IGNORED

does anyone still use a 2 iron?

Note: This thread is 3608 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2-iron? Why? No offense, but why play outdated technology? They have designed hybrids and fairways utility clubs that severely dwarf the performance of a 2-iron. They even have hybrids that can be adjusted for a lower penetrating trajectory.. Absolutely no need to a 2-iron, many would argue, no need for a 3-iron any longer..

Mostly because I don't like looking at hybrids and I like hitting long irons. I am much more accurate with long irons. They have also made great strides in technology in golf shoes too.....just saying...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lol! You don't need to justify hitting your clubs, aesthetics are important as you describe, but you will never, ever find someone agree that a 2-iron in 2014 performs like the advanced technology in today's clubs that achieve accuracy and distance along with higher ball flight and a cleaner strike from tougher lies... It's yours, play it, enjoy it! But sounds like you even know deep down, it's a disadvantage, even if the slightest...but hey 2-irons do look great!

2-iron? Why?

No offense, but why play outdated technology? They have designed hybrids and fairways utility clubs that severely dwarf the performance of a 2-iron. They even have hybrids that can be adjusted for a lower penetrating trajectory.. Absolutely no need to a 2-iron, many would argue, no need for a 3-iron any longer..

An opinion solidly endorsed by your witb contents and your avatar lol

Lol! You don't need to justify hitting your clubs, aesthetics are important as you describe, but you will never, ever find someone agree that a 2-iron in 2014 performs like the advanced technology in today's clubs that achieve accuracy and distance along with higher ball flight and a cleaner strike from tougher lies...

It's yours, play it, enjoy it! But sounds like you even know deep down, it's a disadvantage, even if the slightest...but hey 2-irons do look great!

I was just answering your question. Also if I thought the hybrid was an advantage, I would have kept it. I would hit a 7 wood over a hybrid. I could alternate the 4 wood and 2 iron but I just don't. I like the 2 iron enough to keep it in the bag.

I agree that they perform differently. Truth is with my next set, I will probably go back to the 4 wood unless I don't sell the 2 with the set.

A couple of my older sets have 1 and 2 irons, and when I play with those sets I usually use the 1 or 2 a couple of times per round. My 3 hybrid goes about as far and is easier to hit for me.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

A couple of my older sets have 1 and 2 irons, and when I play with those sets I usually use the 1 or 2 a couple of times per round. My 3 hybrid goes about as far and is easier to hit for me.

More importantly, how do you play without a 7 iron?

I think the only thing comparable between a hybrid and a 2 iron is the distance they may go. Different ball flights, one is more workable and the other more forgiving. When comparing the two clubs I think it comes down to the Indian, not the arrow.

I also think a 2 iron is a great club to practice ball striking with; given the amount of feedback it provides. In fact, I hit 100 2irons last night into the net before bed. My first two years of high school golf I carried a Mizuno tzoid pro II 1 iron that was an absolute screamer off the tee. Looking back though it was a wasted club in my bag when comparing the number of times I hit it vs the number of times I could have used a 60* wedge or maybe even a 5/7wood.

I have an old one that I use for practice swings and sometimes hit with it.  Even when I hit it decent (which is rare), it flies really low.  I can't see myself ever using it on the course for any reason.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Ha ha. I have recently become addicted to playing vintage clubs and scrounged clubs. The irons in the sig were bought for $20 bucks missing both the 6 and 7. I have played a couple of 9's with them paired with the Eye-2 woods that were gifted by a buddy that knows I like playing old stuff. I made it around by choking down on the 5 or ripping the 8, but there were a couple shots where I needed one in between. My distance is erratic enough that i probably don't need 2 in between; in other words hackers are better off hitting the longer club. I could have gone all Hogan on you I guess and said "There are no 7 iron shots at my home course" LOL

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 3608 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!