IGNORED

Distance...Club Head Speed, or Technique..?

Hammer 4
Note: This thread is 3725 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Agreed that you're born with speed, but the 152 yard on the fly 9i seems within reason.

BTW, I used the swing speed radar and had a few rogue 128mph 18 degree hybrid shots. This was before my swing improvements, so the only thing I can think of is that the radar was measuring the ball speed and not club head speed. Even with my swing improvements, there's no way. No measuring device is perfect.

I agree with @MS256.

I don't know you - but in most cases it would be safe to assume that a 128mph hybrid is a misread. ;-)

As far as I can make out, some radar devices actually use measured ballspeed in an algorithm to determine clubhead speed.

All that said, spikes in speed of up to 10mph would be consistent with the occasional shot that travels an extra 20 yards or so. I'm sure we've all had those experiences on the course, whether or not there's been a radar there to verify the speed.

I actually did this yesterday. I accidentally picked up my 9 instead of my 6 and I was 155 out up hill. Took a few practice swings, and hit my shot. I hit the ball pin high just left of the green. Walked back to my bag, and noticed my 6 iron in the bag and I was like "no way". I checked many times and just couldn't believe it.

Now we'er getting somewhere. When I said that my search was that I found that technique was the result of speed, and not physical prowess, it was because I didn't see much to the contrary. And by the looks of some of your post's, you guys also have experienced the same thing. So it is possible to be " longer " without swinger faster to produce much more club head speed. And btw, I could live with hitting my 9i 150 yards on a daily basis.. :-D

Another question, has anyone duplicated that swing on a regular basis..?

Again, thanks for your input.,

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

All that said, spikes in speed of up to 10mph would be consistent with the occasional shot that travels an extra 20 yards or so. I'm sure we've all had those experiences on the course, whether or not there's been a radar there to verify the speed.

I don't think better players have those experiences (flier lies excluded). I think the extra 20 yards just occur when someone catches the ball cleanly and everything timing-wide lines up once in a blue moon.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't think better players have those experiences (flier lies excluded). I think the extra 20 yards just occur when someone catches the ball cleanly and everything timing-wide lines up once in a blue moon.

Yeah but, most of the good players hit their 9i 150+ yards all the time..so there's still hope for me..? lol

Depends on what you mean by "better player". It stands to reason that better players are going to be more consistent in their swing speed. But  I'm positive there's a Nicklaus quote out there, I'm thinking Golf My Way, about the occasional long iron that feels effortless and flies like nobody's business - and I didn't get the impression he was talking about flier lies.

• Administrator
[QUOTE name="birlyshirly" url="/t/72283/distance-club-head-speed-or-technique/18#post_946510"]   Depends on what you mean by "better player". It stands to reason that better players are going to be more consistent in their swing speed. But  I'm positive there's a Nicklaus quote out there, I'm thinking Golf My Way, about the occasional long iron that feels effortless and flies like nobody's business - and I didn't get the impression he was talking about flier lies. [/QUOTE] If such a quote exists, then I'd suggest that has a lot to do with the equipment they were using at the time or something else. I highly doubt that sometimes a player just randomly swings an iron 10 MPH faster.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Agreed that you're born with speed, but the 152 yard on the fly 9i seems within reason.

BTW, I used the swing speed radar and had a few rogue 128mph 18 degree hybrid shots. This was before my swing improvements, so the only thing I can think of is that the radar was measuring the ball speed and not club head speed. Even with my swing improvements, there's no way. No measuring device is perfect.

I agree with @MS256.

I don't know you - but in most cases it would be safe to assume that a 128mph hybrid is a misread.

As far as I can make out, some radar devices actually use measured ballspeed in an algorithm to determine clubhead speed.

Nope, just faulty equipment.

The Swing Speed radar unit is even more prone to adding yet another 5 to 10mph.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

[QUOTE name="iacas" url="/t/72283/distance-club-head-speed-or-technique/18#post_946511"]   If such a quote exists, then I'd suggest that has a lot to do with the equipment they were using at the time or something else. I highly doubt that sometimes a player just randomly swings an iron 10 MPH faster. [/QUOTE] As I said, you'd expect better players to be more consistent in their clubhead speed. Then again, I've seen very good players vary 4 - 5 mph in the course of only a dozen swings, so the occasional spike somewhere between 5 and 10 mph doesn't seem outlandish to me, even for a pro. Lihu - I'm sorry if you thought I meant that you'd misread the display - I meant only that the sensor misread the clubhead speed. You have the same unit I have - and for what it's worth, I have read online that it does base its readings at least in part on measured ballspeed. I know mine records much higher speeds when I hit balls than when I just make the fastest swings I can muster with no ball. I also have the occasional freak reading like yours! Do you think it's generally MORE reliable than the SSR units? You can open it up and calibrate it if you think its readings are consistently out.

• Administrator
As I said, you'd expect better players to be more consistent in their clubhead speed. Then again, I've seen very good players vary 4 - 5 mph in the course of only a dozen swings, so the occasional spike somewhere between 5 and 10 mph doesn't seem outlandish to me, even for a pro.

So your point then is what (seriously)? Cuz I'm going with what I know, and I've said that stuff already. It doesn't include 4-5 MPH variances on swings that are supposed to be the same. Haven't seen it. If you've seen it using crappy measuring equipment, then you probably haven't seen it either, truly.

Here's the first data that came to hand. Sorry if you consider it crappy measuring equipment. [URL=http://www.andrewricegolf.com/2012/09/driver-test-old-vs-new/]http://www.andrewricegolf.com/2012/09/driver-test-old-vs-new/[/URL] Maybe Andrew started out cautiously and was really cranking out the last couple of drives - though that would be an odd way to conduct a test. My point? That we're not machines and there will be some variation from swing to swing.

• Administrator
Here's the first data that came to hand. Sorry if you consider it crappy measuring equipment. [URL=http://www.andrewricegolf.com/2012/09/driver-test-old-vs-new/]http://www.andrewricegolf.com/2012/09/driver-test-old-vs-new/[/URL] Maybe Andrew started out cautiously and was really cranking out the last couple of drives - though that would be an odd way to conduct a test. My point? That we're not machines and there will be some variation from swing to swing.

Drivers aren't irons. The purpose of a driver is different than an iron. I was talking about iron swings where distance control matters. Driver swings aren't supposed to be "the same" because distance control is a non-factor. And even if you want to allow driver swings (I do not and couldn't care less about them in this context), you don't see his speed bouncing around much at all, even WITH a driver. So again, what's your point exactly? Cuz mine remains: players don't randomly swing 10 miles an hour faster when the swings are supposed to be the same. There are other reasons they occasionally "catch one."

It seems to be your point that it's impossible that Hammer hit a freak 9 iron 15 yards further than his usual from a driving range mat as a result of increased swingspeed. I just don't think it's as outlandish as you seem to.

• Administrator
It seems to be your point that it's impossible that Hammer hit a freak 9 iron 15 yards further than his usual from a driving range mat as a result of increased swingspeed. I just don't think it's as outlandish as you seem to.

It is unlikely (don't add words like "impossible"). And this is a 9-iron, not a driver.

I don't think Erik was implying that I couldn't do it. To me he's saying better players don't do it much at all, where as an amateur could do it.

• Administrator
I don't think Erik was implying that I couldn't do it. To me he's saying better players don't do it much at all, where as an amateur could do it.

For the most part, yes. @Hammer 4 , the one swing is far more likely to have synced up than for you to have swung 10 MPH faster.

For the most part, yes. @Hammer 4, the one swing is far more likely to have synced up than for you to have swung 10 MPH faster.

That's really all I was looking for, thanks. Now I wish I had that swing on video.

If I ever hit my driver 300 yds. you know I won't be posting about that..lol

• Administrator
That's really all I was looking for, thanks. Now I wish I had that swing on video.

That ball is a good indicator that you're working on good things (and doing reasonably well).

Note: This thread is 3725 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!