IGNORED

Bridgestone Golf Balls

Note: This thread is 3692 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was told earlier today that my game will significantly improve if I change my golf ball. I am a "bogey golfer" and I know what my problems are on the course. I am inconsistent with my short game when it comes to chipping around the green from a 10-20 yard distance and its because I cant get my ball to stop and it rolls too far. I tried the ProV1 but it didn't seem to make a huge difference. Another issue I have on occasion is a slice of:bridgestone:f the tee. I have a natural draw to the ball which I like and i've learned how to play with it. However, due to a poor swing I end up getting a huge slice from time to time. What im getting at is that i played with a "pro" today who has played on a mini tour and told me to check out the Bridgestone line of golf balls and more than likely the E6 will fit my needs. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to equipment and any input i can get will be greatly appreciated. I need help with the occasional slice and help with getting backspin around the greens. My club head speed is 98mph if that makes a difference? Thank you.

What's your question?

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Do golf balls really make a big difference? I know the softer the ball is the better around the greens it will be but for total overall game will a specific ball improve your round?

Bridgestone balls are really good, in fact I'd say they're the only manufacturer that doesn't make a ball I dislike. You certainly can't go wrong in terms of quality, and their value is excellent compared to other balls in the 25-50$ range. I think you can do a bit better if you're looking to go cheap but their E series is around 25$/dozen and all 3 models are awesome for that price range.

In terms of a ball affecting your game, it can. Most players have a personal preference for what they want their ball to do and skilled players can certainly notice a difference between models on various shots, though it's not always a major one. For the most part, the balls they play on tour such as the ProV1 and Bridgestone B330 series have the best attributes in terms of spin control and distance. They may be balanced differently such as the B330 and B330S, with the former spinning less and feeling firmer, which is a typical lineup for manufacturers (Titleist ProV1X and ProV1, Nike 20XIX and 20XIS, etc.) because some players have different needs and preferences.

For those who can't afford 40$ a dozen or more, you have to compromise on one or more aspects of performance to some extent. For example, a Top Flite or Pinnacle Gold will go about as far as anything, even a bit farther than tour balls, but they aren't great with anything except a driver. As far as softness and spin, which are buzz words that get thrown around a lot, the only thing you need to know is that a urethane cover is the most important feature on a ball if you want spin. I don't care what the manufacturers say, the ball can be as soft as a marshmallow but if it has a surlyn cover or ionomer cover and they don't specifically say urethane, it won't spin much. It might still be a good ball but anything inside of about 80 yards will be tough to stop on landing without urethane. Surlyn is cheaper and more resistant to damage but you can find discontinued older models or balls like the E5 that have urethane covers for an affordable price.

In terms of the Bridgestone E series, which I'd recommend, I think the E5 is the best of them overall, with the E6 in second. The E7 is more of a distance ball which is decent overall, but there are cheaper options for that kind of ball. The E5 has a urethane cover much like the tour balls, which gives it much better greenside spin than anything with a different cover material. I wouldn't rank it quite with the tour balls in terms of spin, but it's close enough to play the same kinds of shots if you have the skill. In terms of distance it's respectable, and I like it off the irons in terms of feel. The E6 is designed to spin less off the driver, which is almost always a good thing in terms of distance, but it should also curve a bit less which helps keep it in play. It will stop with irons and wedges but it pays the price on short pitches; you can play some short game shots with it but it doesn't have the same bite as a urethane ball so it rolls out more. It does feel soft but feeling soft has nothing to do with spin even though the two are used interchangeably.

If you want to pay a bit more, the Bridgestone RX and RXS are designed to mimic the tour balls in terms of performance, including having urethane covers, but they are designed for guys like yourself with swing speeds under 105mph. I haven't used the newest models but they were certainly great in the short game. For me, if I were to pay for a tour quality ball I wouldn't pick the RX but with a lower swing speed I would consider them. The RX is firmer and slightly longer and the RXS is softer and a little more spinny.

I have a swing speed well above 105 so I fit into the tour models better than the RX line. Of those I like the B330 but the B330s is good in its own way. I haven't gotten to hit the newest ones though. Unless you hit it a mile you may not like them as well as the RX ones.

That said, picking a ball is a personal and sometimes cost driven decision so it's up to you to try things out and see what you like. No ball will affect your shot shape in terms of turning a draw into a slice though. That one's all on you, buddy.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why don't you just play for the roll out?

Assuming this is directed at me, I can control my carry distance pretty well, but I have no control over the slope or speed of the greens.

I like when my ball stops dead with all my clubs up to the long irons without having to do anything, and the ball I choose makes a difference. Spinning the ball backwards is nice but not helpful to me, and I don't usually play a shot with extra check unless I can't do it with a more neutral shot. Sometimes if you short side yourself or you need to hit out of or over a bunker you can't keep it near the hole without some spin. Using a urethane ball prepares me for this situation better than other balls and it gives me a bigger area to land it with a makeable putt. My best shot with a surlyn ball would involve hitting the flagstick or bouncing it in the rough to slow it down.

I could adjust to a different ball and I'm not suggesting everyone should play high spin shots around the greens all the time; but you flat out can't hit some of the shots without the right ball. And for 20$ a dozen I can happily play a tour urethane ball from last year so why would I pay the same amount for a surlyn ball?

In My Bag:

Wow thank you for your well though out and descriptive answer, thats exactly what i've been wanting to know. I will be playing tomorrow at 1040am pacific time and im heading out to pick up my E5 balls. I have been asking for the longest time about different balls as far as what is the difference between them all and the same answer I get is always ProV1 but with no reasoning as to why. I went to the range today and im hoping I break 80 tomorrow since its 75 degrees in the bay area so conditions are perfect! I will keep everyone informed on how they work for me and my buddy is getting the E6 balls to see in comparison how they perform with our playing ability (He's a 10 handicap) Once again I thank you for the answers you've not only helped me better understand more but also whoever else reads this thread.

I like the E5 a lot but the E6 are a great ball for the long game. Plus they come in yellow if you're into that. Be sure to try them out. Other than that, try to have a good round because we northeastern golfers have at least a week with nothing better to do than post on a golf forum.

In My Bag:

Thanks and i'll be sure to play for everyone back east. I've heard the weather was awful and I feel for you. Hopefully my new Callaway driver that I seemed to absolutely crush with today does the same for me tomorrow.

[QUOTE name="Valleygolfer" url="/t/72569/bridgestone-golf-balls#post_951622"] Why don't you just play for the roll out?[/QUOTE] Assuming this is directed at me, I can control my carry distance pretty well, but I have no control over the slope or speed of the greens.  I like when my ball stops dead with all my clubs up to the long irons without having to do anything, and the ball I choose makes a difference. Spinning the ball backwards is nice but not helpful to me, and I don't usually play a shot with extra check unless I can't do it with a more neutral shot. Sometimes if you short side yourself or you need to hit out of or over a bunker you can't keep it near the hole without some spin. Using a urethane ball prepares me for this situation better than other balls and it gives me a bigger area to land it with a makeable putt. My best shot with a surlyn ball would involve hitting the flagstick or bouncing it in the rough to slow it down. I could adjust to a different ball and I'm not suggesting everyone should play high spin shots around the greens all the time; but you flat out can't hit some of the shots without the right ball. And for 20$ a dozen I can happily play a tour urethane ball from last year so why would I pay the same amount for a surlyn ball?

Actually it was for the op. He stated he could not get the ball to check up. Checking up is not about the ball since using the V1 did not help. It is probably technique. Many good golfers who run the ball with out needing to stop it with spin.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I dont dispute that at all. However I need all the help I can get and being told and seeing certain balls check up more than others is the reason I asked. Living in northern California the greens are extremely fast and very hilly so no matter what your handicap is you need every advantage possible.

Play the same ball and you have a chance at improving consistency of your short game faster. Our swings have plenty of variation from one swing to the next swing. Still, why introduce a planned variable by switching balls? Balls do react differently from one another, even for hackers like us. So, playing the same ball for extended periods allows us to predict how the ball will react. Most hackers notice this more around and on the greens since our swings are more consistent the shorter the stroke.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Ok that makes sense. Thank you for the input the more knowledge the better especially for me, the hacker! Once I get my short game to improve I will shave 7 or 8 strokes off my game easily. I also wonder if wedges make a difference? I know pros use the Vokey 60 degree or different variances of that sort. I use Cleveland wedges but off the top of my head I cant remember the exact specs. All in all I just need to work more and eventually I'll get it right.

We are all hackers when it comes to repeatable swings. As for wedges, any new wedges will have fresh grooves which should aid in consistent results and more spin than old worn grooves.

Likely you will play a hit and roll game rather than a hit and stop game. Yes, the ball matters, and the club, but it is really about our strokes that have us not zipping the ball back on short shots. Learn to play the swing you have and start getting a feel for distance control -- with roll -- and you'll drop those strokes.

Although you are the Thread Starter, you are getting into thread creep by asking about 60* wedges. Do a search and you'll find lots of opinions on this forum about who and when regarding 60* wedges.

I played the e5 a lot last year and I like it a lot. For me how a ball feels off the putter is very important and the e5 feels good. It spins but not as much as a proV which is all that bad. It can save you on a miss hit with the driver.

I have a handicap of 19 and have been playing Maxfli U2's for $20/dozen but got them 1/2 price just before christmas...They are a 2 piece with Urethane cover. Good distance with the ability to stop on the green.

I also have been playing the Bridgestone e6 which provides for straight drives and reasonable stopping on soft greens. I shot a 77 with these two weeks ago on a short course (5,700 yds)

I tried the Bridgestone B330RX & B330RXS this weekend.....Still great distance and very straight.  This put me in the fairway so I had a chance at the greens.

I will probably go back to the Maxfli's U2, U3 or U4 as they are 2, 3 & 4 piece balls with Urethane covers and can usually be had for a very decent price.

I hope this helps.

Rusty- Sorry i'm extremely new and have no idea how this site works lol. Thank you for your explanation on the topics they are the answers I was looking for. I shot a 87 today on a 6,980 yard course and played the E6. The ball felt amazing especially with the putter and the ball didnt roll for miles off the green and so I think i've found my ball, for now. Jakester- I played the E6 as stated above and it felt great and im curious to see how the E5 will feel since it's "softer" and you're right about helping when it comes to driving. I occasionally will hit a wicked slice or draw the ball too much and I had no issue with that today. Fozcycle- Thanks for your input I appreciate it and i'll have to remeber that. For now i'm in love with the E6 after my round today but i'm sure after a bad round i'll blame the ball and switch lol.

I like the e6 but it felt to hard on and around the greens for me. It a good ball but I think there is a.noticeable difference between the e5 and e6.

Note: This thread is 3692 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!