IGNORED

Pebble Beach Trip

Philly+15
Note: This thread is 1126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My father is 65 and just retired a couple Fridays' ago.  As a combined 65th and retirement gift my brother and I have decided to take him to Pebble.  I could use some advice, suggestions, etc....  None of us have ever been there and want to make the trip as memorable as possible for all of us!  Thanks in advance!

IN MY 

2014 :titleist: Lightweight Cart BAG:

DRIVER: :titleist: 913D2
3&5 Wood:  :titleist: 913F

HYBRIDS: :ping: G20 20* 
IRONS: :tmade: 09 Burners 4-PW
WEDGES: :vokey: 52 & 56*

PUTTER: :ping: 

HAHA, Thanks , But the whole "keep em straight" is gonna be pretty tough!!  Any suggestions on places to stay, eat, etc??

IN MY 

+1 on walking the course, assuming you believe your father is capable of walking 18 without it being stressful on him. I've never been to Pebble, but am a strong believer that courses like that can only be appreciated in their full beauty from on foot. However, if it is going to make the round less enjoyable for him to walk then don't.

Can't imagine how cool that is going to be for you guys. Experience of a lifetime.

• Upvote 1

1.  It is very difficult to play Pebble and not stay at the resort.  Better check on the availability of tee times.  I suspect you will need to book a room for a night at either the Inn at Spanish Bay or the Pebble Beach Lodge.  Rates per night are pretty steep and will double the cost of the already costly round.

2. Walk the course and buy the services of a caddy for your father.  You definitely do not want to take a cart as it is always "cart path only."  The course is not extremely hilly and it is very walkable.  There are some slopes to negotiate but it is not mountainous.

3. The best months tend to be in Autumn or late Summer.  September is considered the best month.  If you play in the Spring or early Summer there can be dense fog and very cool temperatures.

A very thoughtful and cool gift for your Dad.  Be ready to spend a lot of $$.

• Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1.  It is very difficult to play Pebble and not stay at the resort.  Better check on the availability of tee times.  I suspect you will need to book a room for a night at either the Inn at Spanish Bay or the Pebble Beach Lodge.  Rates per night are pretty steep and will double the cost of the already costly round.

2. Walk the course and buy the services of a caddy for your father.  You definitely do not want to take a cart as it is always "cart path only."  The course is not extremely hilly and it is very walkable.  There are some slopes to negotiate but it is not mountainous.

3. The best months tend to be in Autumn or late Summer.  September is considered the best month.  If you play in the Spring or early Summer there can be dense fog and very cool temperatures.

A very thoughtful and cool gift for your Dad.  Be ready to spend a lot of $$.

Sounds like @bkuehn1952 has been there before so heed this advice!

I only know secondhand, as my dad and father-in-law went last year.  A couple of tidbits I got:

1. Second what bkuehn said about staying at the resort.  I don't think you can book tee times in advance otherwise.

2. Walking with a caddy is the way I plan to do it as well if I ever get the opportunity.  If you do choose to go with carts, get a forecaddie.  The way they explained it to me is that the marshals are very, very diligent about making sure pace is moving and the groups who choose to go out on their own are the ones who get watched like hawks.  He said that they warned him that they will not hesitate to make you skip a hole if they have to.  Maybe an empty threat, but not a chance you want to take the one time you play Pebble.  All the more reason to get a caddy of some kind.

3. They went in March last year and there were decent package deals available.  Don't know how it compares to autumn though.

Yeah, don't worry about the money.  This is something that you'll all cherish forever.  Make it worthwhile!!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the info guys. I was planning staying the resort, but took a shot thinking someone may have known a better option. We are expecting to spend about 10g for the three of us, our plan is to go in early October. Dad is a cancer survivor and the bigC really did a number on him physically, but I'm sure he'd want to walk as much of the course as possible. We plan to play three rounds in the area while there. Which other two courses would you guys recommend?

IN MY 

Will absolutely take a ton of pictures and post them.

IN MY 

I would just stay on the peninsula and play Spyglass and Spanish Bay. If you wanted to save a few bucks one day and still hang out by the water, play Pacific Grove. FYI, I'm speaking of courses that are all on my wish list ... Not as somebody who has any experience playing them.

I would just stay on the peninsula and play Spyglass and Spanish Bay. If you wanted to save a few bucks one day and still hang out by the water, play Pacific Grove. FYI, I'm speaking of courses that are all on my wish list ... Not as somebody who has any experience playing them.

Pacific Grove is a great value for somewhere around $60 you get the entire back nine on the Monterey Bay. The front is still nice but winds through a housing development. I played PG once and cant wait to go back. But as far as the hotel if you're playing Pebble I would stay somewhere near the wharf to save a few bucks any way I can.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I have heard Pacific Grove called "the poor man's Pebble Beach".  I have not played there but based on the description it might be a nice change of pace.  I have played the Links at Spanish Bay.  I think the course is beautiful but relentlessly difficult for anyone but a very straight-hitting, low single digit handicap.  It will likely be a long punishing day.  Spyglass is also very difficult but I found it more playable than Spanish Bay.  It is almost as expensive as Pebble, too.  The only other course with which I am familiar is Del Monte.  It is a nice, comparatively more playable inland course.  Don't know the cost but it likely is a tad over-priced since it is part of the Pebble Beach Company lineup.

Brian Kuehn

I have played the Links at Spanish Bay.  I think the course is beautiful but relentlessly difficult for anyone but a very straight-hitting, low single digit handicap.  It will likely be a long punishing day.  Spyglass is also very difficult but I found it more playable than Spanish Bay.

This is very consistent with the experience that my dad and F-I-L had last year.  They enjoyed Spanish Bay and said it was beautiful, but it was for them the hardest day of the three.

They attributed it, at least partway, to it being the only day they decided to forego the forecaddie and try to go it alone.

All this talk of Pebble (and friends) really has me itching to get out there soon!

-----------------------------------------------

The only course I have played in the area is Laguna Seca, and it was fun, but considering all of the closer options, it's not worth the drive.

Oh, duh ... nobody has mentioned another awesome pair of courses to consider for the third round: Bayonet or Blackhorse.

• Upvote 1

Thank you all so much. Keep the info coming, please!!

IN MY 

I lived 5 miles from PB.. the weather can be crazy.. but you'll never really have to worry.. its always 50-75 all year long.

Places to eat.. most anywhere on Cannery row.

take a caddie riding is quicker, but you didnt go there cause you only have 4 hours to play and you need to get somewhere else. enjoy the walk, and the views are everything you see on TV and more.

• Upvote 1

Tools in the Ogio bag.
Driver      Callaway
 Razr Fit Xtreme 8.5* Extra Stiff

3 wood   Callaway X hot Stiff flex

Hybrid     Ping I20 3H 20* & 4H 23*
Irons       Ping  I20 5-PW

Wedges  Ping Tour Gorge 52 & 56 Callaway Mack daddy 60*

Putter     Scotty Cameron Monterey

Balls      Bridgestone B-330

Shoes          Skycaddie SGX

good ole bayonet and blackhorese.. see my wife is military and we got to play that course for 35$.. everyone else had to pay 125..LOL

those two courses were some of the most beautiful and toughest courses i have played to date.. but well worth the penny.. BTW i played the old courses and the new ones.

• Upvote 1

Tools in the Ogio bag.
Driver      Callaway
 Razr Fit Xtreme 8.5* Extra Stiff

3 wood   Callaway X hot Stiff flex

Hybrid     Ping I20 3H 20* & 4H 23*
Irons       Ping  I20 5-PW

Wedges  Ping Tour Gorge 52 & 56 Callaway Mack daddy 60*

Putter     Scotty Cameron Monterey

Balls      Bridgestone B-330

Shoes          Skycaddie SGX

good ole bayonet and blackhorese.. see my wife is military and we got to play that course for 35$.. everyone else had to pay 125..LOL

those two courses were some of the most beautiful and toughest courses i have played to date.. but well worth the penny.. BTW i played the old courses and the new ones.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 1126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!