IGNORED

Best 3 woods?

Note: This thread is 3709 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was very pleased with how easy it was to get the ball air born with my Adams Tight Lies 16* fairway wood.  It is probably more of a 4 wood, but the extra degree of loft, slightly shorter shaft, and shallow face make it easy to use from the fairway and light rough.  And even though the head is a little small, it has a considerable amount of mass.  It's a good club.

Driver: Titleist TSR1 12*

3 Wood: Titleist TSR1 15* @ 16.5*

4, 5, 6 Hybrid: Titleist TSR1 20*, 23*, 26*

Irons: Titleist T350 5-W2 23*-53*

Putter: Titleist SC Super Select Newport 2

I use a Mizuno JPX 800 FW at the moment and it does exactly what I need it to; very easy to launch it off the deck. It's also a couple of years old now so it'll be cheaper than the latest and greatest.

The one I'm waiting on at the moment is the Mizuno EZ Fairway to see how that performs compared to the JPX 800.
  • Upvote 1

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

A 3 wood is only 15 degrees. I would check out an Adams hybrid that is 16 degrees. Hyrbids are much more versatile than a 3 wood, and much easier to hit off the ground. Just something to consider.

As for high launch, 3 woods from taylormade, callaway, cobra would be more a higher launch. Then you have to watch for the shaft. If it is too low you can get a lower kick point golf shaft to increase the dynamic loft.

This you wont find in a retail store, but I demo'd it once.

http://www.golfshopcentral.com/p-330-kickx-blast-driveway.aspx

Its a combo of a driver + 3 wood. The thing is just crazy.  Very loud on a strike, but you can hit that thing out of anything. I literally stepped on my ball, got it like 1/4th into the ground and still got it out. Just crazy stupid.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The 2012 (pre-Covert) Nike Vr-S 3 wood got stellar reviews & most I read indicated it edged out the big name competition .... they're super cheap now & I have no trouble getting mine up in the air off the deck with a controlled swing.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

A couple of things to consider on clubs:

• A shaft with a high launch (low kickpoint); make sure the shaft weight is not too heavy (slows down swing) or too light (control problems).
  • A head with a low center of gravity. Consider an SGI fairway wood model (they're out there) such as the Tour Edge Exotics XRail or the Cobra Baffler T-Rail .

Also, try out some 4Ws. Research reported in Golf Digest suggests the average golfer can hit the 4W better than the 3W.

And, get a swing check. Make sure you're not riding the left arm too long, which prevents a natural upward release. Such action can create partial pulls with longer clubs. Your "5 iron" cutoff hints this may be a problem. (I know, I'm a recovering long rider .)

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

A couple of things to consider on clubs: [LIST] [*] A shaft with a high launch (low kickpoint); make sure the shaft weight is not too heavy (slows down swing) or too light (control problems). [*] A head with a low center of gravity. Consider an SGI fairway wood model (they're out there) such as the Tour Edge Exotics XRail or the Cobra Baffler T-Rail . [/LIST] Also, try out some 4Ws. Research reported in Golf Digest suggests the average golfer can hit the 4W better than the 3W. And, get a swing check. Make sure you're not riding the left arm too long, which prevents a natural upward release. Such action can create partial pulls with longer clubs. Your "5 iron" cutoff hints this may be a problem. (I know, I'm a recovering long rider .)

What do you mean by riding the left arm?

Best 3 wood? the TM RBZ 3 wood was one of the best sellers for 2 years running and everyone one I know who has one, raves of the distance and flight they control they have, often the comment is "its like cheating!"

some of mentioned hybrids to use instead of a 3 wood, that's fine, but the hybrid shaft is 2 inches shorter and the distance will not be the same. In my opinion a 2 or 3 hybrid would be better option from a 5 or 7 wood.

I personally do not use a 3 wood, with the newer hot 3woods I found it only went about 15-20 yards less than my driver. There is no manufacturing constraints on how the hot the face can be with a fairway wood- only on a driver.  Instead I go driver to a strong ( 17*) 5 wood.

Callaway X Hot. Really easy to get into the air and the off center hits are almost as good as the ones in the middle.

I think what he is insinuating is for a right handed player the left arm says straight ( after contact) rather than collapsing and hinging in the follow thru. The end result is a fade, block or at least the right side of the green/fairway.

Cleveland Launcher DST 3HL. The head is fairly large and it's 3w length, but 17*. Few years old, but if you can get your hands on one...

:nike:Covert Tour

:wilson_staff: Fybrid RS 15*

Irons??

:tmade: Tour Preffered 54* & 60* w/ ATV grind

:rife: Trinidad Tropical

Two of golf''s oldest laws of the universe are keep your left arm straight and keep your head down/still.

Golfers, however, can overdo both these laws. Ideally, a right-handed golfer keeps the left arm fairly straight until impact, at which time your left arm naturally releases and bends, and your right arm straightens as you turn through the ball.

If you artificially keep your arm straight through impact, you don't get a full release and you tend to pull the ball somewhat.

The recent golf catch phrase "swing for right field" is directed at people who have trouble with riding the left arm too long. (Many teaching pros detest the "right field" phrase, because it can be overdone too.).

Keep your head down/still applies through impact, at which your head should follow your shoulders up through release. If you artificially keep your head from releasing up, this is a companion error which can restrict your release and contribute to pulls.

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

@WUTiger -Please leave instruction stuff to instructors or good golfers.-Pulling from "not releasing" doesnt even make sense. Swing to right field is good for people who slice.-Annika and Duval didnt keep their heads down or still through impact.-The pulls cant happen because of something you do after impact.[quote name="WUTiger" url="/t/72185/best-3-woods#post_943735"]If you artificially keep your arm straight through impact, you don't get a full release and you tend to pull the ball somewhat. The recent golf catch phrase "swing for right field" is directed at people who have trouble with riding the left arm too long. (Many teaching pros detest the "right field" phrase, because it can be overdone too.). Keep your head down/still applies through impact, at which your head should follow your shoulders up through release. If you artificially keep your head from releasing up, this is a companion error which can restrict your release and contribute to pulls. [/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

@WUTiger-Please leave instruction stuff to instructors or good golfers.-

ouch ... a little rough there Phil.    We all can't be + hcp's like you...

This is exactly why I sometimes question why we should list hcp's on this forum - opinions are obviously swayed by hcp listings of contributors, not merit of content (just a general statement, not intended to reflect any content of this thread).

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

@WUTiger-Please leave instruction stuff to instructors or good golfers.-Pulling from "not releasing" doesnt even make sense. Swing to right field is good for people who slice.-Annika and Duval didnt keep their heads down or still through impact.-The pulls cant happen because of something you do after impact.

The low release is an indicator - an artifact - of a swing motion which leads to pulls. My golf pro helped me work through this problem.

Also, someone asked me what riding the left arm was. I identified the problem in my swing, and my pro discussed with me.

Phil , FYI, I use the "right field" swing thought. Some pros don't like it without explaining it to a golfer, because some people end up taking their club back to the inside too quickly when they try for right field. This trades one problem for another.

Callaway X Hot. Really easy to get into the air and the off center hits are almost as good as the ones in the middle.

+1 for the xhot.  If you want a ton of distance than go with the 3deep.  Little bit harder to hit and definitely lower spinning though.

Tour edge exotics xcg5 15* 3 wood You couldn't get this club out of my bag with c4. It is two years old so you can get them cheap now. Easy to hit and long. Almost as long as my driver.

In my bag....

Bombtech Grenade driver. 10.5* Aldila DVS60 stiff, 45"

Ping i20 irons, ProjectX5.5. 5 thru PW.

Tour Edge 3 Hybrid, Adams A7 4Hybrid

Titelist SM4 52-8. 56-12

Cleveland RTX 60-12 wedge.

Tour Edge xcg5 15* 3 Wood

Cheap crappy Wilson putter that works as well as anything for me.

It's a work in progress, I've only been playing for going on two years or so.

Note: This thread is 3709 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!