IGNORED

My Swing (Smoothy)

Smoothy
Note: This thread is 3691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 2 seasons

My current handicap index or average score is:4.0

My typical ball flight is: High

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Too much draw

Hi there!

Thought I should try to escape some of this winter time by posting some swings here. One driver and one 5i swing, the clips are taken in St Lucie, Pga Training Center. About 2 months ago.
Brief summary about me: I have played for 2 years now and I live, eat, breath golf.
I practice a ton, more or less lived on the course for the last 2 seasons, when the frost came(Sweden) I've tried to escape to warmer climates to the best of my ability.
Went down to a Index of 6.7 my first season and broke par my second. This year Im trying to play well in the undertour in Sweden. Hopefully being able to play the qualifer in the end of this year.
Changed pro, whom really loves golf and I believe in him very much. His fire has given me even more motivation.
This winter Ive started to workout a golfspecific regimen and also stretch 45 min, 5 days a week. Which hopefully will make gain a few yards and help me to do my practice without fatiguing.

I work on a lot of different things right now, but Im focusing on my takeaway and getting my arms steeper relative to my shoulder plane. There´s a ton more stuff, but I believe in fixing flaws in sequence. This is taken from a 8h practice session, so its definitely my "unconscious"/old swing. However I hit the ball like magic this whole session.

Appreciate all feedback or if you have any questions.

Sincerly
Smoothy

Videos:

Driver - DTL   and  5 iron - Caddie View

Looks major league to me.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

First, invest in a camera that does at least 60 fps, 120 fps is helpful. Its is extremely difficult to see what your clubs is doing. It will help out with self analysis. I have a Casio that does 120 fps, and it works great.

At first glance it looks solid. At this point you are probably nit picking a bit here and there, but that is the nature of a golf swing when you play a single digit handicap.

Firstly, you overswing a TON. I can see your clubhead for the driver past your head at the top. Probably been told that all your life. I'm the same way.

Rory on the left, you on the right. It looks like you are getting a bit stuck there. Probably the reason you fight a hook. Honestly Rory might not be the best to visualize this because he suffers the same problem with getting TOO inside (his hook shot on number 10 at the Masters a few years ago). As you can see you are even more stuck than he can get.Notice at how much your right foot is already off the ground. Classic sign of a person who gets TOO quick extension in the front leg. Rory's front leg is still a bit bent at impact, your's is straight. See how you can't see a gap in his legs, and we can see one in yours. Need to bank onto the inside of the right foot, get a proper weight shift with the lower body. Try to keep a bit more pressure under your left heel going into impact, let your arms catch up with your body. You got some serious leg action, and might be too quick.

Ok backswing,  you are a bit inside. Pretty good though, but the clubhead gets a bit too inside. This can cause you to get stuck, or for some to develop and over the top move. Maybe feel a bit more pressure of the left arm against your chest, and a little less forearm rotation. I like feeling like the butt end of the club is going to hit my right thigh. You can see his clubhead is inline with his hands, yours is near your back right hip.

Ok, the face on view. Set up is a bit too far back. your left hand should be near the inside of your right thigh. The ball should be about 2 ball widths foward, so right were that white mark is on the alignment stick. Also a freebie is flare the feet slightly more. Helps with hip turn and getting the weight forward.

Here's kinda cool little drill to help with weight shift, and how the feet work in the swing. Help you stop spinning out. The right foot needs to bank more and spin less. Also another good sensation is to feel like you are squishing something under your left heel going into impact.

I really like this drill below, helps me out a lot with my backswing

Hope this helps out, welcome to the forum!!!!

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looks major league to me.

Thanks.

First, invest in a camera that does at least 60 fps, 120 fps is helpful. Its is extremely difficult to see what your clubs is doing. It will help out with self analysis. I have a Casio that does 120 fps, and it works great.

At first glance it looks solid. At this point you are probably nit picking a bit here and there, but that is the nature of a golf swing when you play a single digit handicap.

Firstly, you overswing a TON. I can see your clubhead for the driver past your head at the top. Probably been told that all your life. I'm the same way.

Rory on the left, you on the right. It looks like you are getting a bit stuck there. Probably the reason you fight a hook. Honestly Rory might not be the best to visualize this because he suffers the same problem with getting TOO inside (his hook shot on number 10 at the Masters a few years ago). As you can see you are even more stuck than he can get.Notice at how much your right foot is already off the ground. Classic sign of a person who gets TOO quick extension in the front leg. Rory's front leg is still a bit bent at impact, your's is straight. See how you can't see a gap in his legs, and we can see one in yours. Need to bank onto the inside of the right foot, get a proper weight shift with the lower body. Try to keep a bit more pressure under your left heel going into impact, let your arms catch up with your body. You got some serious leg action, and might be too quick.

Ok backswing,  you are a bit inside. Pretty good though, but the clubhead gets a bit too inside. This can cause you to get stuck, or for some to develop and over the top move. Maybe feel a bit more pressure of the left arm against your chest, and a little less forearm rotation. I like feeling like the butt end of the club is going to hit my right thigh. You can see his clubhead is inline with his hands, yours is near your back right hip.

Ok, the face on view. Set up is a bit too far back. your left hand should be near the inside of your right thigh. The ball should be about 2 ball widths foward, so right were that white mark is on the alignment stick. Also a freebie is flare the feet slightly more. Helps with hip turn and getting the weight forward.

Here's kinda cool little drill to help with weight shift, and how the feet work in the swing. Help you stop spinning out. The right foot needs to bank more and spin less. Also another good sensation is to feel like you are squishing something under your left heel going into impact.

I really like this drill below, helps me out a lot with my backswing

Hope this helps out, welcome to the forum!!!!

Wow, pretty thorough stuff. Didn't expect that, thank you. You gave a pretty good overview of the faults ive seen and that teachers have told me.
The getting "stuck", is a big part of what I'm working on right now. Getting the takeaway on plane and at the top getting the right elbow pointing straight down, which makes it easier to get that elbow in front of the chest on the way down.

The drills can be useful, gonna put them in my memory bank. Season starts in 5-6 weeks hopefully.

Thanks.

Wow, pretty thorough stuff. Didn't expect that, thank you. You gave a pretty good overview of the faults ive seen and that teachers have told me.

The getting "stuck", is a big part of what I'm working on right now. Getting the takeaway on plane and at the top getting the right elbow pointing straight down, which makes it easier to get that elbow in front of the chest on the way down.

The drills can be useful, gonna put them in my memory bank. Season starts in 5-6 weeks hopefully.

Yea, trail elbow helps control the swing path in the downswing. A good sensation might be to FEEL like your hands drop before your hips move in the backswing. It wont happen, but you have been flying those hips out so long that it will help get the arms dropped sooner in the transition.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!