IGNORED

Would golf instruction be better if...

tristanhilton85
Note: This thread is 3688 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Would golf instruction be better off if tour pros never talked about the swing and what they think/feel they are doing?

• Yes
    • No

Sure but what works for you may not for others. I never even came close to any varsity team in high school let alone a scholarship to college so we're already talking two different levels of athleticism.

Online instruction and cheaper cameras make instruction more than ever available to more people now.

I agree, thats why im saying you have to take whats in front of you, try it out and see if it works. If it dosent, your out nothing but a little bit of time and no worse off than you were before. If you can afford lessons, by all means go for it, I think that its awesome that our sport has instructors to help everyday joes like us instead of having to be a high caliber athlete. And, I don't think you have to be a seasoned athlete to take the route of trial and error, just have to be willing to accept that some things wont work for you and be able to erase it from memory, which I am able to do. I hope that one day (when the FD starts paying a little better, lol) I'll be able to take formal lessons but for the right now, all I am able to see is "McLessons" and thats what I have to learn from.

I agree, thats why im saying you have to take whats in front of you, try it out and see if it works. If it dosent, your out nothing but a little bit of time and no worse off than you were before. If you can afford lessons, by all means go for it, I think that its awesome that our sport has instructors to help everyday joes like us instead of having to be a high caliber athlete. And, I don't think you have to be a seasoned athlete to take the route of trial and error, just have to be willing to accept that some things wont work for you and be able to erase it from memory, which I am able to do. I hope that one day (when the FD starts paying a little better, lol) I'll be able to take formal lessons but for the right now, all I am able to see is "McLessons" and thats what I have to learn from.

I did the trial and error way, for years and never improved as much as I wanted to. And it was a waste of my time. Had I known what I know now, would have saved a ton of time, money and aggravation.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I did the trial and error way, for years and never improved as much as I wanted to. And it was a waste of my time. Had I known what I know now, would have saved a ton of time, money and aggravation.

Im sorry to hear that, its worked for me and im thankful for that

The reason that pro's swings are often used for comparison is because they have the best swings out there. Using a program like Analyzr you can see exactly what they are actually doing; however, often times the pros themselves don't have a clue what they are doing and/or feel like they are doing something that they aren't. The problem is when they say I do XYZ when they don't and people assume that they do.

Yes the point of using pros to compare against is to use them as an example of a certain piece, not a model for a swing.

Thinking some more about it some touring pros have become decent teachers Grant Waite and Mac O'Grady come to mind. But you could argue that their advice was not as valuable until after they finished touring.

Yeah some of the best instructors of all time, even now, have had plenty of experience playing professionally. The thread isn't dealing with guys like Grant Waite and @david_wedzik , it's dealing with playing professionals giving advice on swing technique.

IMO I think when a golfer starts out they should listen and TRY all the different techniques.  Once they find one that is good (judging by scores and their instructor) then they should stop listening to quick fixes, tour pro's feel ect. and focus on their own swing that works for them

Respectfully disagree, think that would be the worst advice, to try every single swing theory out there. Especially since "trying" doesn't always mean "doing" and many swing theories are based on feels, not fact.

Identify the priority piece and make it better, whether your Tiger Woods or a 25 handicap.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I voted yes, because as a beginner, it is so tough to find good instruction when you don't know anything about the golf swing. I feel like for a lot of people who decide it's time to get better, they don't just come straight to TST and start working on 5SK drills--rather, they might spend six months or longer (like this guy) digging through a lot of garbage and trying quick fixes, which often times can come from pros on TV/internet, especially when you are seeking free advice. I know I tried lots of pro advice, with nothing sticking, and it took a long time for me to realize how good the instruction was on this site because I was (and still am) so ignorant of the golf swing.

I voted no as I find it useful to hear what the pros feel they are doing.  But I recognize that that isn't always what they do if you watch them swing.  I have also recently discovered that is true with me also by watching video of myself swinging a club.  But in the process of trying to correct my "swing fault" I have found that I need to sometimes "feel" something other than what my real actions are.  I suspect there is a real Vs. feel gap with all of us, but knowing how the pros feel their swing is useful.

Butch

Respectfully disagree, think that would be the worst advice, to try every single swing theory out there. Especially since "trying" doesn't always mean "doing" and many swing theories are based on feels, not fact.

Identify the priority piece and make it better, whether your Tiger Woods or a 25 handicap.

I think an analogy is a big complicated maze. You make turns, get to a dead end, go back, try another way, repeat. Eventually, you figure away out of the maze, right? But wait, analogy's not done. The maze changes with time. Good luck getting out.  A really good instructor has an overhead view, tells you where to turn. You get a little frustrated as it takes so long to get out, but eventually you do. Not so good instructors have a partial view, you get further quicker than you normally would, but you still can't get out.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I voted no as I find it useful to hear what the pros feel they are doing.  But I recognize that that isn't always what they do if you watch them swing.

That's good and you might be in the minority of golfers. I also like hearing from pros, I just find it interesting. Problem is, the talking heads, golf magazines, make the leap from Mickelson saying he's feeling like his rear leg doesn't lose flex to: "Phil won because he didn't lose any flex in his trail leg and that's what you should do for power and accuracy".

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

That's good and you might be in the minority of golfers. I also like hearing from pros, I just find it interesting. Problem is, the talking heads, golf magazines, make the leap from Mickelson saying he's feeling like his rear leg doesn't lose flex to: "Phil won because he didn't lose any flex in his trail leg and that's what you should do for power and accuracy".

Agree.  That was my point earlier about how their comments are edited by writers and commentators who seem to be lacking in knowledge.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Yes that it.   It is a big leap from saying Phil doesn't flex his rear leg during the swing to saying that is why Phil won.  You win because you managed a lower score than the field (or opponent in match play) and that involves a whole lot more than whether you flex your rear leg during the swing or not.

Butch

Note: This thread is 3688 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!