IGNORED

Back to the drawing board!

Philly+15
Note: This thread is 3474 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, back in 2012 I got my game in decent shape (for me) was shooting in the low-mid 80's. Then last year I was convinced by a brilliant salesman at a certain golf store to upgrade my clubs to Titleist AP 2's. Well, what a mistake that was..... Last year I fell apart trying to use a "players club", by the end of the season I was back into the mid-high 90's. So now I'm looking for another set of clubs. I was hitting 09 Burners before trading them in for the AP 2's. I'm looking for suggestions on a new set. I have always hit the ball with above average distance and very high launch..... I'm open for any suggestions.... Thanks in advance!

IN MY 

2014 :titleist: Lightweight Cart BAG:

DRIVER: :titleist: 913D2
3&5 Wood:  :titleist: 913F

HYBRIDS: :ping: G20 20* 
IRONS: :tmade: 09 Burners 4-PW
WEDGES: :vokey: 52 & 56*

PUTTER: :ping: 

The first thing you need to figure out is a suitable shaft for your personal swing characteristics.

Then you need to decide on a suitable head which helps you as much as possible but at the same time doesn't limit you (e.g. if you intentionally draw/fade the ball you need to be able to still do this). It also needs to look good to your eye down at address and it needs to feel like you can hit the ball well with it.

It's a cliché to be sure but go and get a fitting if you want suitable clubs.

• Upvote 1

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

I harp em a lot but I love my Burner 2.0's. They do have a higher launch than some other irons but I try not to play in the wind, lol. For comparison, my driver swing speed is about 103-105, I cant remember my irons speed, but my 7 iron will do 160-170 all day with a nice tempo swing. Just my two cents, but I figured if you liked the burners, then this wouldn't be a big leap. But definitely hit anything you can get your hands on and find what fits you best.

• Upvote 1

So, back in 2012 I got my game in decent shape (for me) was shooting in the low-mid 80's. Then last year I was convinced by a brilliant salesman at a certain golf store to upgrade my clubs to Titleist AP 2's. Well, what a mistake that was..... Last year I fell apart trying to use a "players club", by the end of the season I was back into the mid-high 90's. So now I'm looking for another set of clubs. I was hitting 09 Burners before trading them in for the AP 2's.

I'm looking for suggestions on a new set. I have always hit the ball with above average distance and very high launch..... I'm open for any suggestions.... Thanks in advance!

Try AP1's if you like Titleist.

Also, its not always the equipment, though your swing probably tried to adapt to the new clubs. I would consider taking a lesson or posting a video of your swing on this forum to get some advice.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wouldn't say that I like titles at all, I think the salesman was just very successful in "up selling" an idiot (me). I'm very much a hacker who doesn't quite need a high launch game improvement iron.... BUT could use an iron that does help a little. I will definitely record my swing and post it first chance I get.

IN MY 

You didn't say...   Were you fitted for the AP 2's or did you just buy them "off the rack"?  If you weren't fitted, you might look into that before you just up and trade the clubs off.    Just a suggestion...............

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I find Cobra clubs very easy to hit, I upgraded to the Amp Cell irons (silver), and I really like them. But I shoot in the high eighties, low nineties, working on going lower and I think the Amp Cells will help. Good luck on your search.

• Upvote 1

All the manufacturers have good game improvement clubs today. It's just a matter of what looks good to you and what you feel most comfortable hitting. When I was upgrading my clubs last year, I hit Titleist AP1's, Mizuno JPX 825's and Ping G25's. I ended up going with the Ping G25's.....they are very forgiving and the distance between clubs is very consistent. I have to say they are the best clubs I ever owned and have helped me lower my handicap to be able to play bogey golf on a consistent basis. Also, Ping's customer service is the best.

I went in and hit the

Callaway XHot2

Ping G25

Cobra BioCell

Mizuno

I was dead set on the Cobra but they just didn't feel right. I hit all these numerous times but kept going back to the G25. Super Solid clubs and was dead on target with each shot.

• Upvote 1

Ping G25 Black Dot Irons

Ping G25 4 Wood 16*

Titleist 925i

Ben Hogan Putter

Ben Hogan 58* Wedge

"Cant Beat The Foot Joys"

I was going to get the ping G20 last year when I bought the ap2's and I did like them and hit them well according to the monitor. But I listened to the salesman and went with the AP'S.... I'm gonna go tomorrow night and swing a bunch of different stuff. The G25 will def be one them.

IN MY 

Spent the day at Golfsmith today. Hit just about every club they have. I left with a new set of Ping G20's (3,4 hybrid / 5-PW) on order. A very close second was the Callaway X2 Hot. The distance on the Callaway was crazy.... 15yards farther on some clubs. But the consistency was much better with the ping's. Since distance has never been my issue I went with what I was more consistent with.

IN MY 

It just goes to show that it is really more about what looks and feels right to you.

So True!!

I was hell Cobra BC, Just kept walking back to the ping.

Great Choice. Enjoy

Ping G25 Black Dot Irons

Ping G25 4 Wood 16*

Titleist 925i

Ben Hogan Putter

Ben Hogan 58* Wedge

"Cant Beat The Foot Joys"

• 6 months later...

Just a little update on the search to get back "in the swing of things"......  I used the Pings for the first half of the season, but ultimately ended up back with my trustee burners!  I guess I'm just gonna stick with what works!!!

IN MY 

Note: This thread is 3474 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!