IGNORED

2014 Dubai Desert Classic

joekelly
Note: This thread is 3706 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger gets US3Million in appearance fees. US2M is distributed among the other famous guys, like Ernie, Freddy, Rory.  Ballesteros, son of Seve, gets nothing as an amateur, but he is in the field. One day demo play, Tuesday, for the former winners with US300K on offer for champ. Total tourney prize money US2.5M.

Last year’s winner, Stephen Gallacher of Scotland, shot 22 under for the 4 days. Hole in one offer Saturday and Sunday only, on dog leg par 4, 325 yds, but no car. US2.5M for that shot.

Tourney winner gets US420K. Can easily understand why Tiger needs nice appearance fee, as winner’s prize might not even pay air fuel to Dubai for him.

Coverage starts tonight on the Golf Channel at 9:30 p.m. CT

132 players

85 European Tour winners with 401 European Tour victories between them

5 European Number Ones
Ernie Els
Robert Karlsson
Rory McIlroy
Colin Montgomerie
Henrik Stenson

9 Major Champions with 29 Major titles
Michael Campbell
Fred Couples
John Daly
Ernie Els
Paul Lawrie
Rory McIlroy
José Maria Olazábal
Mark O'Meara
Tiger Woods

4 World Number Ones
Fred Couples
Ernie Els
Rory McIlroy
Tiger Woods

11 in the Official World Golf Ranking top 50
Tiger Woods (1)
Henrik Stenson (3)
Rory McIlroy (6)
Thomas Bjorn (24)
Jamie Donaldson (25)
Ernie Els (28)
Miguel Angel Jimenez (38)
Joost Luiten (41)
Francesco Molinari (43)
Branden Grace (45)
Matteo Manassero (47)

21 Ryder Cup players

2 Ryder Cup Captains
Colin Montgomerie (2010)
José Maria Olazábal (2012)

4 World Golf Champions
Ernie Els
Francesco Molinari
Henrik Stenson
Tiger Woods

5 of the winners on the 2014 Race to Dubai
Thomas Bjorn
Miguel Angel Jiménez
Pablo Larrazábal
Morten Orum Madsen
Dawie Van der Walt

18 former winners of the Omega Dubai Desert Classic
Wayne Westner (1993)
Ernie Els (1994, 2002, 2005)
Fred Couples (1995)
Colin Montgomerie (1996)
Richard Green (1997)
José Maria Olazábal (1998)
David Howell (1999)
José Coceres (2000)
Thomas Bjorn (2001)
Robert-Jan Derksen (2003)
Mark O'Meara (2004)
Tiger Woods (2006, 2008)
Henrik Stenson (2007)
Rory McIlroy (2009)
Miguel Angel Jiménez (2010)
Alvaro Quiros (2011)
Rafa Cabrera-Bello (2012)
Stephen Gallacher (2013)

14 Challenge Tour graduates

3 from the Qualifying School

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Well ain't this a pleasant surprise!!!  I am just aimlessly flipping through stations (not knowing about this tournament) and watching a few minutes of The Day After Tomorrow , then a couple of minutes of Mexico vs. Korea soccer (en Espanol) and then I see that golf is on.  And not only that, it's live .. and they're showing all 18 holes of Tiger and Rory!!!

Saaaaaweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well ain't this a pleasant surprise!!!  I am just aimlessly flipping through stations (not knowing about this tournament) and watching a few minutes of The Day After Tomorrow , then a couple of minutes of Mexico vs. Korea soccer (en Espanol) and then I see that golf is on.  And not only that, it's live .. and they're showing all 18 holes of Tiger and Rory!!! Saaaaaweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

Was going to watch an episode of The Walking Dead on demand with my wife after the Rangers game. Luckily she nodded off and went to bed. Golf time for me.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Whoops! I made a thread about this tourney and didn't realize you made one. My bad. I'm watching right now! Rory and Tiger teeing off!

Joel Holden

Certainly looks like Rory's remembered to pack his A-game in the suitcase today. What a performance!

Also like to say good luck to my golf coach and his two students for later today when they tee off. Gonna be hard to catch Rory if this form continues but I know they both thrive on challenges so let's bring it! :)

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

No problem admitting it, seeing the name Ballesteros on a leaderboard is bringing a tear to my eye!

He's +1 through 13.

Damien McGrane and McIlroy keeping Irish hopes alive with two great rounds

I had no idea his son played pro until they showed him out of nowhere! So awesome.

Speaking of +1, +1 to Irish hopes. What a round from Rory.

Joel Holden

I had no idea his son played pro until they showed him out of nowhere! So awesome.

Speaking of +1, +1 to Irish hopes. What a round from Rory.

Technically he doesn't play Pro ;-)

He is still an amateur and got invited to this... but he seems to be able to play a bit so fingers crossed we see him turn Pro.

Good day all around

Technically he doesn't play Pro

He is still an amateur and got invited to this... but he seems to be able to play a bit so fingers crossed we see him turn Pro.

Good day all around

Oh! I didn't realize how young he is! 23 years old. Wow, this kid has a bright future. He looked just like Seve on a few occasions. Fun to watch.

Joel Holden

Tiger ... saw his first 10 holes before nodding off... scrambled to get to 4 under early.

The driver isn't doing what he wants ... needs to review face and path (lol) ... the cut isn't cutting even though he didn't seem to be taking a huge cut at the ball.

Is Foley getting nervous while Chamblee licks his chops? Is redemption time near?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Tiger ... saw his first 10 holes before nodding off... scrambled to get to 4 under early.

The driver isn't doing what he wants ... needs to review face and path (lol) ... the cut isn't cutting even though he didn't seem to be taking a huge cut at the ball.

Is Foley getting nervous while Chamblee licks his chops? Is redemption time near?

LOL ... I got through 12 holes before I succumbed. :sleep: Speaking of Tiger ...

He appears to be trying to play a big Bubba slice these last two week and I don't understand why.  On several occasions yesterday (at least 3 off the top of my head, including his first hole) as well as at least once that I saw in the first round at Torrey, Tiger is aligning himself way, way left of the fairway.

One of the best "tips" I've ever received is one I first heard in Jack's Golf My Way book, and have since heard everywhere; the reason you want to play a curved shot instead of trying to play a straight shot is to eliminate one side of the course and maximize (basically double) your wiggle room.  If you play a cut, you aim down the left side of the fairway so if you don't cut it too much or at all, you're still in the fairway.  If you cut it the right amount, you're in the middle, and if you overcut it you are likely still in the fairway.

Tiger's misses yesterday were him lining up 20-30 yards left of the fairway and hitting it dead straight.  I don't get it.  Why is he doing this?  Why isn't he just aiming down the left side and trying to play a mild cut if that's what he really wants?

LOL ... I got through 12 holes before I succumbed.  Speaking of Tiger ...

He appears to be trying to play a big Bubba slice these last two week and I don't understand why.  On several occasions yesterday (at least 3 off the top of my head, including his first hole) as well as at least once that I saw in the first round at Torrey, Tiger is aligning himself way, way left of the fairway.

One of the best "tips" I've ever received is one I first heard in Jack's Golf My Way book, and have since heard everywhere; the reason you want to play a curved shot instead of trying to play a straight shot is to eliminate one side of the course and maximize (basically double) your wiggle room.  If you play a cut, you aim down the left side of the fairway so if you don't cut it too much or at all, you're still in the fairway.  If you cut it the right amount, you're in the middle, and if you overcut it you are likely still in the fairway.

Tiger's misses yesterday were him lining up 20-30 yards left of the fairway and hitting it dead straight.  I don't get it.  Why is he doing this?  Why isn't he just aiming down the left side and trying to play a mild cut if that's what he really wants?

Foley didn't read Jack's book.

(reminds me of Patton's line - Rommel, I read your d#mn book!)

Who knows what Foley is saying or what Tiger is doing on his own?

I heard the announcers discuss how he was lining up, it seems, all shots to the left. Doubt if that was true, but most pros want to eliminate the left side, not be in the left side.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Foley didn't read Jack's book.

(reminds me of Patton's line - Rommel, I read your d#mn book!)

Who knows what Foley is saying or what Tiger is doing on his own?

I heard the announcers discuss how he was lining up, it seems, all shots to the left. Doubt if that was true, but most pros want to eliminate the left side, not be in the left side.

I suppose that the camera angles could be off, and I could be wrong.  It certainly looked like he was aiming precisely where he was hitting it, but it's entirely possible that he was aiming down the left side and then hitting straight pulls.

I would also point out that his demeanor fascinated me.  He was hitting drives that ended up 30-40 left of the fairway beyond the rough, beyond the trees, and into the waste area, and he was reacting just like you do when you hit it good.  Reach down, pick up the tee, hand the driver to the caddie and start walking.  No grimaces, no gritted teeth, no vieled curses, just "ho-hum, as I expected."  Almost like he hit it where he intended, or he just wasn't at all surprised by the results.

LOL ... I got through 12 holes before I succumbed.  Speaking of Tiger ...

I didn't watch last night, and I usually don't spend any time guessing (or even second guessing) anybody's choice of shots. An exception to that was last week when he hit the ball in the water with a fairway wood to start his big collapse.

When I saw his alignment and realized what he was trying to do I sat up in my chair and said to my wife "What in the Hell is he doing that for?"

I've never seen anybody besides Bubba that hunts for any reason to work the ball more than I do...But at least I know that it's not very smart and I'm not very good. Good players normally have more sense.

I would also point out that his demeanor fascinated me.  He was hitting drives that ended up 30-40 left of the fairway beyond the rough, beyond the trees, and into the waste area, and he was reacting just like you do when you hit it good.  Reach down, pick up the tee, hand the driver to the caddie and start walking.  No grimaces, no gritted teeth, no vieled curses, just "ho-hum, as I expected."  Almost like he hit it where he intended, or he just wasn't at all surprised by the results.

$3 million appearance fee at a tournament that he probably doesn't care about all that much. I wish I had those problems.

Joel Holden

I didn't watch last night, and I usually don't spend any time guessing (or even second guessing) anybody's choice of shots. An exception to that was last week when he hit the ball in the water with a fairway wood to start his big collapse.

When I saw his alignment and realized what he was trying to do I sat up in my chair and said to my wife "What in the Hell is he doing that for?"

I've never seen anybody besides Bubba that hunts for any reason to work the ball more than I do...But at least I know that it's not very smart and I'm not very good. Good players normally have more sense.

What i've noticed, and maybe this is just me, but I stayed up and watched the first round of Dubai tourney last night and he appears never to be able to hit a draw.  The entire back 9 is set up for a draw, and he only hit fades.  On one particular hole, he was between 40-50 yards behind Rory, who both use the same driver, but Tiger hit a fade electing to go over trees where Rory following the course setup.  Is it just me, or has the draw been completely wiped away from his game altogether?  Very strange to watch from a player of his stature who's been playing all of his life.  You'd figure he'd able to pull out a draw on command should he choose to, but it now seems not to be the case.

Nike VR S Covert Tour Driver 2.0, 8.5* S
Nike VR S Covert Tour 3-Wood (15*) S
Nike VR Forged Split Cavity (2-5)

Nike VR Forged TW Blades (6-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM4 54* Wedge

Nike VR X3X Wedge 58*

Nike Method Core 1 Putter

Titleist ProV1

"Hakuna Matata - It means no worries..."

What i've noticed, and maybe this is just me, but I stayed up and watched the first round of Dubai tourney last night and he appears never to be able to hit a draw.

I don't like the wording of this.  I completely agree that all he seems to be attempting is cuts.  But that doesn't mean he's unable to hit a draw, it simply means he's CHOOSING to hit cuts.  Why?  I don't know.

We can't possibly know if he's able to hit a draw if he never attempts one.  He's a smart guy, so I assume he has his reasons.

Note: This thread is 3706 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!