IGNORED

NFL Draft Prospect Michael Sam Announces He's Gay

jamo
Note: This thread is 3717 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm sure there's a football player out there who let's his dog lick his balls... Why would anyone want/need to know/care?

Wow, I missed this one.  If you want to maintain the pretense that you're not homophobic, you can't draw an equivalence between an adult being attracted to other adults of the same gender and having sex with a dog, given that equivalence is taught as a foundational assertion on day one of Homophobic Propaganda 101.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow, I missed this one.  If you want to maintain the pretense that you're not homophobic, you can't draw an equivalence between an adult being attracted to other adults of the same gender and having sex with a dog, given that equivalence is taught as a foundational assertion on day one of Homophobic Propaganda 101.

It's an obviously exaggerated arbitrary example of sexual preference. Don't read too deep.

:nike:Covert Tour

:wilson_staff: Fybrid RS 15*

Irons??

:tmade: Tour Preffered 54* & 60* w/ ATV grind

:rife: Trinidad Tropical

Right. Because they are alike and even remotely the same thing.

What this kid has done is not necessarily heroic as some have stated, but it is certainly courageous. I just hope that he can get the opportunity to downplay it when the time comes for him to fit into an NFL locker room, but I doubt the media will let it slide so quickly. I don't know if this is comparable to the Riley Cooper incident, but everybody was able to get past it in Philly once they started playing football.

See post # 56.

Irons??

It's an obviously exaggerated arbitrary example of sexual preference. Don't read too deep.

No, an exaggeration is excessive emphasis with respect to what they may have in common. What you posted is apples and oranges and there is zero relevance.

• Upvote 1

Bill M

No, an exaggeration is excessive emphasis with respect to what they may have in common. What you posted is apples and oranges and there is zero relevance.

Right.  If I said I were only attracted to black women (I'm white), would he say he doesn't care, I can have sex with dogs as long as I bring my A game when we're paired up for the 2-man best ball tourney?  Wouldn't you think that just might signal a tiny bit of disapproval of interracial relationships and those who are involved in one?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

What they have in common is that they are both sexual preferences of some kind or another. I could've said bisexual or something. And that's the context in which I was using it. That single detail is actually of no importance in the point I was making.  You don't see that? The relevance is that whether an athelete is doing one or the other is none of my business.

Irons??

What they have in common is that they are both sexual preferences of some kind or another. I could've said bisexual or something. And that's the context in which I was using it. That single detail is actually of no importance in the point I was making.  You don't see that? The relevance is that whether an athelete is doing one or the other is none of my business.

Just chalk it up to a poor analogy.  It happens to everyone.  You sort of dig yourself deeper trying to defend it.

When considering whether this is newsworthy, keep in mind that CNN.com currently has the following "Top Stories" on its front page:

• Forecast: Historic, crippling, catastrophic ice
  • What about castaway's companion?
  • What's Monica Lewinsky been up to?
  • Survey: Online trolls are 'sadists
  • So, what's your baby really thinking?
  • 8 roadside curiosities worth the stop
  • L.A. not laughing at Dumb Starbucks

The bar for newsworthy is pretty low :beer:

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Hey, its cool. I'm over it. Evidently i'm not very good at conveying what I'm trying to say. Oh well. Moving on...

Irons??

Did anyone read what Sam's fathers thoughts were? He mentioned that he was struggling with it. He still loved his son, yet stated he did not want his grandkids growing up in that type of environment.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Did anyone read what Sam's fathers thoughts were? He mentioned that he was struggling with it. He still loved his son, yet stated he did not want his grandkids growing up in that type of environment.

Link, for those who haven't heard the story: http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10439397/father-michael-sam-struggling-news-son-gay

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Link, for those who haven't heard the story: http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10439397/father-michael-sam-struggling-news-son-gay

The idea of this - that a father would feel this way and say these types of things about their own son - just floors me.

[QUOTE name="jamo" url="/t/72422/nfl-draft-prospect-michael-sam-announces-hes-gay/60_30#post_949746"] Link, for those who haven't heard the story: [URL=http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10439397/father-michael-sam-struggling-news-son-gay]http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10439397/father-michael-sam-struggling-news-son-gay[/URL][/QUOTE] The idea of this - that a father would feel this way and say these types of things about their own son - just floors me.

It floors you that he would have a different belief than his son? Or the way he came about it? He said he still loves him, just doesnt agree with the lifestyle.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

It floors you that he would have a different belief than his son? Or the way he came about it?

He said he still loves him, just doesnt agree with the lifestyle.

I have no problem with a Father not being OK with this son's sexuality. The father has a right to his opinion. Its how he acts upon his opinion that tells a lot more. To put aside his opinion and still claim to love his son is a lot more than many teenagers get who come out to their parents.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Quote:

Sam's father took the news hard. He said he was eating at a Denny's restaurant but had to leave after receiving the text.

"I couldn't eat no more, so I went to Applebee's to have drinks," Sam Sr. told the newspaper.

LOL. Now that right there is some funny shit! He was so distraught he had to leave Denny's and go to Applebee's.

I agree with @Golfingdad 's sentiments, as a father I can't even fathom something like this having ANY impact on my feelings for my child. I only want one thing for my children, and that is for them to be happy.

QFT.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Reminds me of a great story, just a small piece in Golf Digest from a couple years ago. I can't seem to find it with any searches right now, but it was about a father and son.  It goes something like this.  The father was attempting to qualify for the US Open.  His son was his caddy.  The father was a solid player and had done this a few times anyway.  They played the front nine with a nice score in the high 30's.  The had gotten off the tenth tee I think it was and and were waiting in the fairway and there was a bit if a backup up ahead.  The son decided that it was a good time to tell his father that he was gay.  The father had a bit of a hard time coming to terms with it at that point and continuing his focus.  He shot somewhere in the 50's on the back nine.  Sometime later he received "the letter" from the USGA threatening a ban on competing again on the qualifier.  He replied telling the story what happened, and that he loves and supports his son, but it was a lot to take in at that point in time.  The USGA promptly reinstated his status for being able to play in the qualifiers and he played many more times shooting comfortably within the allowed number of shots over the course rating(or whatever that calculation is).  Something like that anyway.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

The idea of this - that a father would feel this way and say these types of things about their own son - just floors me.

Right after finding out, and when you are sitting down in a restaurant to eat, is probably not the best time to talk about it.

Right after finding out, and when you are sitting down in a restaurant to eat, is probably not the best time to talk about it.

I do think the dad/parents deserved more than a text but thats just me. The father's generation is way less tolerant than this generation. So he's just showing his age here nothing more in my humble opinion. Like he said, he's old school.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

It floors you that he would have a different belief than his son? Or the way he came about it?

He said he still loves him, just doesnt agree with the lifestyle.

It's not a lifestyle.  A lifestyle is something you choose.  What if Sam's father if had a hard time accepting him because he ended up a few inches shorter than the father'd hoped?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 3717 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!