IGNORED

Keeping the left wrist flat for irons

Alohaed
Note: This thread is 3730 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all, This past fall I went to my driving range and wanted to find which instructor there would give me a quick lesson, and also film my swing. He wasn't there, yet the elderly gentleman in the pro shop asked me why, and other questions. Then he grabbed a 6 iron from a bag of loose irons, told me to buy a bucket of balls and meet him at a stall. After watching my swing, he told me "strong left grip( as for holding, not position) and keep wrist flat". What a difference this made, saved me the $100 or whatever on the lesson. He wouldn't even take a tip. I also saw this on some Golf Revoltuion vids and see this now when they show SloMo swings of pros during a tournement. It makes sense, as for the compressing of the ball. Also, holding the club a bit tighter with my left hand, prevents the club from opening or closing for me. I did forget to ask him about the driver. Could, or should, I keep the wrist flat for my driver also, even though I am not hitting down on the ball, rather hitting up? Thanks.

Hey all,

This past fall I went to my driving range and wanted to find which instructor there would give me a quick lesson, and also film my swing. He wasn't there, yet the elderly gentleman in the pro shop asked me why, and other questions. Then he grabbed a 6 iron from a bag of loose irons, told me to buy a bucket of balls and meet him at a stall. After watching my swing, he told me "strong left grip( as for holding, not position) and keep wrist flat". What a difference this made, saved me the $100 or whatever on the lesson. He wouldn't even take a tip. I also saw this on some Golf Revoltuion vids and see this now when they show SloMo swings of pros during a tournement. It makes sense, as for the compressing of the ball. Also, holding the club a bit tighter with my left hand, prevents the club from opening or closing for me. I did forget to ask him about the driver. Could, or should, I keep the wrist flat for my driver also, even though I am not hitting down on the ball, rather hitting up?

Thanks.

Check out this thread:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/55426/introducing-five-simple-keys

Key 3 is flat left wrist. Essential!

Also look at videos and drills pertaining to this key here:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Could, or should, I keep the wrist flat for my driver also, even though I am not hitting down on the ball, rather hitting up?

Yes you can hit up and still have an inline impact/flat left wrist.  Just make sure the ball is at or just in front of your left shoulder.  Couple examples of inline impact (key #3) with the driver.  Note that the shaft isn't passing the line of the left forearm and there is still some bend in the right wrist.  They are not trying to "hold" any of these angles, just where things line up in the sequence of the motion.

With a driver it's ok to see those angles reconcile slightly earlier, mostly due to the ball position being forward.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks all. I should be reading this forum more often, not knowing about the "Keys". Anyway, even though I am hitting down on the ball, yet not having a flat wrist at impact, I guess I am not compressing the ball enough. Therefor is it safe to assume I can get more distance with a flat wrist? Also, Mike, thanks for the driver tips. Should I also, as with my irons, set up with the hands and shaft, tilted ahead of the ball, and keep them this way at impact? Weather SUCKS here in NYC!!!! With all these good tips, it's still to brisk to go to the driving range, wth their heated stalls. If it would just get to the low to mid 40s, I will be there in a heart beat. Not just for practice, I simply want to hit golf balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks all. I should be reading this forum more often, not knowing about the "Keys".

Anyway, even though I am hitting down on the ball, yet not having a flat wrist at impact, I guess I am not compressing the ball enough.

Therefor is it safe to assume I can get more distance with a flat wrist?

Yeah not "owning" the 3rd Key is going to make solid contact more variable. Owning Key #3 helps you strike the ball first and hit it in the center of the face. You can still "flip" at it and take a divot but you'll encounter more fat, thin, toe and heel shots.

Yes improving impact alignments does generally result in slightly more swing speed and more ball speed because of solid contact.

Also, Mike, thanks for the driver tips. Should I also, as with my irons, set up with the hands and shaft, tilted ahead of the ball, and keep them this way at impact?

I think having some lean at address is a good thing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3730 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!