IGNORED

My Swing (Big C)

Big C
Note: This thread is 2563 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks mike. That damn right heel sneaks up on me! I should have time to hit the range tomorrow to practice some more.

I would just make sure the right foot is turned out more than in the last video, like 10 degrees more.

And feel like the hips transfer a little forward during the backswing. "Zach Johnson" feel.

So if I was to hold a stick against your right hip at set-up, by the top of the backswing the hip will have move a few inches away from the stick. Will really help with the downswing stuff.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great progress today @Big C !

A1 stuff, feet flared and having the hands more forward. Helps keep the start lines straighter and hit it more in the center of the face.

Feeling was to keep the hips turning and feel like the left hip moved slightly towards the target on the backswing. Also did that drill with the ball inside your right heel. Feeling was that the right hip kept turning and transferred over that ball on the backswing. Length of the arm swing is the same but you're turning your torso more.

Awesome picture here!

A1 and A4 changes helped set up the changes in the next two pics. Because the hips were centered on the backswing it's easier to get the weight more forward and the right heel doesn't have to lift so early in order to try and swing out at the ball.

More "thrust" in that right pic.

Start lines were MUCH more consistent.

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks for your help, Mike. You gave me some great info in our time together. I'm looking forward to practicing the feels that we discussed and will continue to post updates of my swing during the course of the next few weeks.

A few more videos from my range session today. Both are down the line, since I didn't have anyone there to video my swing (had to prop the phone up against a bench). I see some improvement (right knee doesn't kick in as much), but my follow through still looks a bit awkward to me, particularly on the 4 iron full swing. I'll try to post a few face on videos later in the week.

A few more videos from my range session today. Both are down the line, since I didn't have anyone there to video my swing (had to prop the phone up against a bench). I see some improvement (right knee doesn't kick in as much), but my follow through still looks a bit awkward to me, particularly on the 4 iron full swing. I'll try to post a few face on videos later in the week.

Looking good, keep it up.

For recording, something like this might be good, not sure if you have an iPhone.

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

A few more videos from range session today. I feel like the "picture" that @mvmac alluded to is getting better but the process is really slow. I like the pic of my 4 iron face on a lot better than I like 6 Iron DTL. Both shots were well struck, but my pivot and weight shift was better on the first swing.

I also included two videos of my 3 wood, which has become a disaster of late. Once it was my most reliable club off the tee by far. Now, I stand over it with no idea where the ball is going. The two videos are a good indicator of that. The first shot was topped (never made it more than two feet off the ground) and the second was better, but it was "over drawn" and ended up probably 5-10 yards left of my intended line. Any thoughts or suggestions for the 3 wood?

Much better with the hips turning on the backswing. Couple things to be aware of.

- Head is moving a little too far forward (towards the target) on the backswing. So keep the hips turning but don't let the head translate too far forward.

- I think the head going forward partially contributes to this knee/heel piece because the head will want to go back but it is something you just do. You can "get away" with the heel coming off the ground so early with some irons but the 3 wood won't be as forgiving. It makes finding the sweetspot difficult because of how the wrists have to unload into the ball.

Here's how I would go about practicing it. From A4, transfer the weight forward as you bank the right foot, meaning the foot rolls onto the instep. To do this you are going to transfer and open the hips. Might almost feel like you are "torquing" the ankles counter clockwise. Do it slow.

Mike McLoughlin

• 6 months later...

This thread has been dormant for awhile because.... well..... my practice has been dormant for awhile. Nonetheless, I decided to reflect back on the advice that @mvmac gave me several months ago, review the old videos, really try to digest the suggestions and translate that with a few trips to the range over the past month.

All I can say is that there's lots of good stuff in there that I either buried (mentally) or overlooked on the first go around. Here is a video of one of my swings from a recent range session. Even though I'm not close to where I want to be, I can still confidently say that "the picture" is getting better than it was earlier in the year. I still need to work on keeping my head steady when I "bump" my hips forward. Right now, my natural inclination is to move my head forward along with my hips. But on the other side of the coin, I think my weight transfer is improving, my right foot is kicking in just a bit less (still room for improvement though) and my follow through is improved when my left elbow doesn't fold across the body nearly as much.

Kudos to Mike, I think you've give me some great advice and there still many months of practice that I can take away from what you've shared with me already.

• 5 months later...

Here are some recent swing videos. My contact was very good during this range session, and I think I am seeing some improvements up until the point of impact. I still can't stop my arms from folding across my body as opposed to down the target line, however. Any thoughts or suggestions?

As simple as it sounds, probably a steady head right now. In my zeal to get my left hip moving forward on the backswing, I had started to develop the bad habit of shifting my shoulders and head forward on my takeaway. You can see this flaw in some of my prior videos. Since I've focused on keeping my head steady during takeaway, my contact has improved. Looking ahead, I feel that I do an adequate job of getting my weight forward and my impact position looks ok, but that follow through is an eyesore. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a swing path issue, but what do I know?

Here are some recent swing videos. My contact was very good during this range session, and I think I am seeing some improvements up until the point of impact. I still can't stop my arms from folding across my body as opposed to down the target line, however. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Just took a quick look but definitely looks better than last year. I'd like to see that left knee flex/rotate more "in" on the backswing (towards the center of your stance). Will allow the hips to stay centered. I'll try to have a closer look tomorrow.

Pretty solid right here!

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator

I have an idea what is causing the look on the follow-through (not that it matters a ton but it does matter a little). Do you have a slow-mo DTL video to confirm this?

Also, are these your "natural" swings? Pretty much free of swing thoughts/things you're working on?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have an idea what is causing the look on the follow-through (not that it matters a ton but it does matter a little). Do you have a slow-mo DTL video to confirm this?

Also, are these your "natural" swings? Pretty much free of swing thoughts/things you're working on?

@iacas , I did take a DTL video, but the camera angle was really poor, so I didn't post it. I can do so anyway, in case there is something you can glean. Yes, that's a fair representation of my current natural swing. I wouldn't say it's entirely free of swing thoughts, but it's what I would expect to take with me to the course next time I play.

• 1 month later...

I will have a couple weeks without travel coming up and should be able to spend some more time at the range, so I took a couple videos yesterday in hopes of soliciting feedback. I've gotta admit, it's frustrating to see the same old tendencies that have plagued me for years continue to persist. Somewhere on the downswing (A5?) my pivot just stalls and my arms take over my swing. It's most apparent on the driver, I think. My driver DTL video was a nice low pull that I almost deleted out of embarrassment. But the more I thought about it, my crappiest swings are probably the most fertile ground for improvement.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some videos taken from the driving range session after my round today. My ball striking was poor during the round, but I was hitting them quite well on the range afterwards. Go figure. I am trying to perfect the feel of the inward right knee rotation during the backswing. My hip turn is a little bit better (I think), but I could still stand to improve. Plus, it appears that my head is tilting slightly forward on the backswing, where ideally I'd like to keep it more steady. Any other thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Overall looks much better. To keep changing the picture with the backswing, allow the left knee to move inwards as it gains flex. Will help the hips keep turning and change the torso "tilt". This will put the arms in a better position to fire on the downswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 2563 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!