IGNORED

Is there an official rule that limits your score to 10 on each hole?

jscomp
Note: This thread is 3701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've seen people do that. They'll be chopping away in a bunker, or chipping back and forth, etc, and they'll give themselves a 10 on that hole. Occasionally they'll just throw in the towel, pick up the ball, and give themselves a 10. Is that an actual USGA rule, or weekend warrior code?

I've seen people do that. They'll be chopping away in a bunker, or chipping back and forth, etc, and they'll give themselves a 10 on that hole. Occasionally they'll just throw in the towel, pick up the ball, and give themselves a 10. Is that an actual USGA rule, or weekend warrior code?

No.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

there are maximums for handicap purposes. But most folks will just stop at 10 to "speed" things along. Unfortunately, they are so slow on the first 9, they may as well count them all. Unless you're out for "Most Honest Golfer" title at an outing, of course.

Not a real rule. Just an easy way out.

There is, however, a thing called Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) which sets the maximum score you can submit on a hole for handicap purposes, based on your current course handicap. Again, this applies only to scores to be submitted for handicapping reasons.

This article has some good information about ESC.

Tyler Martin

Thank God!

If somebody in front of me is at more than 10 strokes, and is still trying to get the ball in the hole, I'm probably looking around for a more empty part of the course to play on.

Thank God!

If somebody in front of me is at more than 10 strokes, and is still trying to get the ball in the hole, I'm probably looking around for a more empty part of the course to play on.

Good grief no doubt I can't and won't play behind someone doing that. I am all for respect on the course but I rolled through and skipped a hole uninvited a few times in 2013 after slow groups let the group ahead get away from them doing that. It's more than the time the frustration factor is high watching that unfold.

Dave :-)

Almost all of my playing partners ESC at double par and treat it as "official" score. :-D If it's for the money then it could be like this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWTXoNzuk8c

there are maximums for handicap purposes. But most folks will just stop at 10 to "speed" things along. Unfortunately, they are so slow on the first 9, they may as well count them all. Unless you're out for "Most Honest Golfer" title at an outing, of course.

Also, some people play double par rules. I have played a few times with some buddies where we have done 11 being the highest you can get. After that, it's "shot limit exceeded" like in the Tiger Woods PGA Tour games.

• 1 month later...
I have no problem with picking the ball up and putting down whatever score you want....most of the time. However I play with two guys fairly regularly, one is not so terrible the other is terrible. The terrible guy will pick up and say just put me down for double par, ok. Then the not so terrible guy will legitimately get a 7 (par 4). Terrible guy at the end of the round says he beat not so terrible guy. No you didn't because that 8 (double par) was really an 11 or worse. I say keep score correctly and talk about what you shot or keep score anyway you want just don't talk about it.

In the XTreme bag:
Driver: Steelhead
Fairway Woods: Steelhead 3 and 5 wood
Hybrids: 3 and 4
Irons: Victory Red Full Cavity (5-AW)Sand Wedge: Sand Wedge (old school)Putter: Pal 5Ball: Pro V1

I have no problem with picking the ball up and putting down whatever score you want....most of the time. However I play with two guys fairly regularly, one is not so terrible the other is terrible. The terrible guy will pick up and say just put me down for double par, ok. Then the not so terrible guy will legitimately get a 7 (par 4). Terrible guy at the end of the round says he beat not so terrible guy. No you didn't because that 8 (double par) was really an 11 or worse. I say keep score correctly and talk about what you shot or keep score anyway you want just don't talk about it.

I agree, before I started trying to calculate my scores for handicap purposes, I would count every single stroke. (shot a 156 last summer, which led me to go get lessons), Now due to ESC, I pick up at 10, so I can calculate my handicap. Although, I have a high handicap anyway. But I did start getting better towards the end of the summer. Shot a 45 on the front 9 at one course, which had me thrilled. So hopefully this year I will get a more respectful handicap.

In my :tmade: Burner Golf Bag

:tmade:R1 Black Driver 10.5 degrees

:tmade:RBZ 3-Wood

:tmade:Burner Superfast 2.0 3-hybrid

:tmade:Burner 2.0 irons 4-PW, AW, SW, LW

:tmade:Spiderblade putter

:adidas:Audizero Golf shoes

Note: This thread is 3701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!