IGNORED

Wedge Decision

atb5079
Note: This thread is 3721 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Vokey or Cleveland 588? Need new sand an gap. Currently have the Cleveland CG15.

I'm just confused on the differences in the various Vokey and 588 wedges.

Cleveland has the 588 RTG and RTX

Titleist has the Vokey 200 series and SM4/5

Can anyone explain the differences in each respective type (if there really are any) and recommend which to pick from? I have done a lot of research but it seems a lot of contradictory opinions. Also, if it helps, i'm about a 15 handicap, decent bunker player, short game 100 yards in is definitely the strongest part of my game.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

I know this isn't the answer you are looking for but I think you would be better off getting fit for a set of Edel wedges. See the link to the Youtube video below. It has Mike Adams and David Edel explaining their new wedges and how they differ and standout from the other wedges on the market. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s57R9dM6H_M They use an 8 grind system with wedges ranging from 10-20 degrees of bounce! Most players don't use enough bounce on their wedges, and many manufacturers don't create wedges with that amount of bounce. They also created the wedge to have grooves that extend towards the toe of the club where most good pitch shots are struck (the ball rides up the face and towards the toe). With traditional wedges the toe is void of grooves to capture the spin on these shots. They also align the center of gravity with the center of the club and the sweet spot. This allows for shots struck dead center to fly more predictably. Normal wedges the center of gravity is towards the heel (the worst spot of the club to hit a shot. Sorry for not answering your question, but I would look into these a little before you make your decision. Ask Erik. I think he could vouch for how great these wedges are! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s57R9dM6H_M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here is a screen shot from the Vokey page on the new SM 5 wedges.  I grabbed just a small portion, but in all their offerings only one wedge had 14 degrees of bounce.  Many models had from 8-10 degrees which means that according to a five degree shaft lean and 5 degree angle of attack (referring to the youtube video above which would be the shallowest grind in the Edel system) you would be most likely playing the wrong wedge for your swing.

Thanks man. I feel like I've heard about these  before...i'll investigate

Just my humble opinion, but I use the CG15 in my sand and lob wedge and I love the lob wedge but I'm unsure how I like the SW. I find the Mizuno T4 wedges, however to beat the crap out of everything in the $130 or less range, though the Edels look nice and I'd probably bag them. If you like your irons I'd be sure to give their wedges a try because they feel amazing and spin plenty.

The newer clevelands struck me as a bit lame, I just don't like their sole grinds except my LW. Good spin but not as good overall as the Mizunos. I like the Vokey's sole grinds but the Mizuno grinds are about as good for the same price.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

These could also be an option:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/72292/check-out-the-synergy-wedges-62-96-for-a-short-time

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I've seen Mizuno wedges from a couple of models ago on sale "two for $100" at area golf shops. Don't know if there's anything you would like.

Vokey offers the most variety for a yeargroup of wedges: along with lots of loft and lie combos, Vokey features six different sole grinds.

Ads for the Cle 588 RTX talk about its ties to the CG15 - the heads look very similar.

Spring golf expos and demo days are coming up. Wedge hunting works best when you can hit them on turf in the sunshine. You might also get a wedge fitting on a lie/inpact board - see where on the sole your shot bottoms out - this helps you get right bounce and grind.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I am going to check out the Mizunos, because I absolutely love my Mizuno irons. Best clubs I have ever purchased hands down. I like the weight the CG15 wedges a lot. Never hit a Vokey, but it seems like the vast majority of posters on here and lots of pros an other good golf buddies I have, play Vokeys.

Just to throw a spanner in the works try out Mizuno wedges too. I absolutely love my MP R12's

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Which one type is gonna help me get it up? lol But really. I have a pretty low ball flight. I'm pretty accurate an good with control especially that 100yds in but never been the best with getting any irons or wedges high up in the air, respectively per club.

the things i've been told to take into consideration when buying wedges

where do you play most of your golf

does your golf course have alt of of tight lies

what kind of sand are the bunkers (loose or tight packed)

is the rough thick or just average grass

and so on

as far as a brand new i cant give you 1 but i would replace all the wedges so i had the same fell through out the set

if you can get fitted for your wedges and make sure to gap them correctly

• Upvote 1

like Capri said...

your area that you normally play in generally dictates what kind of bounce you should be playing....

I was like a complete newb when I first asked about bounce lol.....   Heck i didnt even know what those numbers ment either lol... till my brother explained it to me..

Since then i've switched out my clevelands for some Vokeys, and now have a 52-6 a 52-8, 56-12 and 60-4..   so it gives me a wide variety of play... usually i stick with my 52-8 and 56-12...

it's probably best to ask your local pga pro about what you should be playing for bounce... you could probably get away with just a 52 / 56 wedge or a 54-58 wedge...

It is what it is

Definitely speak with a professional. For years I assembled different wedge sets and went solely by loft. Now I am lucky enough to belong to a club where I play 80% of my golf and I was able to figure out the best set of wedges for my game based on both loft and bounce. I have a lot of shots off lush/wetter conditions and it was a consideration in what I purchased. I happen to love Vokey wedges. I went for a spread with my gap and sand wedges that favored those conditions, but still were service-able in other conditions. Also, take into account where you play because you might want to have a super high lob wedge. THIS year I am putting in a 64 degree wedge specifically to throw it higher on pitch and chip shots. I'm also insane about stats and reviewing what recent rounds are like, so I tinker with my overall setup. But so some analysis and see what works best. Also, what kind of shots you struggle with and what might help with those. This horribly long winter I am reviewing the Pelz wedge system which is three different shots with each wedge. If you have holes, use the loft on your wedges to help. Btw, doing it myself resulted in 60 degree wedge longer than my sand wedge and completely different styles of wedges that gave me trouble in nailing down distances. I think consistency is key with wedges, just like your iron set.

—Adam

Played with both types, started with the vokeys a couple of years back, recently got the new Cleveland 588. personally prefer the clevelands. Its very hard to tell the difference from a mid to high handicapper like myself, so i always go to see the club pro at my club before buying any type of club, even bags sometimes. What david and imsys said is definitely right. i usually have a 1 - 1.5 hour training session with the pro i am consulting and get some advice on which club would probably get me the best outcome. Hope this helped. goodluck.

Note: This thread is 3721 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!