Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nevets88

Today I learned: Formula for minimum length space to parallel park

6 posts in this topic

Requires turning radius and a couple of other measurements based on your car and car in front. Don't own a car but working on this formula for my parents' car. http://jalopnik.com/5455423/formula-for-perfect-parallel-parking-is-bigger-than-the-spot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I'll just add to that that I hope most of you with normal sized cars come up with a number less than 22' ... because here in OC that is the number to which we design parallel parking spaces. :beer: (by 8' wide)

22? Pfffft. I've parallel parked small to mid size cars with 3 feet extra maybe less. What's a little less than a midsize? 14 feet?

22? Pfffft. I've parallel parked small to mid size cars with 3 feet extra maybe less. What's a little less than a midsize? 14 feet?

Whatever, nobody can beat this:  I once parallel parked a rental (or borrowed car, I don't remember anymore) STICK SHIFT into a really narrow space (a few feet on either side when all said and done) right here:

For whatever reason, it's not letting me upload the photo.  :( ... it was in San Francisco, on 20th street, just west of Mission ... very steep hill!!!

Definitely the highlight of my parking "career." :-P

Whatever, nobody can beat this:  I once parallel parked a rental (or borrowed car, I don't remember anymore) [U]STICK SHIFT[/U] into a really narrow space (a few feet on either side when all said and done) right here: For whatever reason, it's not letting me upload the photo.  :( ... it was in San Francisco, on 20th street, just west of Mission ... very steep hill!!! Definitely the highlight of my parking "career.":-P

Pffft. Parking a rental car is a piece of cake! Slam,bang, bang, slam and yer in!

I used to have to park my first car, in downtown Troy, NY, with no reverse. My transmission was wrecked (1979 Porsche 924) so I would have to find an uphill spot and parallel park by using gravity as my reverse.