IGNORED

2014 Winter Olympics

dsc123
Note: This thread is 3705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Who's looking forward to the winter Olympics starting this Friday?

I for one really enjoy the downhill sports (skiing, snowboarding, bobsledding, etc) and hockey.  Sad to see Shaun White drop an event but at least he'll be there for the half-pipe.

I also find the horror stories from Sochi to be pretty funny and hope they keep on coming!  http://deadspin.com/staying-in-sochi-is-a-hilarious-adventure-1515722114

So what events do you like/dislike?

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Who's looking forward to the winter Olympics starting this Friday?

I for one really enjoy the downhill sports (skiing, snowboarding, bobsledding, etc) and hockey.  Sad to see Shaun White drop an event but at least he'll be there for the half-pipe.

I also find the horror stories from Sochi to be pretty funny and hope they keep on coming!  http://deadspin.com/staying-in-sochi-is-a-hilarious-adventure-1515722114

So what events do you like/dislike?

The only event in the Winter Olympics that I will be sure to watch is the Men's Downhill. Always fun to watch these lunatics push the envelope. One of my favorite all-time sporting events was Franz Klammer's downhill in the 1976 Olympics at Innsbruck. Worth a You Tube watch if you never saw it. He knew that he needed a crazy time to win and he was on the edge of disaster the whole time.

Bill M

I really like all the events. Speed skating, skiing, luge, curling, bobsled...I find them all interesting.

Unless something drastic happens, I think it's sad that this Olympics will be remembered for how bad the venue is. $50 billion+ spent and the facilities are apparently terrible from the stories coming out.

Tyler Martin

I really like all the events. Speed skating, skiing, luge, curling, bobsled...I find them all interesting.

Unless something drastic happens, I think it's sad that this Olympics will be remembered for how bad the venue is. $50 billion+ spent and the facilities are apparently terrible from the stories coming out.

The photos are damning enough without the stories.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The photos are damning enough without the stories.

You don't like pooping while touching knees with another dude? [IMG]http://sports.inquirer.net/files/2014/02/twin-toilets-sochi-russia-olympics.jpg[/IMG]

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

You don't like pooping while touching knees with another dude?

Ha ha. Hey, it's got seat covers. That's a classy bathroom.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I'm actually not really excited about any of it ... yet.  I'll definitely get into it after NBC shows me some back stories of the athletes I need to root for, but until then, I'm just ... whatever.

I do remember that I really enjoyed the Curling last time.  I like all of the alpine skiing events.  Snowboarding and freestyle skiing is also becoming quite entertaining.

Figure Skating just makes me nervous ... I just get scared for each of them every time they jump.  "Is this the one where they fall and ruin all of the hopes and dreams that they've been working towards the last four years?  Phew, nailed it!"  "Crap, here comes another one /cringe/"  etc etc.

Hockey will be exciting if USA does well, and other marquee matchups that involve Canada, Russia or Sweden will also be fun.

By next Monday, I'll probably be in love with ski jumping and luge and all of the rest of it, but just not yet.

I do remember that I really enjoyed the Curling last time.  I like all of the alpine skiing events.  Snowboarding and freestyle skiing is also becoming quite entertaining.

I think curling might be the most underrated sport of the winter Olympics. There's a lot of skill and strategy involved. Kind of like chess on ice. With brooms. And giant ass stones.

Tyler Martin

I think curling might be the most underrated sport of the winter Olympics. There's a lot of skill and strategy involved. Kind of like chess on ice. With brooms. And giant ass stones.

Totally agree. Curling rocks! Fun to play as well.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I do remember that I really enjoyed the Curling last time.

Yup, it's pretty much a guarantee I will be enjoying curling again this time around as well.   "Oh, Canadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ..."

EDIT:  Just learned, to my chagrin, that these girls didn't actually make the Canadian Olympic Team.  Bummer.

Visitors to Sochi Olympics Will Be Instantly Hacked

“The State Department warned that travelers should have no expectation of privacy, even in their hotel rooms,” NBC’s Richard Engel said in a report on Brian Williams’s show last night.

http://betabeat.com/2014/02/visitors-to-sochi-olympics-will-be-instantly-hacked/

You'd expect this though - nothing different than the summer Olympics in China.

Steve

I can't get enough of the pictures.

Seriously, there are so many weird things on the walls/ceilings of our apartment, I'm almost certain our place is being bugged/surveilled.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Visitors to Sochi Olympics Will Be Instantly Hacked “The State Department warned that travelers should have no expectation of privacy, even in their hotel rooms,” NBC’s Richard Engel said in a report on Brian Williams’s show last night. [URL=http://betabeat.com/2014/02/visitors-to-sochi-olympics-will-be-instantly-hacked/]http://betabeat.com/2014/02/visitors-to-sochi-olympics-will-be-instantly-hacked/[/URL] You'd expect this though - nothing different than the summer Olympics in China.

I would probably buy a cheap temporary laptop and burner cell phone if I were going.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I might watch a couple of timed events but as usual they will lose me as soon as they cut to judged events. (Which seemed to be most of the time in the last Winter Olympics).

I love watching most of the the Winter Olympics, I find it way more exciting then the Summer ones.

Figure Skating is really the only one I don't keep an eye on I think it is just the commentary that turns me off that.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

I think this is going to be the Olympics where I'm going to watch the BBC and CBC's coverage. Had enough of NBC and Costas.

Steve

I think this is going to be the Olympics where I'm going to watch the BBC and CBC's coverage. Had enough of NBC and Costas.

LOL ... can't blame you.

Although this is Costas' bread and butter ... I like him on the Olympics because he's in announcer mode, but not candid personal opinion mode.

Yup, it's pretty much a guarantee I will be enjoying curling again this time around as well.   "Oh, Canadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ..."

EDIT:  Just learned, to my chagrin, that these girls didn't actually make the Canadian Olympic Team.  Bummer.

Mmmmmm....luv me some Canadian Cougar.....Cheryl Bernard...she was the skip in the 2010 Olympics....I'm not sure if she's on the team in 2014.....enjoy!!!!!!

Note: This thread is 3705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!