IGNORED

Greatest Playing Tips

Note: This thread is 3666 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My best playing tip was: Start playing regularly and get into a routine before you get married and have kids :) Because it's hard enough to continue but almost impossible to start at that start ;) I took the advice and just about got in in the nick of time!!!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I always consider OB left or right trouble as well. if you know a miss is right or a straight dead pull left. Then take a shorter club. I am not saying they have to for 2, what I am saying is advance it as far as possible with in reason. The myth that everyone thinks is, "Lay up to your favorite yardage". When in actuality that you have a better shot at getting the ball closer to the pin the closer you are to the green. There is no magical spike in percentage for hitting a full 9 iron compared to hitting a pitch shot. Not even on the pro level when they have their irons dialed in for distance.

I don't agree with the hit it as close as you can. Why not always try to lay up to the same yardage. I always try to go for 100 cause that's a perfect sw for me and that has really helped my game. I would personally rather have a 100 yard shot then a 20 yard pitch for the rough where I can't control the spin

• Administrator
I don't agree with the hit it as close as you can. Why not always try to lay up to the same yardage. I always try to go for 100 cause that's a perfect sw for me and that has really helped my game. I would personally rather have a 100 yard shot then a 20 yard pitch for the rough where I can't control the spin

Because you're wasting shots. No way you're better from 100 yards than 20 even if it's 100 fairway and 20 rough. Flat out no way unless you literally have a BAD case of chip yips. None.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Because you're wasting shots. No way you're better from 100 yards than 20 even if it's 100 fairway and 20 rough.

Flat out no way unless you literally have a BAD case of chip yips. None.

What % of the time does a 10 hcp even hit the green from 100 yds?  I could be wrong, but I'll bet it's not much over 50%.....maybe less.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

There' s plenty of times I'd rather lay back to say a full or 3/4 lob wedge(60-70 yds) than bust it up near the green and get a bad lie in the rough and have to pitch over a bunker or to a tight pin from 20 or 30-40 yards. It depends on how high the rough is and how firm and fast the greens are.

There' s plenty of times I'd rather lay back to say a full or 3/4 lob wedge(60-70 yds) than bust it up near the green and get a bad lie in the rough and have to pitch over a bunker or to a tight pin from 20 or 30-40 yards. It depends on how high the rough is and how firm and fast the greens are.

My thoughts exactly. I play on fast greens (as most of you would too) and bad lie there is no way I'm holding the green 100 yards I hit the green 90% of the time ( not always that close)

My thoughts exactly. I play on fast greens (as most of you would too) and bad lie there is no way I'm holding the green 100 yards I hit the green 90% of the time ( not always that close)

Congratulations on being a top performer on the PGA tour from 100 yards.

In David's bag....

• Administrator
:doh:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Maybe he aims for the center of the green ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

We have a little island green on a par 4 that usually leaves an 80 to 100 yard approach shot. In our groups I would guess an average of 35% to 50% that hit that green depending on the wind.

There are a few guys that would have a very high percentage but they are very, very good ball strikers.

The once in a while type golfers are usually going to hit 3 or 4 balls before they get one on the green.

Thanks I'm expecting my award in the mail soon. Also going to give some tips to tiger later

No need, Tiger was at 90.5% last year. Phil would probably appreciate some help though, he was only 84% hitting the green from 75-100 yds....

In David's bag....

No need, Tiger was at 90.5% last year.

Phil would probably appreciate some help though, he was only 84% hitting the green from 75-100 yds....

TPC sawgrass 17th green has a success rate of 89% over the past 10  years. That pays anywhere from 120-140 yards. Its listed as 137 yards.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

TPC sawgrass 17th green has a success rate of 89% over the past 10  years. That pays anywhere from 120-140 yards. Its listed as 137 yards.

I'm not sure how much difference it makes to those guys having a ball on a tee on a level tee box compared to shots from the fairway...But it would make a big difference for most golfers.

It's a HUGE green. Even I hit it 2 out of 3 times I played it. :banana: Here're the 2013 PGA tour stats.... http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.078.html#2013

In David's bag....

The only reason so many balls go in the water is because they are trying to put it in a 10 foot circle around the pin, and on Sunday 3 of those feet are in the water.

I never liked all the attention paid to this hole. The green is a circle. It's about 150 yards at most. The widest part of the circle is the middle. Pick a club that gives you 15-20 yards more carry than you need to reach the front edge and you'll certainly be dry. The pros know this, and yet they always manage to be idiots; not only will many of them go for a spot less than 12 feet from disaster, they will almost all spin the ball backwards uncontrollably which inevitably causes their 5. Last time I checked, spinning the ball backwards will only make it go towards the water; it will never stop your ball from going off the green but will almost always cause it. If they added 3 feet of rough to the edges I could understand playing it with spin, but for the love of God they put railroad ties everywhere.

My dad thinks this is the hardest hole in golf. I told him it was easy and I could virtually guarantee a 4 or better and he didn't believe me.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

It's a HUGE green. Even I hit it 2 out of 3 times I played it.

Here're the 2013 PGA tour stats....

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.078.html#2013

I banked it off the side of the bunker and it bounced into the water :cry:

Of course I had Sunday pin placement and 20 mph winds!!!!

the flag stick was actually bending sideways a big :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

[QUOTE name="David in FL" url="/t/72458/greatest-playing-tips/36#post_950638"] It's a HUGE green. Even I hit it 2 out of 3 times I played it. :banana: Here're the 2013 PGA tour stats.... [URL=http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.078.html#2013]http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.078.html#2013[/URL][/QUOTE] I banked it off the side of the bunker and it bounced into the water :cry: Of course I had Sunday pin placement and 20 mph winds!!!!  the flag stick was actually bending sideways a big :-D

I hit it pretty much every time I play it...........on Tiger Woods golf.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Note: This thread is 3666 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!