IGNORED

Golf book for the mental game.

owens251109
Note: This thread is 3703 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Afternoon. Looking for a good book for the mental side of the game, Any suggestions? thanks

Driver: R11s - 3wood: RBZ - MIzuno 2 iron - rons: taylormade burner 2.0 4-pw - 63 degree: nike VR Forged - 52 Degree: nike VR Forged - 60 degree: callaway - Putter: odyssey white ice 2 ball I'm going to qualify for the U.S. Open and kick your boyfriend's ass. Whatever you think of me, you should know he hates old people, children, and dogs. Roy McAvoy.

Dr. Bob Rotella -- I hear they are all good. I have audio versions (read by author) of two and love them. Listen to them when alone in the car on long trips.

"Your 15th Club"

"Putting Out Of Your Mind"

After first listen to "Putting Out Of Your Mind" I had the best putting rounds in years. Literally after getting out of the car and stepping onto a course I'd never seen, I had 29 putts.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

For the mental side I like a book titled "THE INNER GAME OF GOLF" by W. Timothy Gallwey.  It is an old book and difficult to find but Mr. Gallwey was a club tennis pro that decided to learn to play golf.  Since he was a teacher of the mental side of tennis he applied these techniques to his own learning of golf.  It is the story of his journey to a low handicap and the techniques he used. :smartass:

Butch

The Elements of Scoring by Raymond Floyd

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what your swing looks like, it only matters how quickly you can get the ball in the hole, and this book is one I read before every golf season.  Floyd comes right and says "Give me your golf game, and I'll beat you 9/10 times" and this book gives you a great guide to using your current game and lowering your score.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

I would agree with all the Bob Rotella books. My favorite is "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect." I would also recommend "Paper Tiger" by Tom Coyne. It is not entirely about the mental aspect of the game, but the few things it does highlight are very insightful. The book follows a man's journey trying to get on the PGA by putting life on hold and dedicating every dollar, minute, and ounce of focus on the game for a span of 2 years. Great read.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Seeing how I have four of the Rotella's books I say he is a good one.  However, one of the first books I read on the mental game and approach was Dr. Joe Parent "Zen Golf."  I have found myself going back to this book every year because I like the Zen warrior approach to golf.

In my bag:

Driver: Covert Performance
Super Hybrid : :nike: 2H - 17* Covert Performance

Irons: :nike:Covert 4I - PW

Wedges: :nike:X3X Wedges (52*, 56*, 60*)

Putter: Method Core 1i

Ball: :nike:One RZN

Upgrading Always.

The Elements of Scoring by Raymond Floyd

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what your swing looks like, it only matters how quickly you can get the ball in the hole, and this book is one I read before every golf season.  Floyd comes right and says "Give me your golf game, and I'll beat you 9/10 times" and this book gives you a great guide to using your current game and lowering your score.

I second this recommendation.  And unlike most of the other books that are being mentioned, this is one by a guy ho has done it under the some of the most pressure-packed situations there are in golf.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Golf is Not a Game of Perfect is pretty much required reading for the golf team I coach along with the Little Red Book. I also read through both books just before the season starts and it helps me out a lot.

Note: This thread is 3703 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!