IGNORED

The One Ball Condition

WhiteLightning
Note: This thread is 3710 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is the rule, like how does it work.. I heard that you need to start and end the round with the same ball meaning same logos color and type...

In my :cobra: Bio Bag ~Tyler Westra~
:cobra: Bio Cell Driver 10.5 Draw/Stiff
:cobra: S3 E9 face technology Irons 5-GW/Regular
:cobra: Amp Cell 3-4 Hybrid/Stiff
:mizuno: MP-T4 Wedges 55, 62
:scotty_cameron: Del Mar (With two 20g weights) Cut about 34 in. (SuperStroke Grip 5.0)
:bushnell: Tournament series Pro 1600 Rangefinder
Puma Shoes (Red&Black) (Red&White) (Size 11)

The "One Ball Rule" is a Condition of Competition. Most low level amateur events do not employ this condition.  Note that the brand and model must be the same.  Logos, color and markings may vary.

c. One Ball Condition: If it is desired to prohibit changing brands and models of golf balls during a stipulated round, the following condition is recommended:

“Limitation on Balls Used During Round: (Note to Rule 5-1) (i) “One Ball” Condition During a stipulated round, the balls a player plays must be of the same brand and model as detailed by a single entry on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls. Note: If a ball of a different brand and/or model is dropped or placed it may be lifted, without penalty, and the player must then proceed by dropping or placing a proper ball (Rule 20-6).

PENALTY FOR BREACH OF CONDITION:

Match play – At the conclusion of the hole at which the breach is discovered, the state of the match is adjusted by deducting one hole for each hole at which a breach occurred; maximum deduction per round – Two holes

Stroke play – Two strokes for each hole at which any breach occurred; maximum penalty per round – Four strokes (two strokes at each of the first two holes at which any breach occurred).

Bogey and Par competitions – See Note 1 to Rule 32-1a.

Stableford competitions – See Note 1 to Rule 32-1b .

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Same brand and model. For example, if you star with a Titleist Pro V1, all the balls you put in play must be Pro V1's. No NXT's or Pro V1x's. No Nikes, Callaways, etc. Unless you are playing in higer level tournaments, you would probably never have to worry about it.

Thanks that is what I thought about it... A rule that is not to worry so much about but also a very unknown one as well.

:scotty_cameron: Del Mar (With two 20g weights) Cut about 34 in. (SuperStroke Grip 5.0)

The "One Ball Rule" is a Condition of Competition. Most low level amateur events do not employ this condition.  Note that the brand and model must be the same.  Logos, color and markings may vary.

the same brand and model as detailed by a single entry on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls.

I think you will find that a different colour creates a new entry on the list.

eg

Altus Newing orange        3P-SC-2c    L-L--   420   JAPAN Bridgestone Sports Co. Ltd.
Altus Newing pink            3P-SC-2c    L-L--   420   JAPAN Bridgestone Sports Co. Ltd.

Mizuno with logo yellow    2P-SC-1c   L-M--   362 JAPAN Mizuno Corporation

<< S201 >>
Mizuno with logo orange   2P-SC-1c    L-M--   362 JAPAN Mizuno Corporation
<< S201 >>

And the one ball condition has, in my opinion, outlived its usefulness (if it ever had a purpose), and should never be used in any competition, let alone amateur competitions.

Yeah and not a very known rule, almost anyone I tell it to they don't know about it but no concern at the playing level of amateurs.

And the one ball condition has, in my opinion, outlived its usefulness (if it ever had a purpose), and should never be used in any competition, let alone amateur competitions.

I'm going to the Memphis PGA/USGA Workshop in February. If I find anyone who's on the Joint Rules Committee, I'll ask them where the Rule came from.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

Yeah and not a very known rule, almost anyone I tell it to they don't know about it but no concern at the playing level of amateurs.

Please be aware that IT IS NOT A RULE (sorry for the capitals, but I couldn't find any other way to empahsize). It is a permitted condition of competition that the Committee can choose to implement. If the Committtee does not implement it in the notice to competitors, it does not apply.

Please be aware that IT IS NOT A RULE (sorry for the capitals, but I couldn't find any other way to empahsize). It is a permitted condition of competition that the Committee can choose to implement. If the Committtee does not implement it in the notice to competitors, it does not apply.

Yeah

• Administrator

And I continue to disagree with you on that. :-) Why do you have to keep adding this to threads?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm going to the Memphis PGA/USGA Workshop in February. If I find anyone who's on the Joint Rules Committee, I'll ask them where the Rule came from.

Don't want to get into the middle of the debate on this, but I can remember Mike Davis from the USGA, in one of my workshops a few years ago, saying (and I'm paraphrasing  using my limited old man's memory) the USGA wasn't a big proponent of the one ball local rule anymore.  Had to do with how the balls were more similar now, and how a particular ball a player uses was fitted  to his equipment. Years ago it was different, with both Balata and two piece balls on the market. I thought he said they did not use it in their national championships, but I could be wrong on this.  I know we've talked about it in other threads.

I think most of the local PGA affiliates still use the one ball rule along with most, if not all the tours......so there still is a lot of support for this.

Personally, I can tell a difference in spin between balls, but for me the  difference would be most beneficial based on the greens, which shouldn't change that much between holes.  Plus I rarely hit the center of the club face anyway. :8)

Regards,

John

And I continue to disagree with you on that. :-)  Why do you have to keep adding this to threads?

For the same reason that you keep responding to it - my purpose is to make my point to as many readers as I can. :) And rest assured, it will continue at every opportunity that I see as appropriate. You're welcome to oppose at will.

I see the argument as long as the ball is USGA approved  it should not matter, but regardless each ball has individual characteristics and it would be like letting players carry more than 14 clubs,  clearly on the professional level these players will be able to take advantage of the different characteristics while amateurs not so much.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Truly a dead horse.  But i also continue to ask 'so what' if player wants to change conforming balls between holes?  All players are entitled to same advantage/disadvantage at their discretion.  Rather like my desire to carry  5 wedges and you 3...so what if total is 14 or fewer.

Truly a dead horse.  But i also continue to ask 'so what' if player wants to change conforming balls between holes?  All players are entitled to same advantage/disadvantage at their discretion.  Rather like my desire to carry  5 wedges and you 3...so what if total is 14 or fewer.

It only applies on the tee anyway. It's not like the player can use a dustabce ball off the tee, then change for the approach shot. Any possible advantge gained from changing balls would be minimal at best.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

It only aplies on the tee anyway. It's not like the player can use a dustabce ball off the tee, then change for the approach shot. Any possible advantge gained from changing balls would be minimal.

True story.....

One of the guys we play with is a little older, and a bit generous with the rules.  He's getting better, but we still have to keep an eye on him.  He'll roll it out of a divot, or move it out of a footprint in a bunker, that type of thing.  Doesn't even try to hide it, he just doesn't care......and truth be told, for him alone, neither do we.

We're on the green several weeks ago, and he marks his ball.  Then I see him dig into his pocket and pull out another ball.  I just knew the answer before I even asked the question, but I looked at him and said "John, what the heck are you gonna do with that ball?!"  He looked me in the eye and said, "This is my putting ball.".  I have NO idea where that came from, but we almost died laughing!   Now it's become a running joke, depending on his situation, now someone will ask him if he's using his bunker ball, or chipping ball, or long-iron ball, whichever.

I'm proud to say, he's no longer using a putting ball.....and while he's not 100%, he's been known to actually play the ball out of a divot lately.  He will still roll it out of a footprint in a bunker though.  Baby steps.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3710 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!