IGNORED

My Swing (Nosevi)

Nosevi
Note: This thread is 3072 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosevi

Still working at it. As well as the setup changes I've been working on shortening my backswing, as Erik pointed out all the bad stuff happens because I over-rotate, and tilt, and lean, and do all sorts of daft things at the top. To be honest it gives quite a controlled feeling to my swing and really doesn't lose a lot in terms of distance, 2 or 3 yards with an iron perhaps but not a great deal. I'm working on making the same changes with my driver and there it gives the same added control without sacrificing too much if anything distance wise. Not sure if you can totally make out the numbers but this was a fair distance from a more compact and controlled swing.

All these things are good IMO but still more work to do

Looks better, keep an eye on that right arm/elbow on the backswing, getting a little behind you.

- Let the pivot carry the arms.

- Keep that right arm pressure point more in front.

Will do, thanks. That'll now be what I'm working on tomorrow  :-)

Pete Iveson

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I added one more thing to my post.

- Check the shoulder and hip alignments at set-up, shoulders look like they're aimed left. This might mean you have to check the grip and/or soften the right arm.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosevi

I added one more thing to my post.

- Check the shoulder and hip alignments at set-up, shoulders look like they're aimed left. This might mean you have to check the grip and/or soften the right arm.

Yep, got that and picked it up myself on watching the video. My shoulders were close to where I wanted them (perhaps a tad left of perfect for me) as were my feet initially. But as I settled into my setup I shuffled my right foot back to its comfort zone of being a little closed.

I'm guessing that if my lower body is a little more open it'll have the effect of making my shoulders more closed in comparison and this should soften that right elbow. Will add it to the list :-)

Pete Iveson

• Administrator

I hope no more than about 10% of your practice is at 50% speed or faster at this point.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I hope no more than about 10% of your practice is at 50% speed or faster at this point.

Have been doing a lot of slow speed stuff but if I'm honest probably a bit more than 10% going faster, maybe 25%/75% or even 33%/66%........ Or perhaps 50/50. Will slow it down a bit. The temptation to 'see where I am' is pretty big but now I know it's going ok I'll try harder to be patient :-) In fact I'll commit to a week of slow speed work and see where that gets me. I've picked up some niggling injuries, nothing major just a bit sore, so a week of enforced slow speed together with short game probably isn't a bad move.

Pete Iveson

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

Have been doing a lot of slow speed stuff but if I'm honest probably a bit more than 10% going faster, maybe 25%/75% or even 33%/66%........ Or perhaps 50/50. Will slow it down a bit. The temptation to 'see where I am' is pretty big but now I know it's going ok I'll try harder to be patient

In fact I'll commit to a week of slow speed work and see where that gets me. I've picked up some niggling injuries, nothing major just a bit sore, so a week of enforced slow speed together with short game probably isn't a bad move.

That's still pretty good. It's really hard to avoid the temptation, especially if you are on a public driving range.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

[QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/72433/my-swing-nosevi/36#post_1183750"]   [QUOTE name="iacas" url="/t/72433/my-swing-nosevi/30#post_1183701"] I hope no more than about 10% of your practice is at 50% speed or faster at this point.[/QUOTE] Have been doing a lot of slow speed stuff but if I'm honest probably a bit more than 10% going faster, maybe 25%/75% or even 33%/66%........ Or perhaps 50/50 . Will slow it down a bit. The temptation to 'see where I am' is pretty big but now I know it's going ok I'll try harder to be patient :-) In fact I'll commit to a week of slow speed work and see where that gets me. I've picked up some niggling injuries, nothing major just a bit sore, so a week of enforced slow speed together with short game probably isn't a bad move.[/QUOTE] That's still pretty good. It's really hard to avoid the temptation, especially if you are on a public driving range.

Thanks. I don't have that excuse though, all my technique work is done inside.

Pete Iveson

More work 'changing the picture' ........ or pictures as there are a bunch of things I'm working on. Been working mainly on drills (lots of slow motion :-) ) last night and today to try and nail some of the points that have been brought up, mainly by Erik and Mike. I'll compare to the first swing to show total progress but you can see where some things have come through from the last post. (On mobile so not sure if I can resize these so appologies if the pics turn out quite big.) Bit more spine tilt Maintaining that and new grip definitely helping with more wrist cock. Stopping backswing before it all goes wrong by over rotating More lag on the way down, again due to change in grip I'm guessing? Little more 'in line' down towards impact. Still probably could do with hands a fraction further forward? Feel like I've got a fraction more weight on my front foot in the finish, my weight is definitely a bit further forward. Something Mike had me working on - that right elbow being more in line rather than behind me. Definitely helped by the grip and shorter backswing but not hitting this everytime I look at playback. The fact I can do it now is definitely a step forward though. Pictures are changing, lots of hours in a short space of time. I'm a long way from it all feeling natural though :-)

Pete Iveson

Lookin good Pete.  Keep up the good work.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Lookin good Pete.  Keep up the good work.

Thanks :-) May have to slow down on the good work for a bit - bit of a sore left elbow. Too many hours in the swing studio over the last week I'm guessing. No snags, I'll have a week of putting and chipping while working on slow motion drills and I'll be back at it. One good thing about golf - there's pretty much always work you can be doing if a niggling injury sidelines you for a week or so.

Pete Iveson

Just as an aside, I don't normally keep vids of all the drills I'm doing - I video them, watch them back to make sure I'm making the move I'm trying to make, then delete them. Just about to delete this one but may as well post up as it shows just how exciting my days get. About 2 hours of doing this today trying to get that right elbow down and in a bit. Mike (hope I've got your name right @mvmac ?) said about keeping a right arm pressure point more in front. The head cover tucked under there helps me to get some feedback for that. Seems to be working but will take a while before it's part of my natural swing. [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/ctVeNphPMnY[/VIDEO]

Pete Iveson

More lag on the way down, again due to change in grip I'm guessing?

Love this.

Yes it's the grip change, change in the torso tilt, right elbow location and proper Key#2 (weight forward with a steady head)

About 2 hours of doing this today trying to get that right elbow down and in a bit. Mike (hope I've got your name right @mvmac ?) said about keeping a right arm pressure point more in front. The head cover tucked under there helps me to get some feedback for that. Seems to be working but will take a while before it's part of my natural swing.

Yep it's Mike :-)

You can even do this drill with a glove or tee under the arm. I've personally found the headcover to be too "bulky" but it's whatever works best for you.

Mike McLoughlin

[QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/72433/my-swing-nosevi/36#post_1184344"] More lag on the way down, again due to change in grip I'm guessing?  [/QUOTE] Love this. Yes it's the grip change, change in the torso tilt, right elbow location and proper Key#2 (weight forward with a steady head) [QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/72433/my-swing-nosevi/36#post_1184520"] About 2 hours of doing this today trying to get that right elbow down and in a bit. Mike (hope I've got your name right [@=/u/22889/mvmac]@mvmac[/@] ?) said about keeping a right arm pressure point more in front. The head cover tucked under there helps me to get some feedback for that. Seems to be working but will take a while before it's part of my natural swing.[/QUOTE] Yep it's Mike :-) You can even do this drill with a glove or tee under the arm. I've personally found the headcover to be too "bulky" but it's whatever works best for you.

Yep, certainly am seeing some pretty stark changes in the picture thanks to you and Erik. Lot of work eradicating some bad habits though :-) The head cover was just what came to hand but I can see how a glove would work better, will give it a go. The 'progression' from this was doing practice swings and ensuring the head cover went forward of my lead foot ie it was trapped in there until after impact. That seemed to keep my right elbow tight in to my torso.

Pete Iveson

• Administrator
Bit more spine tilt

Make sure it's because the hips are preset a little forward, not that you're actually tipping back your head.

About 2 hours of doing this today trying to get that right elbow down and in a bit. Mike (hope I've got your name right @mvmac ?) said about keeping a right arm pressure point more in front. The head cover tucked under there helps me to get some feedback for that. Seems to be working but will take a while before it's part of my natural swing.

Make sure you TURN as you do this. Arms won't do much, TURN as you do this.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/72433/my-swing-nosevi/36#post_1184344"] Bit more spine tilt [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/129854/] [/URL][/QUOTE] Make sure it's because the hips are preset a little forward, not that you're actually tipping back your head. [QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/72433/my-swing-nosevi/36#post_1184520"] About 2 hours of doing this today trying to get that right elbow down and in a bit. Mike (hope I've got your name right [@=/u/22889/mvmac]@mvmac[/@] ?) said about keeping a right arm pressure point more in front. The head cover tucked under there helps me to get some feedback for that. Seems to be working but will take a while before it's part of my natural swing. [/QUOTE] Make sure you TURN as you do this. Arms won't do much, TURN as you do this.

With the spin tilt, will do. I think I've got maybe 33% spine tilt and 66% head tilt making up the 'lean'. It's better than 0% and 0% but still more to go and yes, need to get that hip bumped a bit more, can see that. Making sure I turn yet don't push that elbow out, will do my best. I'm hoping that will come as I keep doing the drill. Right now it's restricting my movement because before I was sort of floundering about and I'm trying to tone it down and get it 'tighter'. Kind of hoping that as I keep that elbow a bit more under control it'll allow me to rotate with a bit more freedom without it getting behind me too much. Hope that makes sense?

Pete Iveson

Making sure I turn yet don't push that elbow out, will do my best. I'm hoping that will come as I keep doing the drill. Right now it's restricting my movement because before I was sort of floundering about and I'm trying to tone it down and get it 'tighter'. Kind of hoping that as I keep that elbow a bit more under control it'll allow me to rotate with a bit more freedom without it getting behind me too much. Hope that makes sense?

Turn while not pushing the hands out. Let the pivot carry them inward. The pressure points just "stay in place" as you turn.

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator
Turn while not pushing the hands out. Let the pivot carry them inward. The pressure points just "stay in place" as you turn.

This.

Don't just lift your arms less. Turn to "carry" your arms. The right elbow bends and that is all the "upward" movement you really need.

[QUOTE name="mvmac" url="/t/72433/my-swing-nosevi/36#post_1184727"]   Turn while not pushing the hands out. Let the pivot carry them inward. The pressure points just "stay in place" as you turn. [/QUOTE] This. Don't just lift your arms less. Turn to "carry" your arms. The right elbow bends and that is all the "upward" movement you really need.

Thanks guys, will work on it :-)

Pete Iveson

Note: This thread is 3072 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!