IGNORED

50 yds n in .... 2 strokes

achadha7
Note: This thread is 3691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I have been suffering for a while with this issue and it is really hurting my score. Make a beautiful drive on a short par 4. 280 yds. Forward pin 50 yds from the hole, I should be on in 2 but the next shot I either leave it short at 30 yds in the green side bunker or skull it and it races across and now it takes me min 1 more stroke to get oon the green if not 2. Similar situation and I am 70 yds out no problem I am on. Please help me remedy this. 90 yds n in I am using my 55 deg sand wedge (shortest club in my bag) any tips / drills would really help. I am also considering adding a 58 or 60 deg club.

In the :tmade: san clemente 14 way bag: :ping: G30 Stiff shaft driver 9deg upped to 10 :tmade: RocketBallz 4-sw Steel Stiff Shaft :callaway: 50 degree wedge :wilson_staff: 58 deg Wedge :cleve: Center shaft putter :titleist: Balls & :footjoy: BOA shoes

On shorter shots with your wedge, are you slowing your swing down to take distance off, shortening your swing, choking down on the club, or some combination of the three?

Inconsistency in this distance range is typically due to lack of acceleration through the hitting zone. Another common problem is keeping weight forward. It can be really tempting to keep your weight back to try to help the ball in the air, but not keeping your weight forward will make short wedge shots and pitches very difficult.

I don't think it's an issue with the club you use, just the manner in which you swing. I can comfortably hit anything from a 60* to a pitching wedge from 50 yards.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On shorter shots with your wedge, are you slowing your swing down to take distance off, shortening your swing, choking down on the club, or some combination of the three? Inconsistency in this distance range is typically due to lack of acceleration through the hitting zone. Another common problem is keeping weight forward. It can be really tempting to keep your weight back to try to help the ball in the air, but not keeping your weight forward will make short wedge shots and pitches very difficult.  I don't think it's an issue with the club you use, just the manner in which you swing. I can comfortably hit anything from a 60* to a pitching wedge from 50 yards.

Putting my wt forward or choking down I mostly skull it. These shots I usee a shorter n slower back swing . This issue only comes out at the course. At the range , flag at 50 and I land pretty close.

In the :tmade: san clemente 14 way bag: :ping: G30 Stiff shaft driver 9deg upped to 10 :tmade: RocketBallz 4-sw Steel Stiff Shaft :callaway: 50 degree wedge :wilson_staff: 58 deg Wedge :cleve: Center shaft putter :titleist: Balls & :footjoy: BOA shoes

Putting my wt forward or choking down I mostly skull it. These shots I usee a shorter n slower back swing .

This issue only comes out at the course. At the range , flag at 50 and I land pretty close.

This could be a posture issue..? Are you by any chance raising up just before contact..? Key #1 might be a good remedy.

http://purestrike5sk.com/videos.php  check these vid's out.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/39411/quickie-pitching-video

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Hit 3 wood instead of driver off the tee.  That'll leave you 70 yards out.

Lol dont own a 3 wood. Driver, 4i-sw (55 deg) Good options for a 3 or 4 wood ?

Good example of playing to your weakness.  And I'll admit, a 50 yard pitch is a much more difficult shot than 80-100 yard shot for many of us.  If you are much better from 70 or more yards out, play a tee ball that gets you into position for a shot that plays to your strength as opposed to playing to a weakness.

My scramble team picks me for good iron shots inside 150.  During one event, we had a guy who could bomb it off the tee.  Problem was he kept putting us at a point on many holes where a 60-40 yard pitch was our 'money shot.'  Nobody else on our team could hit the shot, so it was up to me.  After not sticking it close, I suggested we start looking at shots from around 80-100 yards which are much more manageable for all FOUR players in the group.  We started making birdies after that.

Again, try to keep yourself from the half-wedge shots until you can practice from that range enough to become automatic from 50-60 yards out.  If you watch TV golf, tour pros rarely leave themselves with a shot from that distance.  On layup holes (far and few between for a tour player) the standard yardage for a layup is right around 100.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Thanks dave but I can make the 30 -50 yd shots on the range but on the course it seems as if I have never hit that distance

Thanks dave but I can make the 30 -50 yd shots on the range but on the course it seems as if I have never hit that distance

Just my opinion, but if you can't translate it to the course then it doesn't matter how good you are on the range. I think many people play by the rule that if a Par 4 is under 400 yrds then you would be better off not hitting driver. From your description, a 280 drive leaves you 50 yards making the hole a 330 yd par 4. Next time you play the hole, if you are able, play 3 balls, one driver, one hybrid and one 5i. See which one results in a GIR, if they all do, which one is closest to the hole? Golf is less about a 50 yard chip, it's all about proper course management. Good luck! Brad

Watch the Lee Trevino youtube video on this,he refers to Steve Stricker as well in it.It's a dead wrist lifting action on the way back  needed rather than a wristy cocking action.Ball back in stance and weight (ie hips) stay forward.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

With the lies being equal, the closer I am to the green the higher percentage of shots I am going to hit close enough to one putt...No distances that are exceptions.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/39411/quickie-pitching-video

Another vote for this, makes solid contact so much easier from these distances.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I find that if I have my 1/2 and 3/4 and full wedges dialed in its a simple shot from 60 yards and out toward 140 yards Inside 60 yards there's a lot more art in wedge play so the selection of shot making can be more overwhelming and confusing. I often ask myself if I'm short side or not and then look at the lie and that pretty much tells me what options I have left. If the condition were right I think I could use a putter from 50 yards and get up and down in two

Just my opinion, but if you can't translate it to the course then it doesn't matter how good you are on the range. I think many people play by the rule that if a Par 4 is under 400 yrds then you would be better off not hitting driver. From your description, a 280 drive leaves you 50 yards making the hole a 330 yd par 4. Next time you play the hole, if you are able, play 3 balls, one driver, one hybrid and one 5i. See which one results in a GIR, if they all do, which one is closest to the hole? Golf is less about a 50 yard chip, it's all about proper course management. Good luck! Brad

Thanks will do that. But the core issue isn't solved still. Lets say par 5 . I hit the 3rd a lil fat and it lands 30 to 50 short of the green. I am screwed again. I am gonna look at the videos but do you guys think a 58/60 deg would be a wise investment

I find that if I have my 1/2 and 3/4 and full wedges dialed in its a simple shot from 60 yards and out toward 140 yards Inside 60 yards there's a lot more art in wedge play so the selection of shot making can be more overwhelming and confusing. I often ask myself if I'm short side or not and then look at the lie and that pretty much tells me what options I have left. If the condition were right I think I could use a putter from 50 yards and get up and down in two

I wish I could. All greens are elevated/ higher than the fairway except at a couple of holes where I used a 7i with a putting stroke and rolled it on

[quote name="dchoye" url="/t/72361/50-yds-n-in-2-strokes/0_100#post_947235"]I find that if I have my 1/2 and 3/4 and full wedges dialed in its a simple shot from 60 yards and out toward 140 yards Inside 60 yards there's a lot more art in wedge play so the selection of shot making can be more overwhelming and confusing. I often ask myself if I'm short side or not and then look at the lie and that pretty much tells me what options I have left. If the condition were right I think I could use a putter from 50 yards and get up and down in two

I wish I could. All greens are elevated/ higher than the fairway except at a couple of holes where I used a 7i with a putting stroke and rolled it on[/quote] There was a lot of good advice given on chipping, did any of it work for you? The video about "brushing" these shots worked well for me last night. Try playing a par3 course to practice these feel distances. That gives you a chance to practice these short distances more.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

If the 70 yard shot is no problem then I doubt it's technique per se.  That's nothing against the video but at some point you have confidence and lose it with a certain mental picture or situation.

The mental block is a good recipe for deceleration and geauxforbroke's idea is spot in IMHO.

Have you tried the goldilocks approach?  One swing you know is not enough momentum, one swing you know is too much, take one in between and go.  Something to distract your mind from the "problem" and get you to focus on the target more...

Max Prokopy

University of Virginia

Note: This thread is 3691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!