce, I'm not a fan, possibly because I never learned to use it properl, it depends on ya swing, only you can decide!

Gaz Lee

You've got a C grind which provides a lot of relief from bounce ... my guess is the 54 to 52 will work well. How is it working now from the fairway? If the 58-10 is already working for you from the sand, then you're okay. If you have qualms, practice w the 58-10 and see if it will do what you want, before you start bending.

What a traditional club maker will tell you is that all of that grinding of heel, toe, and back of sole can make your club less stable .... so on full shots, too much grinding is not good. But heck, Roger Cleveland designed that 54, and he doesn't do anything radical ... and you're only going down 2 degrees - does it work now on full shots? If so, bend away.

You can bend it back.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Now I'm not saying ernest above is wrong, but I'm the opposite, I don't like bounce, or not a lot of it, my old sw had huge bounce and was useless to me of a fairway/tight lie, so when I wedged up this year I got mid bounce, 8* on the sw and 6* on my lw, this allows me to hit the ball cleanly on turf without worrying about blading the ball, and I can still use both in a bunker! Although rarely my lw,

Many people like bounce, I'm not a fan, possibly because I never learned to use it properl, it depends on ya swing, only you can decide!

I had a SW with a huge bounce like that. It was fine on what I would consider "normal" full shots because the bounce really didn't come into play on those shots. It was very limited for many types of flop shots off of thin lies so it wasn't the best club for me on the course I was playing at the time. With the club face opened very much at all the bounce kept the leading edge (which was very rounded) too high off of the ground.

I gave the club away but now I wish I had it back because the grass is much higher, and the ground much softer on the course I play now and that club would be better on that course. Especially in the winter.

Reminder - he is talking about a C Grind Wedge.

It's easy to bend it back... it's forged.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I don't have any bounce advice but unless I missed it I didn't see a mention of what the loft of his PW is. If it's old school 48-49* I wouldn't even bother decreasing the loft on the 54. If it's the modern 44-45* PW I'd forget about doing anything with the 54 and buy a 49-50 GW.

Dave :-)

Thanks for all the info guys. I was worried about the bounce because many courses I play on are pretty hard. But I went to the pga store today and ask them for some advice. They bent them from +1 upright to standard and said that the bounce was good for me since I didn't have trouble hitting off their mat and lie board which are some of the tightest lies i'll ever encounter.

By the way I don't know the loft of my PW but I would guess between 46-48 since it is a box set GI iron set from about 8-10 years ago. I have decided to leave the wedge at 54-15 and see how I play with it this coming season.

And I just have to tell you all cause I am so pumped...I picked up a mint odyssey white ice xg #1 putter for $15!

just to note, I carry Phil Rogers designed Cobra wedges, they're old but there is almost no bounce and the flange has been ground with many angle (find one on google image and you'll get a better idea). I got into these because of two problems...one, I simply don't want or need all of that bounce in my wedges and prefer the variety of shots you can pull off without all that stuff getting in the way. (Think Phil Mickelson, he has no bounce on his wedges, Feherty says you could shave with them). The other, I prefer a more balance club, wedges with extremely heavy heads are more difficult to control.

One is a 53 deg wedge that can be hit in many ways and for many shots...don't fear bending to get the loft you need. Though you have the C grind, others reading hear may not...flanges can be ground too to remove of modify the bounce.

just to note, I carry Phil Rogers designed Cobra wedges, they're old but there is almost no bounce and the flange has been ground with many angle (find one on google image and you'll get a better idea). I got into these because of two problems...one, I simply don't want or need all of that bounce in my wedges and prefer the variety of shots you can pull off without all that stuff getting in the way. (Think Phil Mickelson, he has no bounce on his wedges, Feherty says you could shave with them). The other, I prefer a more balance club, wedges with extremely heavy heads are more difficult to control. One is a 53 deg wedge that can be hit in many ways and for many shots...don't fear bending to get the loft you need. Though you have the C grind, others reading hear may not...flanges can be ground too to remove of modify the bounce.

Phil has plenty of bounce on his wedges. Look at the "Phil" grind on his 60 - it's wide with some indentation and I believe around 10 of measured bounce -- effective bounce is probably greater. I think the Phil Rodgers wedges were a triple bounce grind -- my guess is you have more bounce than you realize. A well designed wedge will allow you to pull off a greater variety of shots with lots of bounce and some relief, but with a leading edge that is still close to the ground

Note: This thread is 3710 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!