IGNORED

Drill Video Recommendations for Erik and Mike

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3707 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@iacas is flying to San Diego today for our TST SoCal outing this Sunday. We'll have some free time on the range and have a couple videos in mind that we'd like to shoot.

In addition to those videos I wanted to start this thread to see if you guys had any questions about performing certain Keys or questions about the golf swing that we could answer through a 5SK video. If you do, then post in this thread and we'll try to make it happen.

Here is the list of current 5SK drill videos

http://purestrike5sk.com/videos.php

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is probably one of the videos you already are talking about, but since a lot of people don't read my thread, I'll post it here anyway:

Originally Posted by iacas

I started writing the thread, then realized I couldn't really finish it without any good examples.

Basically, consider how we measure "A6." We want the clubhead to be inside the hands (or online with the hands, or whatever). Yet what determines this? Yes, where the clubhead is, but also… where the hands are.

Let's take a look at these pictures:

In this picture, I've drawn a line down Grant and Tiger's lead arm. It connects their hand to their shoulder. Simple as that. It's just the base measurement.

Given that both players are going to strike the ball, this will be our "baseline" idea.

In this next picture, pretend both players pivot more by this point in their swings. This would put their lead shoulders where I've drawn new lines, and we'll pretend their hands stay in the same place. The measurement of their lead arm would change, though their swing may be pretty similar (in terms of club path, etc.).

But what if they swung the way they normally do, but swung their hands away from their bodies more? If they still want to hit the golf ball, they'd have to keep the clubhead tracking the same path, and it might look like this (arm, shaft, clubface leading edge):

And if they swung their hands closer to their bodies, something a bit like this:

In other words, if you swing your arms very vertically, the clubhead will almost surely "tip out" or get outside the hands because you look more like the last pictures, and because you still want to make contact with the golf ball, you need to send something "out" to the golf ball. So the club tips out. Otherwise you'd miss to the inside of the ball every time.

Or if you swing your hands way out, the clubhead will often look like it's well inside your hands because it has to stay in there, otherwise you'd swing right over the outside or top of the golf ball.

The simple takeaway is this: if you're struggling with A6 and the clubhead wants to tip out, take a look at how steep the angle of your lead arm is. You may need to feel like you're swinging your hands farther out away from your body (or out over the top of the golf ball or something) in order to make the club shaft lay down because you'll still want to make contact with the golf ball. If the club still tips out with your hands farther out away from you, you'd miss the ball.

I'll have to make a video eventually (pester me to do it when I'm with Mike in San Diego), but that's the gist of it.

Also, if you guys have anything that might help people struggling to hit the ball high, I could go for that too. :-P

Quote:

Also, if you guys have anything that might help people struggling to hit the ball high, I could go for that too. :-P

LOL, you beat me to it Drew. :-P Did not see your post before I submitted mine.

--------------------------------------------------------

How about a video relating to the keys or the setup, intended to help golfers who struggle getting enough height on their shots?  It seems like many people struggle with this, myself included, especially with longer irons.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Can key #1 lead  to reverse pivot and does key # 2 ,weight forward, mean weight forward from address position  throughout the entire swing?..and what percent forward?

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

And if they swung their hands closer to their bodies, something a bit like this:

In other words, if you swing your arms very vertically, the clubhead will almost surely "tip out" or get outside the hands because you look more like the last pictures, and because you still want to make contact with the golf ball, you need to send something "out" to the golf ball. So the club tips out. Otherwise you'd miss to the inside of the ball every time.

Or if you swing your hands way out, the clubhead will often look like it's well inside your hands because it has to stay in there, otherwise you'd swing right over the outside or top of the golf ball.

The simple takeaway is this: if you're struggling with A6 and the clubhead wants to tip out, take a look at how steep the angle of your lead arm is. You may need to feel like you're swinging your hands farther out away from your body (or out over the top of the golf ball or something) in order to make the club shaft lay down because you'll still want to make contact with the golf ball. If the club still tips out with your hands farther out away from you, you'd miss the ball.

I'll have to make a video eventually (pester me to do it when I'm with Mike in San Diego), but that's the gist of it.

I'd second what Golfingdad said. The above. When you swing more out, this that get hands more forward as well?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
Can key #1 lead  to reverse pivot and does key # 2 ,weight forward, mean weight forward from address position  throughout the entire swing?..and what percent forward?

Look around the site. Asked and answered many times over.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

For some stupid reason, instead of swinging in to out, I seem to cut across the ball and either pull it, or hit it off the toe. I noticed even on my short irons, the ball marks are toward the toe. 3 wood and driver totally sucks. I hit off mats, so if there's a good drill to help me Stop doing that, it would be most appreciated.

This is probably one of the videos you already are talking about, but since a lot of people don't read my thread, I'll post it here anyway:

Also, if you guys have anything that might help people struggling to hit the ball high, I could go for that too.

Yep that is one of the ones I had in mind but thanks for the reminder. Will do one for hitting the ball higher.

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

In case you guys didn't know, three of the four videos have been published

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/162#post_953583

Mike McLoughlin

LOL, you beat me to it Drew.    Did not see your post before I submitted mine.

--------------------------------------------------------

How about a video relating to the keys or the setup, intended to help golfers who struggle getting enough height on their shots?  It seems like many people struggle with this, myself included, especially with longer irons.

Me three!  This is what I am working on now, ball flight height and what Drew posted from Erik.  I recall a drill using a road cone to keep the head from going to far out.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3707 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!