IGNORED

Taylormade Project (a) Golf Balls

Note: This thread is 3145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You were selected to receive a free sleeve of our new Project (a) Golf Balls, the #1 Amateur Ball at the 2014 AT&T; Pebble Beach National Pro-Am.

You can expect them to arrive in the next 2-3 weeks. When you get them, we suggest that you take them out on course and test them from 30-60 yards. Notice how the ball reacts when it lands and you'll discover why Project (a) was the choice of 83 Amateurs in the AT&T; Pebble Beach National Pro-Am including the eventual winner.

We think you’ll be pleasantly surprised to see the extra spin you’ll be able to generate which will lead to closer proximity to the hole and hopefully lower scores! And you can get all of this without giving up the maximum distance you crave off the tee! We’d love to have your feedback! Be one of the first to review this new ball at http://taylormadegolf.com/balls/projecta.html - if you do, please note in your review that the balls were provided to you in connection with this promotion.

Thanks!
-TaylorMade Golf

That was the email I got today........looking forward to testing them.

Anyone get this?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I signed up, thinking sure why not give them shot, and got declined... Fine by me I'll stick to Titleist, who's had the same top-level ball for 15 years while TM is on 3? 4? in the last 5 years? TP Black, Penta, TP5, Back to tourpreferred?...

I got "selected" as well. Now too see if the balls get here before the snow melts, if so then there will be a slight delay in any review.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Is this supposed to replace the TP5/Penta? I didn't get that impression, more so that it's going to be the mid tier ball like the NXT to the ProV

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I signed up, thinking sure why not give them shot, and got declined... Fine by me I'll stick to Titleist, who's had the same top-level ball for 15 years while TM is on 3? 4? in the last 5 years? TP Black, Penta, TP5, Back to tourpreferred?...

I don't think that's a fair comment... just because Titleist hasn't changed the name of their top level ball doesn't mean that they haven't had just as many... They release a new one every other year, just like TM and Callaway, etc. TaylorMade just happens to have a new name each time.

Is this supposed to replace the TP5/Penta? I didn't get that impression, more so that it's going to be the mid tier ball like the NXT to the ProV

No. The Tour Preferred balls will replace the Lethal which was the replacement for the Penta and the TP5. The Project (a) essentially replaces their mid level urethane ball (the Rocketballz Urethane, TP3).

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I don't think that's a fair comment... just because Titleist hasn't changed the name of their top level ball doesn't mean that they haven't had just as many... They release a new one every other year, just like TM and Callaway, etc. TaylorMade just happens to have a new name each time.

No. The Tour Preferred balls will replace the Lethal which was the replacement for the Penta and the TP5. The Project (a) essentially replaces their mid level urethane ball (the Rocketballz Urethane, TP3).

Isn't that Taylormades MO really. They tend to go with a lot of different names. Titleist banks in on the same name. So it is just a different philosophy on business model really.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Yeah. Titleist seems to name things in a particular way whether that be 7xx irons, 9xx woods or the Pro V1 balls. I just didn't think it was fair to say "look at all the different balls TM has had while Titleist has only had one," when in reality they've had roughly the same number of balls but TM just uses new names.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I was just thinking the same thing- The "cachet" of a 'Pro V1' or V1X is plenty for them to get folks to buy them. And don't believe for a second they aren't a different ball EVERY YEAR. they just choose to stick with the recognition of the name. But Titlelist certainly has it's share of ball models that get confusing. It drove me nuts when I was playing the Callaway iX tour. Then it was gone.. changed the name to something else and never really could figure what replaced it. Dabbled with the Lethal and Rocketballz Urethanes and then spent most of last year playing the 3UP ball (and loving it).

According to Taylormade, as can be seen if you select the link I poted earlier.....

TaylorMade engineers have designed a radically new ball for competitive mid-handicappers who need more approach-shot spin. Project (a) is long off every club and feels great. Best, it helps you generate the extra spin you need to stop the ball closer to the hole, leaving you shorter putts to promote lower scores. Project (a)'s game-changing spin comes from SOFT TECH™. TaylorMade's new cast urethane cover that's specially formulated to be soft, durable, and very responsive.

This ball is for those with average swing speeds that want more stop 7 grab around the green.......cost is set at $31.99

According to Taylormade, as can be seen if you select the link I poted earlier.....

TaylorMade engineers have designed a radically new ball for competitive mid-handicappers who need more approach-shot spin. Project (a) is long off every club and feels great. Best, it helps you generate the extra spin you need to stop the ball closer to the hole, leaving you shorter putts to promote lower scores. Project (a)'s game-changing spin comes from SOFT TECH™. TaylorMade's new cast urethane cover that's specially formulated to be soft, durable, and very responsive.

This ball is for those with average swing speeds that want more stop 7 grab around the green.......cost is set at $31.99

The RBZ Urethane at the same price point did a fine job stopping the ball on full shots. It's the delicate, partial shots or shots out of the rough with a 56-60 that balls in this price range tend to be weak - they roll out more than your higher priced premiums.

Now Callaway seems to say we've made a ball for different speeds for longer distance and great premium spin on all shots. For $16 less, TM says its new cover makes a spin difference ... but on partials at that price range? That would be nice, but color me skeptical.

As to naming, Titleist has built the ProV1 as a separate brand - it has a life of its own, so it's best to keep the ProV1 Brand -- it's substantial and stands for "the best ball in golf" in many golfer's eyes.

TM has no such sub-brand. Its brand is TM -- so its strategy seems to be "we'll name the ball something new every year to show golfers it is new and improved. The TM brand will sell it."

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

As to naming, Titleist has built the ProV1 as a separate brand - it has a life of its own, so it's best to keep the ProV1 Brand -- it's substantial and stands for "the best ball in golf" in many golfer's eyes.

TM has no such sub-brand. Its brand is TM -- so its strategy seems to be "we'll name the ball something new every year to show golfers it is new and improved. The TM brand will sell it."

Yeah, ProV1 is definitely a brand on it's own and there is a good reason that Titleist sticks with it.

I get the feeling that TM is going to try to do the same thing with their Tour Preferred brand as they are bringing that back this year.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Yeah, ProV1 is definitely a brand on it's own and there is a good reason that Titleist sticks with it.

I get the feeling that TM is going to try to do the same thing with their Tour Preferred brand as they are bringing that back this year.

Agree -

I don't know the strategy of Callaway and TM as to getting away from the respective "Tour Authentic" and "Tour Preferred" lines. After all, TItleist doesn't have a Tour Preferred brand. Perhaps these brands did not want amateurs to think there was any difference between what a fitted amateur uses and what a fitted professional uses. The strategy is "this is your R1." No difference, just fitted differently.

Now TM is abandoning that idea...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 2 weeks later...
Got my sleeve of Project(a) balls in the mail today. Kind of neat that they are numbered 00. Now if the weather would break and the green grass would surface from below the sheets of ice I could give these balls a try.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

I was just thinking the same thing- The "cachet" of a 'Pro V1' or V1X is plenty for them to get folks to buy them. And don't believe for a second they aren't a different ball EVERY YEAR. they just choose to stick with the recognition of the name.

I actually think you've got it a little backwards.  Don't believe for a second that it's a "radical new ball design...."  Taylormade debuts the same ball every year with a new name, while Titleist sticks to the same name but slightly changes the box or the stamping.

Yes, it's a "different ball."  But it's not the revolution in golf ball design technology as the marketing would have you believe.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I actually think you've got it a little backwards.  Don't believe for a second that it's a "radical new ball design...."  Taylormade debuts the same ball every year with a new name, while Titleist sticks to the same name but slightly changes the box or the stamping. Yes, it's a "different ball."  But it's not the revolution in golf ball design technology as the marketing would have you believe.

Gods point k-troop, as a Titleist ball tester, I get a sleeve to test every October. It seems that they do change the design a bit every year, but they alternate years with the NXT & DT Solo one year then the ProV1 & ProV1x the next.

Note: This thread is 3145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!