IGNORED

Cupped wrist confusion

Note: This thread is 3713 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have noticed my wrist is slightly cupped at the top of backswing. But when I muck around with grips and change my normally strong grip to a more neutral grip my wrist goes flat at the top. Just wondering is my grip too strong? I changed to this strong grip to stop the slice but now wondering if i should go to a more neutral grip or just keep it strong and not worry about the slightly cupped wrist?

Again confusion with grips and the top of the backswing. If you give yourself a strong grip, you are adding a cup to the left hand because it has to bend a bit more to both get over and ontop of the club. So, I wouldn't worry about seeing a very straight left wrist at the top of the swing with a stronger grip.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Again confusion with grips and the top of the backswing. If you give yourself a strong grip, you are adding a cup to the left hand because it has to bend a bit more to both get over and ontop of the club. So, I wouldn't worry about seeing a very straight left wrist at the top of the swing with a stronger grip.

Thanks for clearing that up nice and fasstttt :)

I have noticed my wrist is slightly cupped at the top of backswing. But when I muck around with grips and change my normally strong grip to a more neutral grip my wrist goes flat at the top. Just wondering is my grip too strong? I changed to this strong grip to stop the slice but now wondering if i should go to a more neutral grip or just keep it strong and not worry about the slightly cupped wrist?

Don't take this the wrong way but you are bouncing off of different things like an animal trying to get out of a cage. You may or may not need a stronger or weaker grip.

Why not work on not turning your shoulders level like @mvmac suggested and not move on to other things until you fix the first thing? Lots of other things end up taking care of themselves.

Don't take this the wrong way but you are bouncing off of different things like an animal trying to get out of a cage. You may or may not need a stronger or weaker grip.

Why not work on not turning your shoulders level like @mvmac suggested and not move on to other things until you fix the first thing? Lots of other things end up taking care of themselves.

This is really a question on grip and just wondering on the relevance between it and the wrist. Not anything that is to hard to change or deep to delve into imo

This is really a question on grip and just wondering on the relevance between it and the wrist. Not anything that is to hard to change or deep to delve into imo

I am skeptical but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I know a lot of people see the wrist position or what the clubhead at the top of the swing should be and that it means something when it doesn't. There are a lot of factors that come into play for that position.

Now don't get me wrong, a cupped wrist at the top with a strong grip is not right or wrong. Look at Dustin Johnson. Strong grip, extremely BOWED left hand at the top. Look at Hogan weak/neutral grip and CUPPED at the top. So, the moral of this story, as long as it isn't F'ing up your swing, don't change it. Some positions might get you in a better position to do what you want. So you can nit pick, but heck we all see Jim Furyk's swing right? :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mackingchicken.....there are some top players with strong grips and many more with neutral ones.There are flat wrists and a few (not many)bowed wrists at the top.What you want to do is understand the grip is two hands not one and that the wrists at address are not in the same position as they are at impact.

btw...do you still have that 60* shoulder turn what the top?

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

Don't worry about what it looks the wrist looks like at the top Dustin Johnson (bent/bow) wrist at the top. Fred Couples (cup) wrist at the top. IT DOESNT MATTER. What ever gives you better ballstriking

Note: This thread is 3713 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!