IGNORED

Protecting that left knee

Note: This thread is 3692 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently watched Patrick Reed win a tournament, Humana Challenge i believe, and listened to the talking heads criticize his left foot release for the entire 4 days, while he proceeded dominate the field through the first three. This brought some attention to my own release as I always finished with my left foot, toe pointing out. It never bothered me and the few swing reviews I have had never brought a focus to it.

What i did realize is that i am protecting my left knee. I have damaged it in the past to the point that i can't drive manual transmissions unless the clutch is hydraulic to overcome the pedal pressure. So a golf swing could create issues with my knee. Stack and tilt swing is out of the question. I can load up on it to a point but the twisting on the release is not going to happen.

My point is that i notice that on my follow through, after impact, I tend to point my left foot up allowing me to rotate on my left heel as my body comes around. This allows me a full follow through without having to make any adjustments other than my left foot stance. I have no issues with balance, aim, power, etc. If i try to keep it planted, the pain i start experiencing starts affecting my release. I think i mentally start limiting my release to prevent messing up my knee. I have seen other guys with similar issues and noticed how they shorten up their fore swings to prevent over extending their knee. I haven't mentioned anything to them as it's probably not my business but i thought i'd ask around the opinions of the post if they have ever come across this idea.

Just a thought for those struggling with age and possible knee issues. Maybe its worth thinking about allowing that left foot out like Reed does.

Regards.

• Administrator
Just a thought for those struggling with age and possible knee issues. Maybe its worth thinking about allowing that left foot out like Reed does.

Or, better yet, just set up with it flared out to begin with. Then you don't have to try to dynamically flare it out in the middle of your downswing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A flared left foot enables many positive moves ...agree with Erik ....try it in practice and then see what happens on the course when you are under your own self-inflicted pressure

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario
:tmade:

I also have a bad left knee and dead nerves from the knee to my toes. Out of the question for me to let my left ankle roll over like many golfers so I have to flare the left foot (even a little more than most would probably recommend). When I first started playing my natural self-preservation instinct had me raising the left heel in the backswing and placing it back down leaving the foot open to start the downswing. I can't say that worked too badly but I finally figured I might as well just start that way to begin with. P.S. I also can't make any move that has any chance of hyper-extending the left knee so it has to stay at least slightly bent throughout the swing.

To OP, suggest observing Craig Stradler's swing.

Many golfers who have large body build will seldom make a full weight transfer side to their left, but have incredible power at impact.

This swing style will allow you to play without having complications of a weak knee.

Also, varying shot selections (3/4 swing) or like playing in windy conditions, should enable you to play without concerns.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Thanks for the input guys. I have tried changing my stance with a flared left foot. Found it when researching Hogan's swing. But its not enough. I still find myself turning on my heel or rolling over my ankle. Unfortunately i don't much care for the flared left foot stance. Throws me off somewhere on my backswing. Im going o check out Stradtler's swing to see what his weight transfer is all about. Thanks

Then youre probably doing it wrong.-You could flare your left foot out 90 degs and you couldn't possibly roll your ankle or whatever-it would limit your BS a bit though. So somewhere in the middle has to be a good mix-Otherwise you have a screwed up downswing-Most likely.[quote name="march11934" url="/t/72411/protecting-that-left-knee#post_948585"]Thanks for the input guys. I have tried changing my stance with a flared left foot. Found it when researching Hogan's swing. But its not enough. I still find myself turning on my heel or rolling over my ankle. Unfortunately i don't much care for the flared left foot stance. Throws me off somewhere on my backswing. Im going o check out Stradtler's swing to see what his weight transfer is all about. Thanks [/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

I recently watched Patrick Reed win a tournament, Humana Challenge i believe, and listened to the talking heads criticize his left foot release for the entire 4 days, while he proceeded dominate the field through the first three. This brought some attention to my own release as I always finished with my left foot, toe pointing out. It never bothered me and the few swing reviews I have had never brought a focus to it.

What i did realize is that i am protecting my left knee. I have damaged it in the past to the point that i can't drive manual transmissions unless the clutch is hydraulic to overcome the pedal pressure. So a golf swing could create issues with my knee. Stack and tilt swing is out of the question. I can load up on it to a point but the twisting on the release is not going to happen.

My point is that i notice that on my follow through, after impact, I tend to point my left foot up allowing me to rotate on my left heel as my body comes around. This allows me a full follow through without having to make any adjustments other than my left foot stance. I have no issues with balance, aim, power, etc. If i try to keep it planted, the pain i start experiencing starts affecting my release. I think i mentally start limiting my release to prevent messing up my knee. I have seen other guys with similar issues and noticed how they shorten up their fore swings to prevent over extending their knee. I haven't mentioned anything to them as it's probably not my business but i thought i'd ask around the opinions of the post if they have ever come across this idea.

Regards.

If you mean your left foot (as a RH) spins out after impact, that isn't a problem from what I have seen and do.There are videos of even Hogan doing that.There is one video of Hogan against a grid almost coming out of his shoes.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

If you mean your left foot (as a RH) spins out after impact, that isn't a problem from what I have seen and do.There are videos of even Hogan doing that.There is one video of Hogan against a grid almost coming out of his shoes.

I would be the last person to say that any technique that avoids injury is not what somebody should do (goodness knows I do my share of "wrong" things).

The OP is talking about keeping the weight on his heel during the downswing to assure that the foot is going to spin open. My only question would be if that allows the knee to flex parallel to the target line so the weight can transfer properly. I would try it myself to see but I also can't use that technique because I can't lift my toes off of the ground with any weight on my heel due to dead nerves.

I'm pretty sure he (or anybody else with a bad knee) is not talking about the natural spin out from the momentum of the swing that Hogan and countless other people did or do. With a healthy knee the worst that usually can happen if the spikes hang in the ground is that the ankle rolls over (no big deal). With a bad knee or ankle (or both) if the foot hangs and doesn't spin out the result can be much more severe.

As long as he is assured of the weight staying on the heel, and if that somehow doesn't mess up his weight forward position coming into impact, maybe he can make it work.

Then youre probably doing it wrong.-You could flare your left foot out 90 degs and you couldn't possibly roll your ankle or whatever-it would limit your BS a bit though. So somewhere in the middle has to be a good mix-Otherwise you have a screwed up downswing-Most likely.

Flaring out my foot too much does exactly that, it limits my backswing. I know my foot is planted all the way through impact. Very similar to Reed's move. Chip and pitch shots don't affect my need to turn my foot over. Its not until i hit a full swing and about some time that i straighten my left leg on the forward transition that i seem to lift my foot a bit and rotate on my heel. I know there was quite  bit of info in the Five Lessons about being on your heels and not the front part of your feet. Probably need to get a video of my self to find out when it happens.

Thanks. Have to look for those videos. If its good enough form Hogan… then certainly good enough for me. My point of the post was my noticing that even a modern pro is doing it and may last a long time  doing it rather than blowing a knee like Tiger Woods.

Thanks. Have to look for those videos. If its good enough form Hogan… then certainly good enough for me. My point of the post was my noticing that even a modern pro is doing it and may last a long time  doing it rather than blowing a knee like Tiger Woods.

check out Phil here...out of his shoes

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

Here is a video of my swing. Its a number of swings in succession so you can see i pretty much keep the foot turn consistent.

Funny thing is this is one of the only times i have ever seen my swing on video. Probably a good thing…. won't do much of this. LOL

Here is a video of my swing. Its a number of swings in succession so you can see i pretty much keep the foot turn consistent.

Funny thing is this is one of the only times i have ever seen my swing on video. Probably a good thing…. won't do much of this. LOL

You look pretty good...better than Jim Furyk.

Yea, I would flare that front foot a bit more, and then I would concentrate on keeping a bit more flex in that front knee. Your a bit too early with the extension and it looks like it is causing you to flip a bit at the ball. That could be due to the ball position as well, it is a tad to far back. I would move it forward 2 inches or so.  Yea, flare foot, little bit more knee flex going into impact, get that left wrist further forward towards your left hip at impact. Besides that, the swing looks pretty solid. You got a good turn there, head stays steady.

I recommend taking this video and posting it in a  'My Swing' thread on the forum. Get a down the line view as well, you'll get some good tips from some people who know a lot about the golf swing.

You look pretty good...better than Jim Furyk.

Yet Furyk is on the PGA tour. Lets not rip on a US open champion, ya? A swing that looks like, "an octopus falling out a tree" has been one of the most successful swings on the PGA tour.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Yet Furyk is on the PGA tour. Lets not rip on a US open champion, ya? A swing that looks like, "an octopus falling out a tree" has been one of the most successful swings on the PGA tour.

March11934 has a reasonable looking swing,better than most.My Furyk comment was meant to point out that a swing does not tell the story when it comes to striking a ball solidly.

March11934 has a reasonable looking swing,better than most.My Furyk comment was meant to point out that a swing does not tell the story when it comes to striking a ball solidly.

It does if you know how to read the story. What may look like a "bad" swing to the untrained eye may actually accomplish everything (all 5 keys) that is required to hit quality golf shots. Jim Furyk has a strange looking way of doing it but he does all 5 keys well enough to win Majors.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 3692 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!