Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MS256

The Real Castaway?

8 posts in this topic

If this story turns out to be legit (and it seems to me it is) this guy has to be the toughest man alive.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2550720/WORLD-EXCLUSIVE-First-picture-Mexican-shark-fisherman-survived-13-MONTHS-adrift-Pacific-catching-turtles-birds-bare-hands.html

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

True, but seriously that is all the beard he could grow in 14 months...pathetic. ;-)

If it does turn out to be true it is an amazing story.  Seems a bit sketchy though right now.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Water water everywhere, nor any drop to drink......

It's a fishing boat, so presumably he had equipment and some skill at fishing.  Water is the question.  14 months is a helluva long time to have to rely on rain and/or turtle blood for water.

For anyone interested in 2 very good, verified survival at sea stories, I recommend The Raft, by Robert Trumbull and Adrift, by Steven Callahan.  The true stories of 34 days and 76 days adrift respectively puts the claim of 14 months into perspective.  Maybe not impossible, but.......

Yea, I want to believe it, but I dunno. He looks way too well fed and plump for a guy who just spent 14 months lost at sea. I hope I'm wrong. But 14 months of malnourishment can cause a person to lose an insane amount of weight. And I apologize profusely to the guy if it is proven without a doubt that his story is true... or that his appearance is the result of some medical condition brought on by the ordeal.... but for a guy who should be borderline starving to death out there, he looks a bit too chubby for me to believe this 100% yet.

His health is declining.  What may look like body fat could actually be swelling due to dehydration.

His health is declining.  What may look like body fat could actually be swelling due to dehydration.

Yea it very could be. Regardless of the truth, hopefully he pulls thru.

It would be awful to survive 14 months at sea and then die after getting back to land.

He has been released from the Hospital according to news reports.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
    • 2016 BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth
      Nice to see Chris Wood win this,well done.He tends to play well in the British Open with a best T3 at Turnberry maybe this win will spur him on. Surely another Ryder cup player.
    • Your best golfing bargain
      I got two: Played Orange County National (Orlando) for 50 dollar. Including lunch and both Crooked cat and Panther lake. And got vouchers to play the course next time for half the normal price. Played a three day tourney in Sauerland (Germany) including a pré tourney round for 220 dollar. During the three days ALL drinks for free, food for free, last day dinner for free. Not just a hamburger, but full fetched all you can eat top meal (and again all drinks for free). Will be back next year 
    • GPS, WHY ?
      It comes down to how big are your shot zones. It's usually better to try to line up the shot zone center to the center of the green.
    • Are you a Better Golfer than a Year Ago?
      And confirmation. Last year I played a three day tournament in Germany and scored 82, 86 and 91. Same tourney this year 80, 83 and 86. Happy 
    • What would a PGA Tour player shoot at your home course?
      Here's some more below about the lowest you might expect - even on an easy course. I think this is largely true, but pros don't tend to play a lot on 'easy' courses so there doesn't seem to be even much anecdotal stuff. The quote below describes what's considered the 'perfect round'. I guess you could also consider a 'go-for-green' perfect round where you also hit all the par 5's in two and one-putted those for eagle for a 'go-for-green perfect' score of 50. Obviously the likelihood of doing this in a single round defies the essence of golf, but it's a good a hard theoretical lower limit that probably depends more on the par than the course rating. Likely the odds grow exponentially as the percentage of birdied / eagled holes rises. I think we can discount albatrosses as a 'perfect round' option. Most tournament pro scores don't get below 56 and 59 with about an 80/20 rule separating the more frequent 59s from the 58's. That's 4-5 strokes (assuming par 72) over the 'perfect round' and 8-9 over the 'go-for-green perfect round', each of which represent grabbing about 75% and 61% respectively of the potential shots under par realistically available. I suppose a short par-4 would add another potential eagle opportunity, but we'll discount that as I'm not sure how universal they are. The lowest tournament round was 55 (par of 71) by one single golfer out of how many total tournament rounds by pros and plus HCP amateurs over the years? So while 55 is humanly achievable it's super rare and likely represents the lower limit of any possible likelihood. That would put the absolute lowest threshold around 17.8 below the course rating (72.8) and 16 below par. So there's a lot of room to go below even a low course rating or par of 70. I don't think the expected scores would get too squished and the distribution would still likely be normal in shape. The thing that is probably unrealistic is how narrow the range of expected scores is. The field is extremely consistent, but I think a single individual player (whose average score is the same as the field) will have a score variance significantly larger than the field. I think the mode likely stays the same while the distribution flattens / spreads out more into the tails with a little more probability to both go low and high and less certainty of shooting within a stroke or two of the mode / most likely score.  
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today
  • Blog Entries