IGNORED

Tiger's Driving Distance

nickolasjt
Note: This thread is 3712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

yes he does lift, which I do not believe to be beneficial except for ego. ......

Being limber plays more of a role.

Lifting does not inhibit limberness.  Frankly, just the opposite.  Having a healthy amount of muscle mass encourages progress in stretching regimes.

You guys gotta realize - Body building does not equal lifting - and the (false and true) stereotypes associated with body building really shouldn't be applied to just being fit and strong and limber.

Tiger looks fit and healthy, he certainly doesn't look huge or overdeveloped in any way.  The recent trend for very athletic and fit pros is a fantastic gain for kids just starting in the activity.  Much better role models today than ever.

And stating that lifting is not beneficial except for ego.....I don't know where to begin other than to just find the 99 other threads on the topic....or reference the overwhelming number of top pros that have a regular fitness routine they practice.

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Bubba hits a cut/Fade almost every drive. last week i saw him hit one 344 on a fly. But he is a freak.

Driver: R11s - 3wood: RBZ - MIzuno 2 iron - rons: taylormade burner 2.0 4-pw - 63 degree: nike VR Forged - 52 Degree: nike VR Forged - 60 degree: callaway - Putter: odyssey white ice 2 ball I'm going to qualify for the U.S. Open and kick your boyfriend's ass. Whatever you think of me, you should know he hates old people, children, and dogs. Roy McAvoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehmwa View Post

Lifting does not inhibit limberness.  Frankly, just the opposite.  Having a healthy amount of muscle mass encourages progress in stretching regimes.

You guys gotta realize - Body building does not equal lifting - and the (false and true) stereotypes associated with body building really shouldn't be applied to just being fit and strong and limber.

Tiger looks fit and healthy, he certainly doesn't look huge or overdeveloped in any way.  The recent trend for very athletic and fit pros is a fantastic gain for kids just starting in the activity.  Much better role models today than ever.

And stating that lifting is not beneficial except for ego .....I don't know where to begin other than to just find the 99 other threads on the topic....or reference the overwhelming number of top pros that have a regular fitness routine they practice.

All you need to do is look at who made the comment, and that should be enough to just ignore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post

How many players have 8 wins in the last 2 years?

Don't forget to add one player of the year award in there. That should narrow the huge list.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

His driving is terrible.  He is shorter than he ever has been and more offline than he ever has been, obviously that isn't a very good combo.  Remember back in 2000 when he had all of that hip speed and rotation in his golf swing and he hit it far and straight?  Now he slides, slows his hips down and hits it short and crooked.  Nice job Tiger.  He has taken all of the athleticism out of his golf swing throughout his career and his ball striking has gotten worse and worse.  It's hard to watch.

Please remember this guy had to change from that swing because it tore his knee to shreds.........

University of Illinois - Springfield Golf Team

Titleist 913 w/ Tour AD DI-6

Titleist 906 3 Wood w/ Proforce V2

Bridgestone J36 Hybrid

Mizuno MP 64 - Project X 6.0

Titleist 50, 56 Spin Milled - Project X 6.0

Scotty Cameron Newport

Please remember this guy had to change from that swing because it tore his knee to shreds.........

^^^This. He simply had to make a change. Whether he made the right change or not is always debatable.

Amazing how changes are really smart when they work and really dumb when they don't. Too early to tell where this one falls but every time Tiger doesn't play well the naysayers already have "I told you so" typed and ready to hit submit.

How many players have 8 wins in the last 2 years?

How about their career on the PGA Tour?  For active players, I think it's around 14, excluding Tiger.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

The draw/fade versus distance misunderstanding is just because most amateurs naturally come OTT and have to learn to hold off their finish a bit to hit a pull-fade/slice.  That's going to give you less swing speed at impact.  If you know what you're doing you can hit a fade or draw equally far.  Of course, most of us don't have that kind of control, and I also can hit my most reliable draw farther than my most reliable cut/fade, but that's because of our lack of skill, not because of any rules or physics.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I've always felt that Tiger, with his swing speed, makes somewhat inefficient contact with the driver. He can create effortless power with irons, but with the driver I would think he should hit it farther... I know there are players with slower swing speeds hit it as far or farther than Tigs does.

Tiger was 28th in club head speed and 18th in carry distance using the PGA Tour's stats. That's pretty efficient

CHS 118

Ball: 175

Spin: 2500

LA: 11.2

Honestly not that bad. Pretty optimal. Though I do think he gets into trouble when he does a huge squat. I think he does way better when he stays more level and hits up on the ball. There is a video when he hit the green at Oakhill. That swing he should keep as a, "DO THIS AGAIN". Not as much squat as he usually does.

Tiger was 62.5% last year.

Ok I admit he's getting better :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I still say his driving could use improvement. For one thing, he's lower than 100th in smash factor, which should be higher given how good a ballstriker he is. He also hits down, which is always going to cost you yardage. He also hits fairly few drives over 300 and over 320, in the latter he is barely in the upper half of the tour despite his decent clubhead speed. Meanwhile Angel Cabrera kicks his ass in those categories despite being 6 years older and having worse average launch conditions.

In terms of being able to bring big drives when needed, Tiger doesn't seem to have the extra gear of other elite drivers. Though he's a conservative player using higher spin equipment than others, he should either be able to hit more fairways (which is quite mediocre for someone that conservative) or improve his 300+ percentage if not both.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

How bout this...How much money has Tiger won/made. Where does he stand in the Distance category this year, I haven't looked, but I'd bet he's in the first 1/2. He's 38, had knee surgery, and seems to be doing just fine ...thank you.

Haters gonna hate.

I really don't think his distance is a problem. When he hits the fairway he does fine. I think he's gearing up for the majors and from now on that's his only goal. As much as he wants to win every tourney he's in he's looking at the big picture 19.

Note: This thread is 3712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!