IGNORED

Directed Force Putters

SamGray
Note: This thread is 2369 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Bill, I'll just say two things, and be done.

You've been a registered user here since 2013, and you've never reached out to us here about our Member Review program, to sponsor the site, to in any way engage with members outside of this thread in the last year or so. Maybe I'm forgetting a time when you did, but… that's my honest memory of it right now.

Second, I've already talked with two people in particular, privately, about their reactions in this thread, and made clear to them that they do not speak for TST, just as you will tell us that your other "fans" don't speak for DF. Yes? So we can agree that we've both had people somewhat mis-representing us? If so, okay, and we can put that to bed.

I sent an offer to you today via Matt Holm. One small change: though I'd said two spots were available, it's now down to one.

See you at the PGA Show.

I've said my peace and thank you for sharing your mind, I said a long time ago I didn't want to comment anymore unless I sponsored, so I did just that. However when I was alerted to the recent exchanges I logged back on to your blog to defend my company. Hopefully  I've able to  answer some of your members questions without creating more so I don't have to post anymore and feel like I'm promoting by helping people understand more. I did see you offer, thank you, however I did not budget for that this year and all current revenue is being reinvested into more inventory to sustain our growth, so I have to respectfully decline at this time. Yes let's talk more at the show that would be good. If you members here have any more questions or your team please just email me and I'd be happy to answer them. Out of respect for you and you business I'm logging out for a while, take care. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/23/2014 at 2:58 AM, Hack2putt said:

Do you have one of these putters Sam?

Why didn't you introduce yourself as the owner here?

On 7/25/2014 at 10:56 AM, Hack2putt said:

It's getting stellar reviews on fb

-Or here?

On 7/28/2014 at 8:48 PM, Jeremie Boop said:

Also, a lot of equipment is reviewed by this site. No better way to back up a claim about how great the equipment is than to provide one for review! Just saying.

So far as I know they have never contacted the site about it despite every time I search for some product review I get sent here by the Google.-Why have you not committed to have the staff here @ the site do a review?

On 7/28/2014 at 10:43 PM, dkolo said:

As luck would have it, most of us use our hands to hold the putter and don't have to swing using a jig. But if I were ever in a jig-required putting contest, I'd get you guys on the blower.

That is a funny one I forgot about.

On 7/29/2014 at 4:36 PM, iacas said:

The truth is likely that "torque balancing" doesn't matter at all given the minimal forces that exist during the typical putting stroke.

I can put pretty well with a wedge and it is the opposite of this.-It would fail miserably in the crutch. Same for a driver.

The crutch looks like a gimmick to make another gimmick look good.

On 7/29/2014 at 7:38 PM, iacas said:

Look, putting is a pretty simple act. The tools we use to putt are pretty simple too. Yet every year, five companies claim to "re-invent" putting. Odyssey last year or the year before with their black-and-white offerings claimed to finally have solved AIMING. You know, because after 150 years, they finally figured it out . Eh? Exactly.

Putters are the easiest club to get into business to make so that is what everyone does. Nobody can mount the RnD budget to make a driver for their first club-Everyone hopes to hit it big like the way Nicklaus helped the sales of the ZT615.

On 8/13/2014 at 1:20 PM, Hack2putt said:

Hey guys, I'm the owner and inventer, out of respect for Isaac I've stayed out of this thread. One patent is under review and the other is coming up. the grip technology is visible and will help you make more putts when installed on any putter, however the math formula for balancing a mass to stay square to the arc that the lie angle generates in a pendulum putting motion is and will remain a trade secret. Resistance to twisting can be done with front/back weighting and heel/toe weighting and combinations thereof . Forward shaft lean is helpful as well(offset)....the putter is all about real physics no gimmicks. It's being very received by many good players as well as some tour players(PGA and mini). All I can tell you is the putter works and works very well and in time more more professional players will be using it on tours and at your local club levels. The sandtrap will be receiving a putter for review within the next year and I will be paying for advertising and sponsorship on this site as putter sales take off . golferono has not been paid and has tried to show you guys a new product but cannot answer all your questions. If you have questions and Isaac permits I will be glad to answer them if I can.

Looks like a lot of those things did not happen.-Did you contact them and they refused to review your putter? @iacas do you have anything to say about that? The only advertising I have seen is here in this thread.

Why did it take over a year from your first posts to claim ownership of the company?-Makes your first two posts look bad.

Math is math and I bet there are smarter math people working at Odyssey alone than you are.-Call me a skeptic but it has saved me from many times wasting my time and money on things.

On 11/5/2015 at 6:30 PM, Matt Holm PGA said:

November 13th the UNLV Golf Team will be fitted for Directed Force Putters. Just saying you might want to reserve judgment until you've tried something firsthand.

A college coach buddy of mine just saw them in a tournament-Guess how many players he said had this putter? Also you should be careful with the NCAA.-This almost sounds like you are using student-athletes in order to promote this company.

11 hours ago, Hack2putt said:

I can promise you that know one from my company has set up 'fake accounts' or have I authorized or promoted anyone to do 'shilling' . I don't have time or energy to police what people say good bad or indifferent about my products on blogs, and am quite frankly pretty insulted of the things that are being said here on this site.

I think some members of the site are insulted as well-You probably are telling the truth that you do not have company shills come on here because the company is probably one person in size-You.

I was recently made aware of how this thread spiraled into the ground.

That is one way of seeing it.-I see it as people asking for proof. Put your money where your mouths are. It is against the rules to promote without being allowed to promote. That is simple. I do not even need a spiraly crutch to explain it right?

At one point I was ready to do some sponsoring but after reading all these posts I'm less than enthused to do so anymore.

I quoted you above - over a year ago you said you would send a putter and sponsor the site.-A year was up long before this thread spiraled into the ground in your words.

I have spent hundreds of thousands patenting , buying dies and cnc's and inventing a putter and a grip that feels and rolls great so that players much like yourself might make more putts and have more fun playing and help grow the game.

But you could not spend $399 or whatever they said above to sponsor the site and be legit?-This is like a Powerball winner balking at the price of a steak at Piggly Wiggly.

Okay I am not good at this taking apart quotes thing so sorry but I will just stop now-That took me way too long to do that right there and I am not sure it will even post right.

Dear sir, I am the inventor and owner of Directed Force Putters and Press Grips. I tried to be open and honest earlier in the thread and then got very busy doing putting seminars and demonstrations and building putters as well as being a widowed single parent.  I can promise you that know one from my company has set up 'fake accounts' or have I authorized or promoted anyone to do 'shilling' . I don't have time or energy to police what people say good bad or indifferent about my products on blogs, and am quite frankly pretty insulted of the things that are being said here on this site.  I was recently made aware of how this thread spiraled into the ground. At one point I was ready to do some sponsoring but after reading all these posts I'm less than enthused to do so anymore. I have spent hundreds of thousands patenting , buying dies and cnc's and inventing a putter and a grip that feels and rolls great so that players much like yourself might make more putts and have more fun playing and help grow the game. In real world testing has already proven itself a winner and countless PGA professional agree and have already put that in writing.  I don't pay anyone to use it however it won the NorCal senior PGA stroke play championship, the Sierra Nevada Chapter PGA Match play Championship (and many more than I'm not going to list) as well as countless First Tee, Drive chip and Putt and US kids golf championships, and will be played in the senior PGA championship and you will see it on the PGA tour most likely this year. If you or any one on this blog including the administrators have something to say or complain about please feel free to contact me at bill@directedforce.com. A full retraction of said accusations without warrant or proof would be appreciated. I have contributed 30 years to the golf business, I have two degrees in golf from the SDGA, low medalist PAT, owned a tour trailer and have done club repair fittings and swing analysts for 30 plus PGA Tour players, well over 40,000 lessons as well as being a Director of Instuction for many years working with bio motion sensors. I resigned from the PGA many years ago because of a family tragedy but stayed in the industry because of my passion to grow the game by helping players play better and score better. Dragging my name and company threw the dirt is a slap in the face. Sincerely Bill Presse IV

The owner of the site has contacted you.-This is a forum too and a very popular one so if you want to call it a blog as a way of putting it down the members will know you have failed.

What accusations have been made?-That people were here shilling for the company? They were. And you went two posts without identifying yourself while posting nice things too.

Nobody is dragging your name or company threw anything Bill.

9 hours ago, Hack2putt said:

Yeah good math but I teach/thought  half hour lessons, 2000-2500 per year Golftec, not including clinics, I worked I arsh off. It's not uncommon for top instructors to teach 2500 + per year with Golftec if you have a great referral client base. 

16 times 2500 is 40000. Long time teaching.-16 years for a company only been around 20.

If you care about teaching you might show some respect to the guys who run the site and people like me who have been teaching or are really great at teaching too.

You come on here all pissed off despite not identifying yourself early on, despite saying you will send a putter and sponsor and not doing so, and then failing again to send a putter for the Member Review program. Funny PING and other companies have done so.

4 hours ago, Hack2putt said:

I've said my peace and thank you for sharing your mind, I said a long time ago I didn't want to comment anymore unless I sponsored, so I did just that. However when I was alerted to the recent exchanges I logged back on to your blog to defend my company. Hopefully  I've able to  answer some of your members questions without creating more so I don't have to post anymore and feel like I'm promoting by helping people understand more. I did see you offer, thank you, however I did not budget for that this year and all current revenue is being reinvested into more inventory to sustain our growth, so I have to respectfully decline at this time. Yes let's talk more at the show that would be good. If you members here have any more questions or your team please just email me and I'd be happy to answer them. Out of respect for you and you business I'm logging out for a while, take care. 

We do not email questions-This is a public forum. If members here have questions they will post them here and the silence or answer will tell the tale.

Now I did not intend to care about this stuff.-My putter is probably older than you-It is definitely older than GolfTec-and it makes plenty of putts.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

Why didn't you introduce yourself as the owner here?

Or here?

So far as I know they have never contacted the site about it despite every time I search for some product review I get sent here by the Google.-Why have you not committed to have the staff here @ the site do a review?

That is a funny one I forgot about.

I can put pretty well with a wedge and it is the opposite of this.-It would fail miserably in the crutch. Same for a driver.

The crutch looks like a gimmick to make another gimmick look good.

Putters are the easiest club to get into business to make so that is what everyone does. Nobody can mount the RnD budget to make a driver for their first club-Everyone hopes to hit it big like the way Nicklaus helped the sales of the ZT615.

Looks like a lot of those things did not happen.-Did you contact them and they refused to review your putter? @iacas do you have anything to say about that? The only advertising I have seen is here in this thread.

Why did it take over a year from your first posts to claim ownership of the company?-Makes your first two posts look bad.

Math is math and I bet there are smarter math people working at Odyssey alone than you are.-Call me a skeptic but it has saved me from many times wasting my time and money on things.

A college coach buddy of mine just saw them in a tournament-Guess how many players he said had this putter? Also you should be careful with the NCAA.-This almost sounds like you are using student-athletes in order to promote this company.

I think some members of the site are insulted as well-You probably are telling the truth that you do not have company shills come on here because the company is probably one person in size-You.

That is one way of seeing it.-I see it as people asking for proof. Put your money where your mouths are. It is against the rules to promote without being allowed to promote. That is simple. I do not even need a spiraly crutch to explain it right?

I quoted you above - over a year ago you said you would send a putter and sponsor the site.-A year was up long before this thread spiraled into the ground in your words.

But you could not spend $399 or whatever they said above to sponsor the site and be legit?-This is like a Powerball winner balking at the price of a steak at Piggly Wiggly.

Okay I am not good at this taking apart quotes thing so sorry but I will just stop now-That took me way too long to do that right there and I am not sure it will even post right.

The owner of the site has contacted you.-This is a forum too and a very popular one so if you want to call it a blog as a way of putting it down the members will know you have failed.

What accusations have been made?-That people were here shilling for the company? They were. And you went two posts without identifying yourself while posting nice things too.

Nobody is dragging your name or company threw anything Bill.

16 times 2500 is 40000. Long time teaching.-16 years for a company only been around 20.

If you care about teaching you might show some respect to the guys who run the site and people like me who have been teaching or are really great at teaching too.

You come on here all pissed off despite not identifying yourself early on, despite saying you will send a putter and sponsor and not doing so, and then failing again to send a putter for the Member Review program. Funny PING and other companies have done so.

We do not email questions-This is a public forum. If members here have questions they will post them here and the silence or answer will tell the tale.

Now I did not intend to care about this stuff.-My putter is probably older than you-It is definitely older than GolfTec-and it makes plenty of putts

Interestingly, their website shows a review of the putter by none other than Bill Presse, thanking the company for providing him a "great deal to get him started selling" in Australia.....

http://www.directedforce.com/product-p/reno1.htm

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Hack2putt said:

Two of my reps  had this putter in the Revealer at a demo day at Bayonet , the Edel rep was there and watched, it did not stay square , spun and over rotated, actually did a 360* on a thirty foot putt, so therefore it's not really zero torque, nor the seemore that one is on YouTube. Lie Angle Balancing is different than just toe up balancing or what some people are calling dynamic balanced in that I balance the face to stay dead square to the arc, which is determined by a good fitting. Generally speaking the lie angle, length and spine angle determine a pendulum strokes arc, once that arc is identified each putter is hand balanced until it stays square to the arc, however I can make the putter face match a path that would be different than what the  lie angle arc might be ,within reason of course. I hope this helps, take care  

I've re-read most of this thread and my objections remain the same (and are the same for the E-Series or Torque Balanced Edels):

• I don't believe everyone will be able to aim this putter. I've seen how large an effect tiny differences affect the ability to aim. (Link to the post below.)
  • I don't believe that whether something is torque balanced, face balanced, etc. matters all that much. The forces present in a putting stroke pale in comparison to those I experience when hitting a 6-iron or a driver.

I think, as I've said above, that putting is a fairly simple act. It's a flat piece on the end of a stick (unless you're Teardrop). People putt well with putters of all types. I beat people putting with a 35" lefty Callaway Tuttle putter fairly often.

Finally, honestly, I'd question the veracity of the video fitting. What are you measuring there - just the lie angle? Because as you know you can take the putter straight back and straight through from any lie angle, which is to say that you can also take a putter with any lie angle back on any arc you want, too. The arc and lie angle are not tied together. So I'm a bit skeptical when someone touts their thorough fitting process, only to show us a 90-second video that explains the process "step by step."

Bill, I know my lie angle. It happens to be 71°, on a 33" putter. My current putter has a 370g head with a 60g counterweight. It's even a mallet shape. Send me a putter and I'll be open and honest with my thoughts. I'll publish a full review. The offer stands.

Our reporters will be happy to meet with you at the show. I likely will not visit your booth as I'll be busy mostly helping to promote my upcoming LSW DVD, training instructors in both 5SK and LSW (though that's Monday/Tuesday), and meeting with a few of the bigger companies that have worked with us in our 11+ years.

Just saw your post, @Phil McGleno, so please just chill. You didn't do anything "wrong" per se, but I think at this point it's just beating a dead horse. I think there's enough here for people to reach their own conclusions.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

25 minutes ago, cmherrbach said:

Guess the putter does not make everything.-Go figure.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

• iacas locked this topic
  • 1 year later...

Wow, I just read through the very entertaining thread on Directed Force Putters. You guys were brutal, but I do have a question.  Had anyone actually tried one? Was curious and debating on getting one and wanted to know if anyone actually had some real world experience.  I am a member of a different golf forum and there is quite a bit of chatter over there.  I like as many sources as possible though before making decisions.  This site had the most negatives, so I figured I'd start here.  

Thanks in advance, and please be gentle with the pitch forks.  I know this is my first post on here and this topic is, well let's just say sensitive. 

• iacas unlocked this topic

Why is it so hard to believe that there might be another good option for putters? 

Who in the right mind in the Golfing community would expose their name and credibility in a public forum and other social media for something they don't truly believe to be good? Even if it was for a profit.

I get the policy of pay to advertise in this forum like most other forums, as such it is regulated by moderators and owners.

You don't buy what the guy is selling, saying or believe? then don't....this prove it to me attitude about a putter a guy believes to be the best is crazy. You are not gonna buy a putter without trying it anyway, are you?

I read the entire threat. 

• Administrator

@Hategolf, what's your issue, exactly?

There are a few issues here, IIRC:

• The owner didn't identify himself as such for awhile. That's devious.
  • The physics are suspect. The torques in putting are incredibly minimal. The physics behind the putter is the foundation of the putter, they're the "wow" factor. Yet, they're suspect.
  • People can't all aim the same putter the same way. They can't all control distance the same way, either.
  • We offered to review the putter. The owner made up excuses as to why he couldn't do that.
  • We don't just give away free advertising. Sorry.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@iacas,  as someone who is new to the forum, and after reading the entire post I will  tell you that some folks ganging up to discredit the putter creator and a couple of his supporters seems a little too far fetch. Even if the putter does not work as described.

Perhaps I just don't understand the culture in this forum.

As a suggestion, this threat could have being closed as soon as advertisement was suspected and discussed.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Hategolf said:

@iacas,  as someone who is new to the forum, and after reading the entire post I will  tell you that some folks ganging up to discredit the putter creator and a couple of his supporters seems a little too far fetch. Even if the putter does not work as described.

It's a public forum. We try to resist locking any topic. Simple as that.

Did you guys check out the booth at the PGA show? Does anyone on here have any insight at all? This thing is a mystery.  I've read tins of revues of people saying they love it, yet I have yet to see a single review of someone who actually tried it and didn't like it.  

Ah screw it, I'll bite and order one.  I'll let you guys know how it goes. 

1 hour ago, JPitts said:

Did you guys check out the booth at the PGA show? Does anyone on here have any insight at all? This thing is a mystery.  I've read tins of revues of people saying they love it, yet I have yet to see a single review of someone who actually tried it and didn't like it.  

Ah screw it, I'll bite and order one.  I'll let you guys know how it goes. 

I tried it at the PGA show last year. The special grip is an interesting concept but the putter itself played more or less like your standard mallet.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

• Administrator
9 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

I tried it at the PGA show last year. The special grip is an interesting concept but the putter itself played more or less like your standard mallet.

Ditto. It's nothing special.

Ok, I buy the bullet and did the online fitting and ordering.  The online fitting nailed my length and lie angle. 34 inches at 66 degrees.  It should be here within a week.  I'll chime in once I get it.

• 3 months later...
On 1/31/2017 at 3:30 PM, JPitts said:

Ok, I buy the bullet and did the online fitting and ordering.  The online fitting nailed my length and lie angle. 34 inches at 66 degrees.  It should be here within a week.  I'll chime in once I get it.

@JPitts Any feedback?

I reviewed the thread, and wow, a bit brutal at times. At other times, justified. Have read reviews on a couple of other sites. All positive - only negative I heard was it is light. From what I understand from recent posts is that you can ask them for a heavier weight in the head, and they are customizing the sight line, I assume, to make aim more accurate. Erik has a great point - aim is my first priority.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 3 months later...

Gosh, already 3.5 yrs since this thread began. Time flies, but the DF still seems in its infancy, and no, I haven't seen any on the PGA Tour. Maybe the can opener or garden hoe look is too much for a PGA Tour Player. Nevertheless, had read many recent positive reviews. So without further ado...

When I visited San Francisco in July, I went by Alameda Golfworks near Oakland and was fitted for a Directed Force. Aim is my first priority, and typically, I generally aim a mallet well, but not a centershafted and not with sightlines, and the DF had both. I was aiming everything a few inches left. Then I had an idea and took an old demo with a T line that was shorter (not alll the way heel to toe as in the newest design). After a few minutes at various distances, I aimed the shorter "T" line straight.

He fitted me for lie angle and length as they want this club to putt level as to lie - the "lie balancing." I asked him to make it heavier than standard but within the boundaries of the lie limitations - maybe it's a balance issue. I did not go for the Presse Grip - too firm and even for me, it was weird. I went with a GP Tour Snsr. Was I that impressed with the physics? Not on astroturf. I did notice that the shape did not bother me - I was focused on the front - a dimple on the back of the bal. The back of the putter is actually a training aid - put a couple of balls in there, or one ball - tempo, lie aid.

The putter is forged aluminum with a black anodized finish - doesn't "tink" like the usual Al putter - feel is surprisingly solid. Okay, almost 6 weeks later, the DF arrives. Because the shaft is over an inch behind the face, ball position can be mismanaged. First time out, I hit a lot of pushes. Viewed a vid and moved ball posiiton to just inside the left heel - it helped. With all of that "stuff" back there, my Edel E-1 is easier to aim. The 3rd time out with the DF, things got better -

I did notice a couple of factors that stood out on real grass (this is not on  the course, but practice green): The putter does seem very stable, I am able to grip it lightly (1/10) and then on the thru stroke, I add pressure (3/10) so energy goes to the ball without twisting, and distance control was uncannily consistent. The preceding will not apply to everyone as golfers have different reactions to a single club. I have putter issues, so I think the lighter grip pressure used on this putter allowed me to retain whatever athleticism I have over a putt. I need to try a similar grip pressure on my E-1. But distance control on the DF is great - better than any putter I've owned (slightly better than my Edel - but the E-1 is only semi-custom)  - maybe this design fits me better in some ways but not others.

So far, the DF Is promising. But as we all know, the true test is on the course and competition. I will get it to the course and provide feedback.

Reaction? When I pull it out, the guys say "WTF is that?" I answer "Putter. See what it does." I then twirl the head like a freewheeling propeller and they say "OOOOOhhh." Now to see if it works on the course.

Edited by Mr. Desmond
  • Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Of course, we need pics to go with the preceding post. Nice headcover - magnetized closure. Doesn't take up much space at the top and to the side. And with that indent on the back, you can pick balls up off the green.

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

Edited by Mr. Desmond
  • Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2369 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!