IGNORED

Do I have a problem if 95% of my day is thinking about golf?

Paiste
Note: This thread is 3716 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I may have been caught more than a few times by my work partner doing 5SK drills while waiting for a customer to be ready for us.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ha.  This is true for me, and only getting more and more true the older I get.

I hear ya there! ;-)

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I'm an absolute, 100% fanatic; a golf addict. I always thinking about my swing, equipment and the next time I'm going to the range or the course.

I'm totally obsessed with this game and the golf bug has bit me hard. I've been taking lessons with amazing results and it seems all I want to do is hit balls, whether at the range or getting out on the course.

I'm always looking at my clubs and daydreaming  during the winter months or finding a way to practice indoors, to keep my swing sharp. I'm very happy that I found this game. It keeps me out of trouble and I needed a passion like this in my life. The only problem is that I have an addictive personality and I'm definitely addicted to golf. I'm not making any impulse purchases for the sake of having the newest club or anything like that it's just that I'm really obsessed with the game. It's always fun, which is good but as soon as it stops becoming fun then I'll have to step back and reassess everything. I honestly don't find that happening anytime soon though. There are too many courses to play and way to big of a learning curve to EVER get bored of the game.

Anyone else addicted to the sport like this?

yeah, pretty much me too.    I've spent the last week focusing entirely on the low end of my bag ... considering the pro's and con's ad nauseum of a 5 wood over a 2 hybrid ... doing internet research, eBaying the best deal - if my wife weren't a golfer too, this degree of obsession would be a problem

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

When I am standing around waiting for something, anything actually, I will get in my stance and practice my shoulder turn and weight shift.  Is that so wrong?  There are worse things to be addicted to.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'm in.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I'm there with you. Offseason I spend chipping and putting, allowing me to forget the bad things that crept into my swing last season so I can start fresh in April! WTF is a fear boner?

You've never had one? It's literally when you get so scared that all your blood runs out of your arms and legs and into your core and you get a fear boner. No bueno.

Colin P.

I watch the Golf Channel every day when I get home from work and at the office when I have a few minutes I watch instruction videos all the time. Golf is permanently on my mind.

When people ask my wife if she would prefer me having a mistress instead of playing golf, her response is me having a mistress, "at least he wouldn't be talking about her every ten minutes" she says.

Right there with you buddy, I cant do anything less than 100%, drives my wife nuts. I get away with it by being 100% in our marriage. Ive worn her down though, lol. the Golf Channel is on all the time and she has conceded over the past few years. LOL. Shes at the point now that when shes at dinner with her parents, shes pointing out where the PGA, LPGA and Euro tour are playing to her dad, blows his mind. It dosent hurt that she gets to watch Rory, DJ and Bubba.

Well, I think you have a problem if that 100% is also buying equipment and interferes with job, family, savings, and marriage.

Some guys search for answers by continually purchasing equipment; it becomes an obsession.

The answer is knowing what you're doing with the stick and getting fit for the right sticks.

Other than than, it's not 100% to keep a putter on rolling carpet, rolling some balls, taking a mini-club (about 2.5 feet in length), reviewing TST threads, and practicing your swing during the winter.... is it?

IS IT????

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I see this as a two-part question.  Is it unhealthy to devote too much to your pastime, and is your pastime an unhealthy one?  I used to read books (a "healthy" pastime) but gave it up after realizing I had a real problem finishing what I started.  I played music for a while (another "healthy" one) but was never very satisfied with my compositions and found I didn't like practicing and performing other peoples' music.  Played video games for awhile (decidedly "unhealthy") before moving on to grander interests.  I rented a garage for a while and took on several car projects and got into autocross racing.  I thought this was healthy at the time but it is really just expensive.  A cool car collection is fun to have but expensive to maintain and kind of drains you just thinking about it.  Finally, I was bitten hard by the golf bug.  I don't see this as particularly healthy or unhealthy.  It is not expensive compared to cars and racing, but closer to what devoted musicians spend on instruments, amplifiers, and frequent concertgoing.  Currently I am limiting myself to four sets of clubs, plus an extra driver, putter, long iron, and a couple of wedges.  I would say I have no more than $1500 in it total, as most of my purchases are a result of deal hunting.  Time is spent "auditioning" new prospects for a slot in one of the bags, and selling off the losing candidates.  These days I get excitied planning my weekends around a heated range session where I get to pit, say, 3 drivers against one another and pick my favorite two.  Putting and chipping contests between different clubs are held in my living room.  I used to have friends who made a hobby out of growing weed (super unhealthy) or brewing beer (meh) so I could be worse off!

It's a healthy obsession. I don't spend money that would otherwise interfere with my mortgage, bills etc., and the basis of my obsession would be that I continually want to improve. I just love the game, completely.

Note: This thread is 3716 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!