IGNORED

50 yds n in .... 2 strokes

achadha7
Note: This thread is 3691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If the 70 yard shot is no problem then I doubt it's technique per se.  That's nothing against the video but at some point you have confidence and lose it with a certain mental picture or situation.

The mental block is a good recipe for deceleration and geauxforbroke's idea is spot in IMHO.

Have you tried the goldilocks approach?  One swing you know is not enough momentum, one swing you know is too much, take one in between and go.  Something to distract your mind from the "problem" and get you to focus on the target more...

All these sub-full swing yardages appear to be feel related. I also like what @geauxforbroke stated about making fully committed shots with the weight forward and choking up on clubs to reduce distance.

I think the main thing is to get a consistent swing, then do everything he mentioned and practice a lot.

It appears to be a feel related issue more than a mechanics one?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks all. Havent had a chance to yry out the advice. Will do so today. The issue is I think is a mental issue where I just choke. On the range 50-30 yds is a breeze

In the :tmade: san clemente 14 way bag: :ping: G30 Stiff shaft driver 9deg upped to 10 :tmade: RocketBallz 4-sw Steel Stiff Shaft :callaway: 50 degree wedge :wilson_staff: 58 deg Wedge :cleve: Center shaft putter :titleist: Balls & :footjoy: BOA shoes

Thanks all. Havent had a chance to yry out the advice. Will do so today.

The issue is I think is a mental issue where I just choke. On the range 50-30 yds is a breeze

The course has many things that make it hard for you to hit straight. If you are hitting off a flat lie like a golf mat, then there is nothing that can block your shot. Practice on the course in non-ideal conditions, I know this is the only thing that has been helping me.

My short game is pretty bad, but in two sessions on a par 3 course it has improved.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Good thoughts.  Clearly seems a mental block.  Go back to Tin Cup - anything you can do to get your mind off the bad performance/lack of confidence is an important step.  Find your happy place, focus on just the target, focus on just one dimple of the golf ball, whatever to get your conscious mind off the trouble you have with the shot.

Max Prokopy

University of Virginia

Bought a 58 deg. 3/4 swing and 1/2 swing 150 balls... on target. Lets hope I can replicate it on the coirse

In the :tmade: san clemente 14 way bag: :ping: G30 Stiff shaft driver 9deg upped to 10 :tmade: RocketBallz 4-sw Steel Stiff Shaft :callaway: 50 degree wedge :wilson_staff: 58 deg Wedge :cleve: Center shaft putter :titleist: Balls & :footjoy: BOA shoes

Bought a 58 deg. 3/4 swing and 1/2 swing 150 balls... on target. Lets hope I can replicate it on the coirse

Are you practicing on grass or off a mat? If you are practicing off grass, it should be pretty much the same as the course.

While my children played their league round, one of the dads and I played a chipping game. We each had three chances to get closer to the pin. After playing for an hour we both were getting pretty good at chipping to 50 yards and in.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

The last session was off the mat. Today going to the range where they let u play off the grass. So lets see

100 balls off the grass today first 10 to 15 balls failed miserably. Moved the ball further back in my stance and moved a lil away from the ball and results. Going to the course today. Fingers crossed.

100 balls off the grass today first 10 to 15 balls failed miserably. Moved the ball further back in my stance and moved a lil away from the ball and results. Going to the course today. Fingers crossed.

What is failing miserably?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

What is failing miserably?

Distance and direction was failing. At the course today 30 to 50 yds perfect distance and direction. ball even checked on the green and stopped. :) One thing done now just the putting :)

Try playing a par3 course to practice these feel distances. That gives you a chance to practice these short distances more.

there's a lot of art inside 50 yards. my philoshopy is to play along the ground if i could. If I can see the hole clearly and not short sided thats my first choice. When I get > 25 yards and I like to "pitch" as the hole looks smaller and it easier to use the pin as the target, but thats just a generally rule and not absolute. I saw this video where Johnny Miller and Jack Nicklaus was arguing about a 34 yard to the hole, and Miller said "it was imposible to putt" though the condition was perfect for using putter , so Nicklaus show him and hole the ball!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

There was a lot of good advice given on chipping, did any of it work for you? The video about "brushing" these shots worked well for me last night.

Try playing a par3 course to practice these feel distances. That gives you a chance to practice these short distances more.

there's a lot of art inside 50 yards. my philoshopy is to play along the ground if i could. If I can see the hole clearly and not short sided thats my first choice.

When I get > 25 yards and I like to "pitch" as the hole looks smaller and it easier to use the pin as the target, but thats just a generally rule and not absolute.

I saw this video where Johnny Miller and Jack Nicklaus was arguing about a 34 yard to the hole, and Miller said "it was imposible to putt" though the condition was perfect for using putter , so Nicklaus show him and hole the ball!

Amazing putt, just amazing. That's just plain unmitigated talent.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I would say experiment and find what type of shot you play most consistently. If you are hitting to within 50 yards from the tee, I would presume you are going from the fairway and at least most of the time there will not be any sand or water  between you and the green. You could try just clipping with a low iron, just a little more lift than on a putt with the backswing.  You could try a short punch with an 8 iron, or carry most of the way with a standard 48 wedge. for me the more air I have to put on the ball from that range the more generally I will struggle so I  try to keep it low.  If you must go high, go for the middle/back of the green and ignore the pin. If you pull/push or are slightly short yopu will miss most of the bunkers that way (rarely any bunkers at the back of the green)  Playing second shot from 50 is a massive opportunity, play the shot that you play best and make most consistently,  feels most comfortable, and you can see yourself making. A high lob landing just shy of the pin looks spectacular,  but the other shots played well give the same result AND are easier to play.

Either way hope you have a few ups and downs so to speak!!

Good luck

DAVY

50 yards out -- aim for the center of the green.

I play with a lot of high caps that aim for the pin and fail to get on the green -- or worse.

See the other thread that says from 60 yards and out a 20+ handicap player should aim for the center of the green.

You've just hit a great drive. Try to hit the center of the green. You might get lucky and hit it near the hole. You might hit a bad shot that still stays on the green. You've taken 6 out of the equation, nearly eliminated 5, have a great odds for a 4, and might even sink a putt for 3.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

• 4 weeks later...
50 yards out -- aim for the center of the green. I play with a lot of high caps that aim for the pin and fail to get on the green -- or worse. See the other thread that says from 60 yards and out a 20+ handicap player should aim for the center of the green. You've just hit a great drive. Try to hit the center of the green. You might get lucky and hit it near the hole. You might hit a bad shot that still stays on the green. You've taken 6 out of the equation, nearly eliminated 5, have a great odds for a 4, and might even sink a putt for 3.

This happened 4 times today. 3 feet from the hole par putt. Bogie double double bogie Twice 5 feet birdie putt.. par par ... one hole 0n in 2. Driver n 58 wedge. Then 4 putts Other that these messups I had 4 pars

Note: This thread is 3691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!