IGNORED

Try working on the basics first?

RayG
Note: This thread is 3697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Now, I'm not the greatest out there, and will freely admit that. BUT- while at the range this AM, watching him setup his swingbyte type of device thing, pull out his Driver, clip on the clippy thing and start wailing away spraying to all fields kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? I peeked a few times and saw that the swingspeed was ranging from 81-90mph. As it started the numbers were low, but direction was everywhere. Then he was just swinging harder to get the speed up, but accuracy was the same- non-existent. I didn't see him using the path option which is part of the package, right? Is it something I'm missing, or should someone work on finding a groove for accuracy before worrying about the clubhead speed numbers on a screen? I'll remind you that they showed up, poured the balls into the tray, clipped onto the driver, and machine gunned right off the bat- no stretching, warming up with a 7 iron and the like. Stone cold rapid fire... I suppose he was all excited to get out with the new driver- From my angle I could see that it was barely used if at all, along with the price sticker and manufacturer label still on the shaft. To each his own, I guess...

Funny, I had a guy next to me yesterday almost just like that. After my routine of stretching, hitting 1/2 shots with my wedges, ect. he rolls up, and mind you this dude is about 45-50 yrs old, and way over weight. He pulls his what looks to be a 8i hits 3 shots, badly pulled ones at that, then pulls the driver out.

The sound, as he was to my back, sounded as if someone was shooting bb's at a tin can, just one after the other, so I stopped, and sat down for a couple of mins. to watch this dude, hit duck hooks, bad low pulls, he was coming over the top as if it were the correct way to swing. He kept grumbling about the flight path, yet mad no effort to even slightly correct it. I just went about working on my stuff, until he finally ran out of balls, which was pretty quick, considering he had a large bucket, I'd probably hit 10-15 balls by the time he finished..lol

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Guys like that are not just wasting their time, they are ingraining bad swing habits they will likely never overcome. I am usually a very diligent practicer and hit a 15-20 shots with a pw or 9i, then work my way up through the bag. But even then I felt I moved up to the driver too quickly and let it dominate my practice session. So this weekend I bought the ultra sized range bucket and hit 10-12 shots with every single club working from my wedges on up. I even had brought an extra wedge for the practice session so by the time I even touched the driver I had hit 130+ full swing shots. Session lasted nearly three hours and it was one of the best range sessions I've had.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Not sure which is more annoying...the rapid fire driver guys, or the golf snobs who are way too worried about what other people are doing.

Or the  snobs commenting on the snobs...

Or the  snobs commenting on the snobs...

took the words right out of my mouth

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

The only reason I was "worried" about what this guy was doing is that he might wind up in front of me someday, and I'll have to wait while he thinks he;s going to launch one 500 yards because his swing speed is 135mph. But like 99.9999% of regular folks, he's gonna drop mortar shells all over the place and have to go hunting for them...;-) Well, that and I couldn't miss his setup- next stall over, setting his iPad on a chair facing us, and the beeping every time he swung.

Lol...wasn't calling you guys snobs. You guys are just noticing other people. I'm talking about the guys that literally stare at what you're doing and every shot you hit, and then try and hit better shots than you. Super annoying. But, yeah, the rapid fire guys are annoying just because you can't ignore the constant huffing and puffing. Basically I hate everyone at the driving range lol.

Well what bothers me is the range at my course has no stalls so it's wide open if some idiot either severly shanks one or clips it off the toe it could easily thwack you wherever on your backside and these dorks usually hit behind the ropes the course sets up because they want to hit off fresh grass rather than move the ball in back of each divot and remove a nice even patch, instead they take random chunks all over our grass range. I really try to block out what people are doing mostly even though I can tell who is just hacking balls out there pretty quick compared to those that are actually trying to work on something. Personally I usually never get to the driver while at the range I'm usually hitting 7 irons for more than half of it and when I do it's just a few swings.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Actually I thought the title of this thread was directed at some specific members here who no matter how much they are told what they should work on still insist upon doing it their failed way. I'm not going to give specific names but I don't know why or understand why they would waste Mike and Eriks time for advice and then totally disregard it for some other crap that will not help at all other than it would be more fun to try this instead. The other thing I see a lot of is some real ridiculous estimations on how far some of these guys think they can really hit a golf ball consistently. I guess the term consistently or average means a lot of different things to some folks and I play alongside guys who can do what they claim but they are all very low indexes and some plus also consistently, meaning you have to be this good to be able to average these type of distances there are no exceptions or else you would be a zero or plus also.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

[QUOTE name="Hammer 4" url="/t/72677/try-working-on-the-basics-first#post_953944"]   Or the  snobs commenting on the snobs... [/QUOTE] took the words right out of my mouth

Or the snobs commenting on the snobs commenting on the snobs....

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I remember late last year when I was doing a lesson the instructor stopping me a few minutes in and told me to look at the stall next to us. He mentioned that the guy hitting just finished a lesson with him and he couldn't believe he was hitting driver after he was instructed what to work on with his irons. He kept repeating "wrong, "wrong" after every time the guy would take a swing with his driver. I found it kind of funny.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Guys like that are not just wasting their time, they are ingraining bad swing habits they will likely never overcome. I am usually a very diligent practicer and hit a 15-20 shots with a pw or 9i, then work my way up through the bag. But even then I felt I moved up to the driver too quickly and let it dominate my practice session. So this weekend I bought the ultra sized range bucket and hit 10-12 shots with every single club working from my wedges on up. I even had brought an extra wedge for the practice session so by the time I even touched the driver I had hit 130+ full swing shots. Session lasted nearly three hours and it was one of the best range sessions I've had.

]You might want to review waiting on your driver that long. It is typically the most difficult and fatiguing club to hit well, so try hitting it in the middle of your session when you're not tired, and then winding down w easier clubs

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

[QUOTE name="14ledo81" url="/t/72677/try-working-on-the-basics-first#post_953995"] Or the snobs commenting on the snobs commenting on the snobs....[/QUOTE] Dude, you can only take the snob thing so far.....:-D

Yeah..it definitely loses a little with every added snob.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Well, I'll admit I'm not quite a diligent in my range routine as some folks (12 balls a club working thru the bag.. yeah, you know who I'm talking about:-P), but I try and work on what I want to work on that day. And I admit I tend to work on my driving mostly, but not a machine gun. My irons are decent so I don't want to spend too much time thinking about those. I'll start with a few practice swings with the Torc Dogturd Trainer thing on a 7 iron, just to get a bit stretched out. Then the PW for a couple, 7I, 5I, 3I and such. I'll move to the 5w off the deck, 3w off the deck til there's about 60-70 left in the bucket (about 110 balls). They are mats, but a couple are nice "Florida Fairway" type lie mats and I look for those (not usually a problem when its 30 something degrees @ 9am right after it opens). I have my OWN selection of those tee things for the different lengths for the various clubs. I have a short tee for the Fairway 3wd and my 'driving' strong 3w, and 2 different lengths for my driver that I change for different ball flights, wind conditions, etc... . I hit the 3 wds off the tee, then move onto the driver and work of specific things that I need to do. Might be wrist release, it might be more hip rotation, etc... but I'll only swing about 5 for each discipline, then break with a few 7i swings, then go back. Until the last 10 balls or so, then I'll try and put it all together for real. Some days it works, and sometimes it doesn't- which is why I keep going back. It's also just to keep a feel going before heading to Florida in March. As for machine gun Kelly next to me, he might have hit 100 balls in 5 minutes if it had been one of those automated tee deals. But I think actually having to bend over and put a ball up only slowed him up a little bit.

Not sure which is more annoying...the rapid fire driver guys, or the golf snobs who are way too worried about what other people are doing.

[quote name="Hammer 4" url="/t/72677/try-working-on-the-basics-first#post_953944"] Or the  snobs commenting on the snobs... [/quote]Yeah, stop judging people for being judgmental! ;)

Note: This thread is 3697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!